Conrad.

2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

If you really wanted to do a Subway uniform, you would have taken design cues from the modern New York Subway that people actually use, have grown up with, and recognize around the country, the one with colored dots and Helvetica and all that. This just feels like they wanted to do All Black Everything and retconned it as "I saw some old subway signs once. Brooklyn."

I was at a restaurant the other day and I saw a pic of I think it was Marilyn Monroe and she had a street sign behind her with a font that closely resembled the nets and instantly saw a connection, granted it was a black and white photo but still, I got that classic new York theme from it. And I'd imagine people from the area can actually relate. I oils be way wrong though.

The Knicks might as well keep the black if they're going to use gray as an accent color. It looks just as bad/out of place as the black did.

Come on, no it doesn't. The black was splotched all over the place and a very sharp contrast to the other colors. The gray is minimal and neutral.

The Knicks might as well keep the black if they're going to use gray as an accent color. It looks just as bad/out of place as the black did. SFSS.

And are people beginning to come around to the Nets' new identity? They had two years to come up with something mindblowing, yet they totally mailed in the logo and the uniforms are obviously going to be about as bland as they get. Personally, I think everything about the new Nets rebrand is awful, but I guess that's just me.

I don't think that everything about the Nets rebrand is awful, but I'm also not a fan of it. I'll give it a little time to see everything in context and judge how well it all works together, but I think they missed a great opportunity with this one. Many of the concepts that were based on the subway signs could have become great identities, many of the concepts with simple scripts would have worked as well. I dislike the font in the logo as well as the B-ball. something about the tilt of the ball doesn't seem right to me, and the B just really isn't distinct enough for my tastes (it doesn't have to be flashy by any means, but I just think the font they went with was too conservative for this particular job. It just doesn't work for a stand-alone letter.) I appreciate minimalism, but I think that they could have accomplished it while still having just a touch of flare - especially since they chose plain black-and-white. But I'll give it a chance. These people aren't dumb when it comes to marketing so I'm willing to wait and see how it all comes together.

If you really wanted to do a Subway uniform, you would have taken design cues from the modern New York Subway that people actually use, have grown up with, and recognize around the country, the one with colored dots and Helvetica and all that. This just feels like they wanted to do All Black Everything and retconned it as "I saw some old subway signs once. Brooklyn."

I've encountered legal roadblocks just doing t-shirt graphics in the spirit of the MTA signage system and using a script Brooklyn, so I can't imagine an identity of that ilk would be able to get approved, either.

If you really wanted to do a Subway uniform, you would have taken design cues from the modern New York Subway that people actually use, have grown up with, and recognize around the country, the one with colored dots and Helvetica and all that.

Speaking of that, my Nets concept along those lines from a couple months ago made its way to a couple Nets sites, and most Nets fans really liked it - especially the black court. The Nets really whiffed on the opportunity to create a REAL unique, memorable subway-based identity.

Apparently new knicks jerseys are on sale at the 34th street foot locker in NYC, can anyone purchase and take pics?

So they went back to crew necks instead of v-necks. Are those replicas? I'm reserving judgement until after the official reveal tomorrow.

Edit:

Nope nevermind. They're authentics. They're in an improvement over the last uniforms. It may have to grow on some people. (Specifically the siding.)

43.png

I like them.

I can only suspect that the cut-off trim has some functional purpose, because aesthetically it just doesn't work.

I can only suspect that the cut-off trim has some functional purpose, because aesthetically it just doesn't work.

The new workmark and the lack of sidestripes make the jersey look really bland. Definitely worse than what they had.

Yeah these are terrible, again downgrade, and again adidas has slowly but surely butchered the NBA aesthetically everything looks over or underdone nothing in between and I don't care how much weight loss there is for the Rev30 unis, the jersey holes are huge and way too visible, and the extra jersey-colored outline on the number looks like absolute nonsense they are still a downgrade and not so revolutionary. There has to be a better way to do this. The new uniform script looks like crap as well, what was wrong with the previous one? That had been around since the 60's.

The addition of the grey is still rather useless, just as the half-way arm trim

Burn them

and the NBA has to end the contract with adidas.

Why Adidas Can't Beat Nike

adidas should be making sambas, soccer cleats and soccer shorts and never had been allowed to touch the NBA.

adidas just wants to throw around their heinous "magical" lowercase bubbly wordmark typeface onto every piece of equipment and advertisement, and make their 3 stripes the world standard. not going to happen. I'd rather allow Nike to do this, they gave us excellent unis, (like the current Lakers, Raptors, Mavericks, and Miami unis) the (authentic) wishbone collar which adidas so poorly imitated(see Warriors, Pacers, Bucks, Suns).

I'm going to start an International Council of Sporting Aesthetics that's in charge of every single logo or uniform change, globally through major sports and make sure stupid, haphazard shenanigans like this never happens again.

Changes like this make me really want to embrace the simplicity of the Cavs and the forthcoming Nets uniforms. It's as if they wanted a simple, vintage look for the Knicks but just couldn't help themselves from adding some unnecessary detail that mucks it up.

Is the silver trim only on the wordmark and not the numbers?

Is the silver trim only on the wordmark and not the numbers?

looks that way. so dumb.

that, and the useless "half arm trim" makes these quite poor.

Wow, those are AWFUL. Major downgrade.

The Knicks went from incredibly boring uniforms with BFBS, to just incredibly boring uniforms .... NOW WITH GRAY. OMG!!!1!!1