2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

Nets new floor at Izod center

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/8/21/3257432/is-that-the-barclays-floor-at-izod

It says they are getting a while new type of wood flooring that only Brooklyn would have.. Not sure what that really means, pattern of wood maybe(which looks different than the standard but the picture was taken on instagram so who knows)?

Not to derail the thread, but it looks like that nets daily website is using a fraser davidson logo i saw here: http://dribbble.com/shots/537905-Nets-2

If I'm not mistaken, Fraser is in the process of rebranding all of the SBNation sites.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it looks like knicks are finally using blue from the logo on away jersey

Thats not for sure. In the last NBA 2k games the Knicks unis also used the blue of the logo and not the real darker and brighter blue.

jeremylin.jpgKnicks_20Lin_20Basketball__27528492__MBQF-1342599234,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

If not burl, I'm going to guess bamboo.

bamboo-flooring.jpg

A bamboo floor, those quite expensive, would be amazing. It has a certain "matte" finish to it. The only downside would be that matte finish would be forced to become somewhat gloss once the lacquer was applied...

Bamboo is less expensive than hardwood. I just priced it when installing flooring in the whole upstairs of my house a few months back.

Besides, price is not an issue to this owner. The court is a one-time expense, he'll buy what he wants.

87Redskins.png

If not burl, I'm going to guess bamboo.

bamboo-flooring.jpg

A bamboo floor, those quite expensive, would be amazing. It has a certain "matte" finish to it. The only downside would be that matte finish would be forced to become somewhat gloss once the lacquer was applied...

Bamboo is less expensive than hardwood. I just priced it when installing flooring in the whole upstairs of my house a few months back.

Besides, price is not an issue to this owner. The court is a one-time expense, he'll buy what he wants.

Bamboo is more renewable (grows much quicker) so they could be angling for that if they went that way...

I'm not sure the obsession with the multi-paneled side panels in your designs. It kind of looks like doing it just for the sake of doing it. There's plenty of room for experimentation with these things, but on an otherwise completely traditional set, it looks totally out of place, and frankly, something you'd see on a Bobcats jersey. Non-traditional trim is fine on an otherwise non-traditional uniform, or if there's something unique about it that ties into the team's name or location (like the checkered panels on that old Bobcats alt), but if there's really no other reason to do it, just stick with the tried and true vertical stripes (or nothing at all.) I really like the stripes on their most recent set, but I kind of think that they really don't need any at all.

On a side note, I really like gray basketball uniforms, and they look especially nice with bold colors (royal and orange in this case.) If the Knicks used more gray, I wouldn't mind them adopting something like that as a home jersey, if it was allowed (which I know it's not right now.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nets uniform from 2K13 leaked?

0.jpg

From uni-watch.com

i'd be fine with this. it's probably what most of us have come to expect. i think the simplicity of the black and white could really pop on the home uniform.

overall, i'll take this approach rather than them trying something radical and failing.

sig2024.png

Nets uniform from 2K13 leaked?

0.jpg

From uni-watch.com

If that's it, I'm kinda "meh" on it to be honest. I like simple basketball uniforms, but I think this might be too simple. The Celtics can pull that kind of look off, because that's what they've had for decades. The Nets, however? I don't think so.

It would've been nice to have at least carried over the net side panels from New Jersey. Those were probably one my favorite design elements in sports, and such a panel in black and white would still look good.

All in all, I'm not sure I've been too impressed with this rebrand as a whole. I get the idea, believe me, but it just doesn't work for me. The logo came out good I think, but while I like simple black with white and/or silver, that really only works when no one else in your league does it. That's why the Spurs, Raiders, and (off-and-on) Kings of the sports world stand out. For me at least, it's just a look that only works when one team per league is exclusive to it. Past that, the "coolness" and uniqueness of it all starts to lose its' luster.

Now, what I think could've really been cool and different yet get the same idea across would've been black and a slightly-heavier-than-usual-cream. No white at all. I think those two colors together would look sharp. Throw in the net panels, and you win me over.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I really hope this is fake, because it's boring and somehow manages to rip off the Celtics, Cavs, and Spurs at the same time.

No one's going to consider it a "rip off" of the the Cavaliers or Celtics. Black and white is not going to be confused with wine and athletic gold or kelly green and white. Not to mention all three have unique wordmarks and number fonts. As for the Spurs? I think the absence of silver side panels and a simpler wordmark/font will be enough to differentiate them.

Given the simplicity of the logos, I'm not sure what else you could expect from them uniform-wise. They weren't going to with straight black and white logos and simple typefaces and yet come out with modern uniforms. Especially not after it was revealed that Jay-Z apparently pushed for the current look with the intent to create something classic like the Spurs and Celtics. Given the goals he wanted to accomplish with the Nets' new look, I'd say he accomplished it. Now granted the Tampa Bay Lightning did that too, but the differences is the Nets didn't rip off an existing traditional team (or teams) to do it. You obviously disagree, but then again I don't find what the Nets are doing to infringe on the identities of any of the three teams you mentioned.

Given the simplicity of the logos, I'm not sure what else you could expect from them uniform-wise. They weren't going to with straight black and white logos and simple typefaces and yet come out with modern uniforms. Especially not after it was revealed that Jay-Z apparently pushed for the current look with the intent to create something classic like the Spurs and Celtics. Given the goals he wanted to accomplish with the Nets' new look, I'd say he accomplished it. Now granted the Tampa Bay Lightning did that too, but the differences is the Nets didn't rip off an existing traditional team (or teams) to do it. You obviously disagree, but then again I don't find what the Nets are doing to infringe on the identities of any of the three teams you mentioned.

that's how i feel.

i'm not disappointed, because my expectations were simple and an attempt at iconic. especially when you consider jay z's baseball rooting interest. do these (or some version of these) do that? hard to tell from a small screen shot of a video game, but again: i'm fine with them.

sig2024.png

No one's going to consider it a "rip off" of the the Cavaliers or Celtics.

Same number font as the Cavs, and the trim is almost exactly the same as the Celtics'. This is particularly egregious because the Nets and Celtics are divisional rivals.

As for the Spurs? I think the absence of silver side panels and a simpler wordmark/font will be enough to differentiate them.

The very similar color scheme and collar design is too close to the Spurs for comfort.

They weren't going to with straight black and white logos and simple typefaces and yet come out with modern uniforms.

A simple two-color scheme doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a modern uniform.

d5c889fcb2d45e15cd7f5425afa7d3c8-getty-91022348bb003_houston_rockets_media_day_large.jpg

maroon_gold_400h.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

No one's going to consider it a "rip off" of the the Cavaliers or Celtics.

Same number font as the Cavs, and the trim is almost exactly the same as the Celtics'. This is particularly egregious because the Nets and Celtics are divisional rivals.

The number font, for the Nets, will be thinner then the variation the Cavs use. As for the Celtics? Trim isn't an issue when you're talking two different colour schemes that will not be confused with one and other. At least as far as claims of "rip off" go.

As for the Spurs? I think the absence of silver side panels and a simpler wordmark/font will be enough to differentiate them.

The very similar color scheme and collar design is too close to the Spurs for comfort.

The liberal use of silver on the Spurs' part is enough to keep them from seeming like rip offs, in my opinion. Kind of like the Lightning could avoid the claims of ripping off the Leafs if they increased the use of black.

They weren't going to with straight black and white logos and simple typefaces and yet come out with modern uniforms.

A simple two-color scheme doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a modern uniform.

d5c889fcb2d45e15cd7f5425afa7d3c8-getty-91022348bb003_houston_rockets_media_day_large.jpg

That's not a two colour colour scheme. The roads are red with silver stripes and white logos, numbers, names, and wordmarks. The homes include a subtle but noticeable black drop shadow on the wordmark, numbers, and logos.

Also, the Rockets were going for a futuristic theme. Modern fits. The Nets were trying to create a classic look. Modern wouldn't have worked.

maroon_gold_400h.jpg

Number font aside, it looks fairly traditional. Single colour jersey with single colour numbers, solid colour pants....nothing that seems to overtly modern about it.

Archived