2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has there been an official word on ads on jerseys for next season? Last I remember, there was a board vote, or something.

They couldn't agree on all specifics like what to do with players that might have a sponsorship deal with a competeting company from the team. So they shelved the talk for at least a year.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

The NBA really has no shame when it comes to making money off uniforms. I really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during the meetings about these Christmas jerseys. "Since we will have millions of people watching basketball that don't normally watch it we should do something special. How about we give every team a generic uniform with no distinguishing patterns or stripes? Also we'll make it nearly impossible for any casual fans to be able to tell which teams are playing and who is on the court. Brilliant." As far as ads on the jersey go, why not just put sponsors on the court. It works fine for hockey and the revenue it would bring in probably isn't far off from what they would get for turning the players into billboards.

If folks don't mind the pun...

These Christmas uniforms are (were) an aesthetic lump of coal. I really don't know who thought this was a good idea, as these uniforms lacked any kind of character, creativity, or identity. It looks like San Antonio, Memphis, Utah, Indiana, and Dallas have Xmas jerseys but (so far) didn't wear them. This tweetsums the Xmas atrocities perfectly IMO.

The Knicks using an orange alternate isn't a bad idea, but not like this. The only uniform that could be palatable is Miami's--if it were fashioned like their "Back in Black" and "White Hot" uniforms, with, you know, side stripes and such.

Honestly, Miami Boston, Brooklyn and Denver was the only teams where I could see numbers on their uniforms.The Clippers, Knicks, Thunder, and to a lesser extent the Lakers were unreadable. It was hard as hell to watch any of the games though.

The fact the NBA logo was in the typical RWB colorscheme killed most of the looks on closeups. It was just distracting.

Miami's black on black and white hot uniforms are nice and have decent contrast.

About the only thing I did like about any of these was on the retail swingmans, when the Adidas logo was usually very visible and annoying. On these they used the same color thread and the logos almost invisible in person.

Probably because the Celtics used the regular alternates. I wonder why where the ones to drop the Xmas unis.

Did Andrew ever weigh in on these? I'd be curious to hear his take from the adidas side.

"You don't know what went into the process. You'd realize what a good idea this was if you understood the idea. What was the idea? I can't say. It's classified."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Did Andrew ever weigh in on these? I'd be curious to hear his take from the adidas side.

"You don't know what went into the process. You'd realize what a good idea this was if you understood the idea. What was the idea? I can't say. It's classified."

Well, in a way, the standard defense is conspicuous by its absence. Anything at all that shed some light on what they were thinking (the Heat's blackout & whiteout jerseys worked... whatever).

Just to follow up,

5774.gif

This logo they used to have, as 90's as it is in style, the concept/idea is much better than the current secondary.

It's the way things were in the 1990s. Logos were cartooned (look at the NBA and NHL championship logos) then made realistic in the early 2000s, then added a realistic 3D effect right now (slanting and shading).

the Lakers court this year is a massive downgrade from previous years.

It was OK when the Lakers' script was added to the end lines.

It was acceptable when all the stars were put in mid court.

It was a barely pass when the alternate logos were added inside the 3-point line.

But to me, the floor jumped the shark when the Lakers' Facebook and Twitter tags were added in the baselines. Just looks like a generic court now, catered to the hipster/yuppie fan bases.

bootleg looking retired jersey

la_g_wilkes_b1_600.jpg

also. Shaq wore those jerseys for just a few seasons. he won 3 titles in the current look. i wonder if they retire 34 to match those, or with the jersey he's known for.

kobe's 24 too, but he never wore it in those. i think that would get retired over 8

I think once Kobe and Shaq get their numbers retired it will be in the new uniform. Or they might redo all of the jerseys in the new uniform, but I hate when teams do that..

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

the Lakers court this year is a massive downgrade from previous years.

It was OK when the Lakers' script was added to the end lines.

It was acceptable when all the stars were put in mid court.

It was a barely pass when the alternate logos were added inside the 3-point line.

But to me, the floor jumped the shark when the Lakers' Facebook and Twitter tags were added in the baselines. Just looks like a generic court now, catered to the hipster/yuppie fan bases.

"catered to the hipster/yuppie fan bases."

wtf does that even mean, especially regarding Facebook tags.. is Facebook hipster?

la_g_wilkes_b1_600.jpg

also. Shaq wore those jerseys for just a few seasons. he won 3 titles in the current look. i wonder if they retire 34 to match those, or with the jersey he's known for.

kobe's 24 too, but he never wore it in those. i think that would get retired over 8

Did the Lakers ever wear that uniform design? Because the number font isn't the same that the jerseys of the Magic era had, neither that of Kobe's and Shaq's early years with the Lakers (which still were the same, I suppose).

la_g_wilkes_b1_600.jpg

I'm confident that they'll go with the current template. I don't see how they could make their top stars of the 2000s-2010s look like they came from the 80s. Teams usually go with what the player wore during their career, whether the aligning banners match or not.What if both of Kobe's numbers get retired?

la_g_wilkes_b1_600.jpg

I'm confident that they'll go with the current template. I don't see how they could make their top stars of the 2000s-2010s look like they came from the 80s. Teams usually go with what the player wore during their career, whether the aligning banners match or not.What if both of Kobe's numbers get retired?

they probity won't as Kobe hates being remembered with Shaq, I think they will take it out of circulation.

lalakers_sig.png

I'm sure Shaq and Kobe's numbers will be retired using the template already in place. Considering none of the players hanging from the rafters ever wore a uniform that looked like that (the older guys would have white numbers with purple drop shadow, Magic & company had a different font), it is just a standardized template. I prefer it when a team's retired numbers are consistent rather than whatever a certain player wore. If a team like the Pistons were to retire the number of a player known for wearing the horse-head uniforms I would still rather see a blue, red, and white banner raised as opposed to a teal, black, and red one.

Archived