2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came across it in another forum that Heat's away black jersey will now have Miami instead of Heat like before.

Can't verify it but found this:

1a_authentic_jerseys_img_3.jpg

Miami alternates wont have player names?

No. The jerseys will. My assumption here is that it is just what the jerseys will look like.

Here's my renders of the Brooklyn unis, based on the leaked McFarlane photo:

BKN-real-home-uni.png

BKN-real-away-uni.png

If it's anything close to looking like this, then Brookyln will have one of my favorite identities in the league.

Thank god they didn't take the blue of the logo.

The mismatched Blues were somewhat fixed with the logo change from last season.

I would assume that the new unis will follow the new(er) Blue from the logo.

Here's my renders of the Brooklyn unis, based on the leaked McFarlane photo:

BKN-real-home-uni.png

BKN-real-away-uni.png

If it's anything close to looking like this, then Brookyln will have one of my favorite identities in the league.

Compared to the many bright colors and uniform combinations in sports, The Nets new identity is very refreshing and bold.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

That new Nets looks is awful. It looks like a high school jersey. Did anyone put any thought into it?

The fact that it's so minimalist proves that someone put a lot of thought into it.

You might not like the results, but everyting about this identity was clearly very carefully calculated. How successful it will be can be debated.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The above mockups are a gorgeous example of minimalism in uniform design. This is a million times better than many of those overdesigned uniforms with random piping, gaudy wordmarks, "modern" designs, etc. There is a place for that, but there is also a place for sublime, minimalistic designs like this one.

This is the beginning of a new attitude in designing sports uniforms, I think. We've seen this type of minimalism in corporate branding for years now - Apple, Google, Facebook, now Microsoft, and so many other companies (and brands as well). It's only logical that it would eventually carry over into sports as well. This isn't the first minimalist sports identity unveiled in recent times, but it's unquestionably the prime example of it now.

Expect other teams to begin following suit. This could be the best trend to hit sports in years (it could be the best since the retro trend in both ballparks and baseball uniforms, IMO). The logo and wordmark have caught on like wildfire in New York and the surrounding areas, and other teams having stale identities who are having problems moving merchandise would be idiots not to notice.

One other thing to note: this has a much greater potential to become a "classic" uniform than those overdesigned, "modern" uniforms that follow whatever trend is in that day. Look at how dated some of those uniforms from the 70's, 80's, and 90's (in all sports) look today. Yet the ones that followed a fairly simple design in line with the traditions of their respective sport still hold up well today. Bettman stripes, swooshes, non-contrasting numbers and wordmarks, etc., are going to look hideously dated in a short matter of time. This uniform has a much better change of standing the test of time.

Assuming these are fairly accurate (and I'd be very surprised if they aren't), I just hope these don't get thrown in the wastebin whenever the current minimalist trend ends. They have the potential to be modern classics, regardless of trends.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Archived