nfl in LA

puckcool22

As the LA Memorial Colliseum is being backed recently to support an NFL team, do you think the NFL will end up in LA.

I think it should, because its the second biggest market in the country. I dont think any team should be forced to move, with the exception of maybe jacksonville cause i dont see it as a major market.

signature.gif

It's in the owners' best interests to keep LA open. Everytime they want their locality to pony up for a new stadium, they can always conjure up the spectre of moving to the country's largest media market to scare the cash right out of 'em.

Another thing is the fanbase. Many Angelinos are from other parts of the country (or, more often than not, other countries). As such, many have their loyalties firmly planted with another team. Also, as my grampa explained to me, not having a home team lets L.A. football fans watch games from all over the country rather than getting their local game.

Read an article recently that stated that Tagliabeau (sp, too lazy to look it up) said he's wants to be back in LA by 08

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

L.A. deserves NOTHING.

They stole the Dodgers, let that be enough for those bastards.

They hate football, they do not care about the NFL, and those who do... like other teams! The Rams always had fickle and fair-weather fans, and never had a real loyal solid base. The Raiders were a joke in L.A.

Moving to L.A. helps not the NFL, nor does it help L.A.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Does the NFL really NEED a team in LA? It's not like any of the networks will refuse to give them a contract because they don't have a team in LA.

Besides, LA is the most fairweather city when I comes to sports. How many people that call themselves Lakers fans were there after Magic retired and before Shaq arrived?

Let them go to San Diego if they wanna see football.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

If LA does get a franchise, a team will be re-located there. The NFL has stated that they plan to keep the 32-team league with equal 4-team divisions.

I can only see the Chargers moving, realistically. I remember watching a Chargers-Dolphins game on TV a couple years back in San Diego, yet the crowd wore Aqua and cheered the Dolphins. It was the wierdest thing I've seen in a while.

And when LA proves to be another bomb, they'll move back to SD, who realize what they missed by then and will be more devoted fans.

Just my 2 cents.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

This will be the 10th season with Los Angeles NOT in the NFL. Personally, I think the game is even more popular than ever since. So let's see, Tags wants a team in by 2008. What's next, giving them a head start so they can bring a championship faster?

Also, the Los Angeles Coliseum, will all respect to people in LA, is an absolute DUMP. When I was with the Demons (of the one year wonder that was the XFL) the locker rooms were next door to each other, the locker rooms themselves were as tiny as a medium sized living room. There was a fight before player intros and it just needs an overhaul. So I ask, where's the new stadium? That was the whole reason why the Raiders aren't in LA now, the Houston Texans aren't the 3 year old Los Angeles (insert name here) expansion team.

HOWEVER, if a team moves... do not be suprised if its NOT the Colts or Chargers but the 49ers. Word is that dumb@$$ owner John York will demand a new stadium by the city and make the city put up the entire money (as opposed to the $100 million bond that was passed in 1997 to build the stadium by then owner Eddie DeBartolo to be finished in 2000 to host Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002.) or else...

BTW, here is the list since the Raiders and Rams relocations of teams that demanded a new stadium or move to Los Angeles:

Arizona Cardinals

Seattle Seahawks

San Diego Chargers

Cincinnati Bengals

Minnesota Vikings

San Francisco 49ers (coming soon)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

No matter how much some people are against it, some way some how LA will get an NFL team, but I get the feeling, after millions and millions of years, the world will still go on.

I just don't understand why the NFL is so intent on having a team in L.A. Seems to me that if the LA communnity really wanted a team, they would have already built a new stadium either through private financing from businesspeople who believed it would be a good investment (and you can't throw a rock in LA without hitting at least one greedy real estate developer) or through public financing which would have had to have been voted on by a community hungry for NFL football. Neither of those things have happened, so that should be a more than subtle hint that there just isn't enough rabid interest in the NFL to warrant the type of heroic measures the league is contemplating to ensure that a team is there by 2008.

The NFL keeps talking about the LA market being the second largest television market in the country and that's the biggest reason why they need a team there. Huh? Let's see, commit the entire market to having to watch one team for 16 of 17 weeks regardless of how good or bad they might be or let the second largest TV market in the country get the absolute best NFL games available every week of the season? What the hell kind of choice is that? The NFL, in my opinion, actually benefits by not having a team in LA - they can give the country's second largest TV market the absolute best games every week - wouldn't that increase viewership? The NFL just doesn't profit enough off of the butts-in-the-seats factor to make having a physical presence in LA an absolute priority. Seems to me they'd be much better off concentrating on the butts-in-the-Barcalounger factor and ensure that LA continues to get only the choice NFL games as broadcast by their cash cow network TV partners.

Yale in St. Louis

the reason that la in the nfl failed was because of traffic. la traffic is probablly the worst in the us and canada combined. someone in la would rather watch the rams or raiders on tv then fight traffic to get to the stadium.

if any team was going to move to la, it would be the chargers. ive heard that they have been trying to get out of san diego for some time. as chargers fan living in ontario, i dont care.

seconding King, LA should have made an effort to keep either the Rams or Raiders. They didn't, so fluff em. Tags should just get off the subject and deal with bigger fish. LA, it's like Atlanta: everybody's from somewhere else, and in LA's case, trying to become actors :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

If LA does get a franchise, a team will be re-located there. The NFL has stated that they plan to keep the 32-team league with equal 4-team divisions.

Actually, Commissioner Tagliabue has gone on record as saying that the NFL would not rule out granting an expansion team to Los Angeles and operating as a 33-team league. The Los Angeles Times ran the quote within the last month as part of its coverage of the Coliseum proposal.

As for the Coliseum currently being a dump, you'll get no argument from me. However, the plans for Coliseum "renovation" apparently call for a Soldier Field-like solution. In other words, only the outer shell will largely remain intact, along with sections of concourse, etc. Then a completely new structure will be built within - and in some places, over - the current structure. It won't be pretty, but its apparently enough to get the NFL interested again.

Brian in Boston

Archived