Conrad.

2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

The above mockups are a gorgeous example of minimalism in uniform design...

Expect other teams to begin following suit. This could be the best trend to hit sports in years (it could be the best since the retro trend in both ballparks and baseball uniforms, IMO). T

Actually, I see the Nets design (if this is indeed it) as merely the latest step in a trend of retro unis, including PHI, UTA, WAS, and CLE. Of course, while PHI and WAS went with modernized versions of older unis, UTA and CLE played it fairly straight (CLE in particular went old school with no particular antecedent).

I like the Nets unis. Less is more. Knicks taking the same approach.

-+1, Depends on the team.

True. For some teams, less is less. For example, I liked the Cavaliers previous "LeBron era" uniforms more than than the current ones.

That new Nets looks is awful. It looks like a high school jersey. Did anyone put any thought into it?

The fact that it's so minimalist proves that someone put a lot of thought into it.

Yeah, at least 4 minutes, maybe 5.

Don't be an a$$hole. Every identity is a culmination of hard work from many different individuals. There were probably about 15-20 people working for 6 months or more on this project, and in the end, only 1% of all the thought and effort put into the development becomes the actual team identity. You don't go into a room and say, 'I think this needs to be really simple and classic,' put the graphics on a basic jersey and hand it over 10 minutes later.

Simmer down, lunchbox. I will poop on you while you sleep.

I think they suck. You love them. In the grand scheme of things, who cares how they look as long as they play well. They are still an awful team.

Are....are you for real? [/Freeza]

Really wish they would just use the orange from the logo for the New York wordmark instead of that shade of red.

Here's my renders of the Brooklyn unis, based on the leaked McFarlane photo:

BKN-real-home-uni.png

BKN-real-away-uni.png

I hope this is at least close to what they're planning, its simple yet sharp.

I think they suck. You love them. In the grand scheme of things, who cares how they look as long as they play well. They are still an awful team.

oh, i don't know. pretty much everyone in a discussion forum about sports uniforms and logos.

Here's my renders of the Brooklyn unis, based on the leaked McFarlane photo:

BKN-real-home-uni.png

BKN-real-away-uni.png

Still wish the net side panels would've carried over.

I'm sorry, I'm still just "meh" with this whole identity. I get that it was done with tons of thought and calculation, but for me at least, there's just nothing to it. Nothing grabs me at all.

It's one thing to have a simple, classic uniform when there's a history behind it; the Celtics, that uniform evokes Russell, Havlicek, Bird, McHale, etc. That's what grabs you about it. This, though? There's nothing. If the Nets were a Celtics or a Knicks or a Lakers or something, this works. But they're the Nets. It's like when the Lightning made thier changes; they aren't an original six team, they're the Lightning. So thier changes just come across as "wannabe-ish" and don't evoke anything special.

Again, I understand the thought behind it. Some, maybe many will like this set, and that's great. But for me, I feel the same way about this set as I do the Lightning. It just isn't anything special.

Those arm stripes annoy the hell out of me.

And that Nets identity is awesome. I especially like how both jerseys are identical, except for everything white on the home being black on the road, and vice versa, like the Celtics with white and green. Extra points for there being no blue or red. Very strong, very simple. I'm not even a Nets fan and I want one.

Still wish the net side panels would've carried over.

I'm sorry, I'm still just "meh" with this whole identity. I get that it was done with tons of thought and calculation, but for me at least, there's just nothing to it. Nothing grabs me at all.

It's one thing to have a simple, classic uniform when there's a history behind it; the Celtics, that uniform evokes Russell, Havlicek, Bird, McHale, etc. That's what grabs you about it. This, though? There's nothing. If the Nets were a Celtics or a Knicks or a Lakers or something, this works. But they're the Nets. It's like when the Lightning made thier changes; they aren't an original six team, they're the Lightning. So thier changes just come across as "wannabe-ish" and don't evoke anything special.

Again, I understand the thought behind it. Some, maybe many will like this set, and that's great. But for me, I feel the same way about this set as I do the Lightning. It just isn't anything special.

They are the Nets, but they are also Brooklyn's new team. So the identity evokes Brooklyn, which has a rich history and brand characteristics of its own, and does it quite well, IMO.

You really have to know Brooklyn to get it though.

Really wish they would just use the orange from the logo for the New York wordmark instead of that shade of red.

The photo is using a different contrast. Even the wordmark on the old uniforms are red.

The Knicks might as well keep the black if they're going to use gray as an accent color. It looks just as bad/out of place as the black did. SFSS.

And are people beginning to come around to the Nets' new identity? They had two years to come up with something mindblowing, yet they totally mailed in the logo and the uniforms are obviously going to be about as bland as they get. Personally, I think everything about the new Nets rebrand is awful, but I guess that's just me.

The Knicks might as well keep the black if they're going to use gray as an accent color. It looks just as bad/out of place as the black did. SFSS.

And are people beginning to come around to the Nets' new identity? They had two years to come up with something mindblowing, yet they totally mailed in the logo and the uniforms are obviously going to be about as bland as they get. Personally, I think everything about the new Nets rebrand is awful, but I guess that's just me.

The Nets' alternate logo is good, I don't like the primary, and the uniforms are weak. They could have spruced them up a bit; I get that they are going minimalist, but having the side paneling match the collar and shorts would have been great. A generic font for the wordmarks and a number font that looks like modified impact doesn't help either.

Re: the Nets' new clownsuits - is that the sound of drying paint I hear? Yawn.

I'm reserving judgment on the new Knicks unis until I see them.

They've had silver in their logo since they came out with the current one 20 years ago, and it looks like a minor accent color, so I'm not too worried about that. The truncated shoulder stripes are weird.

The new, tighter "NEW YORK" arc looks bunched on the video game pics and the teasers, so I'm curious to see what it looks like for real.

I was hoping they'd bring the tri-color waste band back.

It's fine to think that they suck, but to devalue the hard work and thought that many people put into this project is tactless and ignorant.

I don't think that everything about the Nets rebrand is awful, but I'm also not a fan of it. I'll give it a little time to see everything in context and judge how well it all works together, but I think they missed a great opportunity with this one. Many of the concepts that were based on the subway signs could have become great identities, many of the concepts with simple scripts would have worked as well. I dislike the font in the logo as well as the B-ball. something about the tilt of the ball doesn't seem right to me, and the B just really isn't distinct enough for my tastes (it doesn't have to be flashy by any means, but I just think the font they went with was too conservative for this particular job. It just doesn't work for a stand-alone letter.) I appreciate minimalism, but I think that they could have accomplished it while still having just a touch of flare - especially since they chose plain black-and-white. But I'll give it a chance. These people aren't dumb when it comes to marketing so I'm willing to wait and see how it all comes together.

I think, looking strictly at the old subway signs the Nets used for inspiration, I don't see another way to go with these unis and the entire rebrand for that matter. Anything too modern and I feel the concept is lost. I personally think its a nuce evolution for a team that has been all over the place(both good and bad ways) in terms of uniform design. Brooklyn's team has a look that just might stick for a long time.