2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want more whacky. Even the Sixers with their flying balls from the sideline. So 90s

Nah, the flying balls were kinda lame. Now the "circle of stars" around the logo from the first season of the CoreStates Center (1996-97) was pretty cool. Can't find a good pic of it.

Found a pic from a video game.sixerscomplete2.jpg

The black key is just bizarre. I don't remember that, but, then again, I'm not much of a Sixers fan. I love that the CoreStates Center still lives somewhere, even if it is in a video game.

So am I to believe that all teams have been asked to take out the college lane markings with any new court? Hate it.

I don't like the new Lakers court. The stars around center court are a nice touch, but I miss the lavender paint, and "Lakers" by itself on the baseline doesn't look right in this setting (somehow it did with the old Haettenschweiler wordmark).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just curious, what's so bad about taking out lines that have no function in an NBA game? Is it just because everyone is used to having the college lane on the court?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Basically, yeah. I think they're aesthetically pleasing, and I like when courts have the sidebars in another color. Now they're just big flat blocks of paint.

The problem with the traditional Lakers script on the baseline, it's just hitting me, is that the swash on the R makes the rest of the letters float above the line. It's unbalanced.

Looking at that Staples Center photo, the Clippers and Lakers should just become one Superteam -- the Lakepers. Lappers. Clippers on a Lake in Los Angeles. Have a huge merger, split the court up in half purple and gold, and half red and blue to represent the merger, much like the 2011 and 2004 All-Star games.

The two courts side by side look so cool, kind of epitomizes the 'sharing is caring' bit, mi casa, su casa, in here, you're always home.

I like the college lines not being in the paint -- gives the NBA some leverage. Makes the court look unique, like hey, you're in the big leagues now.

Maybe Adidas should also start branding the courts. 3 stripes galore. And unnecessary logos everywhere. Halfway-painted key's. Herringbone 3-point lines and jarring pinstripes. Tackle twill center court logos.

As "disconnecting from the brand" as it is for the Lakers to have the simple script "Lakers" at the baselines of each key, I'm a little sad they decided to put the logos at each end.

Having the key extend out of bounds, and doing a great job highlighting "Lakers" that way was something I thought was unique to LA across the entire NBA:

4029845068_4e020f6106.jpg

It looks like on the Lakers court that there are stars around the center logo. It looks like the stars represent their championships. Man, I hope other teams don't start doing this too!!!

The only other teams with a significant amount of Championships to cover a logo with taste are Boston and Chicago. Bulls won't change the United Center floor, and Boston wouldn't touch that trend with a 100ft pole. I think we're safe...

I don't know what to think about lakers court... They have three same wordmarks on court. The previous court was very good to me.

According to the Cavaliers' pocket schedule seating chart... the mid-court logo is now a big red "C". It's the font that used to be on the back of the collar from the C/Sword or C/Flag logo. I really don't like the mismatching uniform font and logo font...

Just for the record, they played preseason game with the old logo with two swords.

spacer.png

So am I to believe that all teams have been asked to take out the college lane markings with any new court? Hate it.

I don't like the new Lakers court. The stars around center court are a nice touch, but I miss the lavender paint, and "Lakers" by itself on the baseline doesn't look right in this setting (somehow it did with the old Haettenschweiler wordmark).

I agree, with the exception of missing the terrible lavender paint. Also, it looks like they went with a garish light wood stain. Yuck. If anything, yellow being on the baselines should have made them go with a darker stain to further distinguish. I hate ugly light courts. The United Center did it in 1994, but I'm not sure when it became a trend. It's still better than dual tone stain, however.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree, with the exception of missing the terrible lavender paint. Also, it looks like they went with a garish light wood stain. Yuck. If anything, yellow being on the baselines should have made them go with a darker stain to further distinguish. I hate ugly light courts. The United Center did it in 1994, but I'm not sure when it became a trend. It's still better than dual tone stain, however.

The Lakers' light court went well with the dark arena. If the court had a dark stain and rich purple, it would've been like a cave in there.

Archived