Logos and jerseys that need updates

They're already using a variation of their "old" logo and colors. Do you mean go back to the "new" look they had in the 80's?

The Jets "old" look:

joe-namath-si.jpgjoe-namath.jpg

While their current style was based off of the classic jerseys, they torpedoed it by switching from kelly green to forest green. That knocked their uniforms down several pegs. I wish the Jets would go back to kelly green. Also, with jersey manufacturers' inability to make the current template look respectable on modern jerseys, I think they should scrap the whole fauxback look and return to the '90s set. As bad as a football was during that era, that was a great look.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UIC is pretty terrible, but who in the Horizon League doesn't need an update?

80240b2a8e30c04f372aee6a3f2ea532766679af.jpg?x=305&y=225&sig=f249072604ac1f63d11b640637ff579b

UW_Green_Bay_Phoenix.gif

csuviking-logo-large.jpg

loyc-secondary-logo-283.jpg

Actually all four logos have been updated fairly recently.

UWM gets tweaked every 2 years. They also add a couple alternate logos and scripts while they're at it. I think their newest update 2 years ago (what's posted here) was a step in the right direction. They made it less like a belt buckle, more like a cohesive logo. They still need to trash all the alternate logos and come up with a solid identity. For reference, here's their less-updated logo:

2731.gif

Green Bay got updated in 2005ish, but I think they could use another update. Something that doesn't look like their bird didn't just get shot in the neck. For reference, older logo:

w7tsgrzdet62zf1jekvo.gif

Cleveland St recently had an update as well. They went from the "Fighting Peas" to the "Creepy Vikings Peaking Over Fences" or "Wilson from Home Improvement Dressed Up As A Viking."

6846.gif

Loyola just updated their brand last year. They used to have a soccer crest with a drunk husky on it.

2521.gif

Also, Valpo got re-branded in 2011, Detroit was rebranded in 2008, Butler isn't in the Horizon anymore so screw them, Wright State has been updated in the past 10 years (and their logo looks pretty modern), and Youngstown State recently began using their Penguin logo as more of a secondary logo and their 'Y' logo as their primary.

So I think UIC, UWGB, and UWM need some big brand updates (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee just needs a new school name), but I don't think the other schools really need another update in a short time span.

As a diehard Vikings fan, I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want any changes to the Vikings Norseman logo. That logo is a classic and doesn't need any kind of updating. I'm guessing most other Vikings fans would agree with me.

The uniforms ... that's another thing. Just make sure you keep the horned helmets. There was worry about getting rid of the horns when the Vikes updated the uniforms not so long ago. The horned helmets and the Norseman logo are sacred to Vikings fans.

And yet the horn got a face lift with the most recent redesign.

Moss2.jpg

randy-moss.jpg

Notice the subtle shading added to the new horn?

Which is why I think giving the Norseman logo a face lift wouldn't be such a bad idea. They'd still keep the same general logo, it would just be cleaned up a bit. As it is now, it's starting to look a bit dated.

Also, Valpo got re-branded in 2011, Detroit was rebranded in 2008, Butler isn't in the Horizon anymore so screw them, Wright State has been updated in the past 10 years (and their logo looks pretty modern), and Youngstown State recently began using their Penguin logo as more of a secondary logo and their 'Y' logo as their primary.

So I think UIC, UWGB, and UWM need some big brand updates (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee just needs a new school name), but I don't think the other schools really need another update in a short time span.

I would put Loyola on that list... their recent update really did nothing to make their brand stand out.

Here's what Milwaukee's club football team will be using this fall:

uwm2.jpg

Much better than any of the school's "official" logos if I do say so myself :D

As a diehard Vikings fan, I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want any changes to the Vikings Norseman logo. That logo is a classic and doesn't need any kind of updating. I'm guessing most other Vikings fans would agree with me.

The uniforms ... that's another thing. Just make sure you keep the horned helmets. There was worry about getting rid of the horns when the Vikes updated the uniforms not so long ago. The horned helmets and the Norseman logo are sacred to Vikings fans.

And yet the horn got a face lift with the most recent redesign.

Moss2.jpg

randy-moss.jpg

Notice the subtle shading added to the new horn?

Which is why I think giving the Norseman logo a face lift wouldn't be such a bad idea. They'd still keep the same general logo, it would just be cleaned up a bit. As it is now, it's starting to look a bit dated.

Not only did the horn add Black detailing to the horn - the entire shape of the thing was modified:

MinnesotaVikings_CompHRS01a_SCC_SRGB.png

I was stunned that no one seemed to flinch at how much it changed.

Now the Norseman logo...that thing was outdated by the early '70s...

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely say everything in the NBA right now is pretty much garbage. Alts' for alts' sake, stand-in 'primary' logos that are never used, recycled designs, constant dependency on the recolor tool, mindless faux-backs. Cookie-cutter stuff. The NBA needs to re-assess the aesthetic situation and teams should start investing more into their brands. And the Rev-30 unis are way too clunky and overzealous.

It should be noted that the Raptors' claw logo is the de facto primary. They only place where the above logo is used is the MLSE logo.

While it's true that the Raptors current set isn't as unique as the Vince Carter-era jerseys (I personally would've preferred purple/black/silver when they re-branded), I think it's still a solid look for them and suits their name. I agree that it could use a few tweaks (such as getting rid of the unnecessary maple leaf), but I wouldn't call for an all-out re-brand. Having four different sets in less than 20 years is something you really want to avoid.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Then the main site has it wrong.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm pretty sure we had this thread not too long ago, but in case I'm mistaken:

Clippers

Dodgers

Steelers

Royals

Ravens

Islanders

And not just subtle/simple modifications. They all need complete rebrands badly.

The Dodgers, Steelers and Royals all need complete rebrands? WTF?

NFL

Steelers (block numbers on jerseys)

Bengals (complete rebrand but keep the helmet)

Vikings (start over)

Cardinals (go back to their St Louis look)

Browns (orange pants and striped socks for all sets)

Dolphins (bring back the striped sleeves)

Jaguars (start over)

Chargers (go back the the 90's era look)

Chiefs (returns the TV numbers to the sleeves)

Eagels (Cunningham or Herm Edwards era uniforms, PLEASE)

Saints (make throwbacks their primaries)

MLB

Marlins (decrease the size of the "M" logo and tweak the uniforms)

Padres (start over with new unique colors - not the token navy)

Indians (stick with script or block lettering - not both)

Nationals (same as the Indians)

Rays (go back to the green uniforms/cap)

MLB

-Marlins do need to fix that horrid M that they are stuck with.

-I think the Nationals need to go back to script and stay script lettering and not blocked and scripted.

-Also, I don't like seeing the BFBS uniforms in baseball anymore. I obviously had enough of black uniforms in MLB. Some teams can pull it off while others can't. It's like adding black into the Packer's color scheme and ewwww.

NFL

I agree with you.

-Browns need to return to their 1975-1983 look. The stripe on the sleeves looked very decent during the Brian Sipe era.

-Bengals made a bad design decision on the jerseys. Their 1981 look or their 1997 look is far superior than their nasty little look now. If they wanted an orange fauxback jersey, they could of used the old 1968 uniforms and made orange uniforms with that set. But to me, the Bengals do not look good in orange jerseys.

-Jaguars need to find a new identity. A "black jaguar is actually a black panther." So, I suggest they find something not to redundant. Plus the black on white pants makes me curious as to think that they could go for something new.

-Vikings need to start over. But keep the new helmet design. Just darken the purple or keep it the way it is.

-With the Eagles, I disagree with you on the Herm Edwards era uniforms (1974-1984). I rather they wear their 1985-1995?/1996? uniforms.

-Saints. Hmm, I want to see their 1986-1995 Jim Mora Sr. era uniforms. Those were pretty unique and we didn't deal with different shades of old gold that time too.

-You are not the only one who wishes the Cardinals go back to their St.Louis look. I thought that was much cleaner than what they are now.

To more additions:

-I wish the Rams use their new style horns from the current Rams logo and attach that onto their helmets. Plus they should return to dark royal blue and athletic gold with the new number font and such.

-The Cowboys need to make up their mind on which silver they want to use or just ditch the silver altogether. I hated from what I read that in 1981, the blue unis were darkened and look separate from the white unis. What was Tex Schramm SMOKING?!!!

NBA

ATL: I'd love to see the hawks return to either Green/Blue or Red/Yellow/Black color scheme, there are just so many RGB teams and they seem like one that could easily drop it.

CLE: With the new identity a few years back came a bunch of brand inconsistency. I wish they'd drop the recolored Lebron era primary and come up with a new primary that incorporates the simplified script.

DAL: This logo is starting to feel dated for me, it could be simplified a bit, or just scrapped and start from scratch.

DEN: This is another identity that I think is showing its age, I'd love to see an identity built around their pick axe logo and focus more on the navy blue than the sky blue.

HOU: I'd love to see the athletic gold return to the color scheme.

LAC: Time to stop ripping off big brother and include some sort of clipper imagery in your logo.

OKC: Time to start from scratch

PHX: Another dated logo, it's just so busy. I'd build something off this.

POR: Just a slight update could go a long way for them, maybe update the wordmark.

-Dallas is alright. Just ditch the black and navy blue and they will be great.

-Cleveland Cavalier is a swordsman which really fits the team. Wine and old gold works for this team more so than the navy jerseys.

-DENVER NUGGETS, PLEASE RETURN TO DARK ROYAL BLUE AND ATHLETIC GOLD!!! DAMNIT!!! :(

-I don't like to see athletic gold with the Rockets return. They were trying to get away from their San Diego Rockets era. Since the move to Houston, it was good that they ditch the athletic gold by 1996.

-Yeah, the Clippers need their own identity. They need to make a new logo that is separate from the Lakers who used to be the Minnesota Lakers.

-Atlanta would be better with royal blue and forest green. Or maybe just their columbia blue and red color scheme they had before the Kansas City Chief palette.

I hope I speak for most Chargers fans when I say that the ugly '90s Ryan Leaf uniforms are incredibly overrated and boring.

Ladainian_Tomlinson-3.jpg> chargers_quarterback-13553.jpg

I agree with you on that, Lights Out. They are so boring. In fact, I found the powder blue uniforms to show their true identity more than the navy uniforms. Before HD, the navy looked black on the television.

I think this is starting to look too 90's now. 250px-Toronto_Raptors.svg.png

The Raptors need a total overhaul, maybe even a name change.

That's hideous. I wish they went back to the Husky name. But I don't know about ditching red, black, silver, and white for just purple and white. Since Purple and white only was the Toronto Huskies colors back in day before they ceased in the 1950's.

I think this is starting to look too 90's now. 250px-Toronto_Raptors.svg.png

The Raptors need a total overhaul, maybe even a name change.

That's hideous. I wish they went back to the Husky name. But I don't know about ditching red, black, silver, and white for just purple and white. Since Purple and white only was the Toronto Huskies colors back in day before they ceased in the 1950's.

That was their original plan, but they soon realized that it would be very hard to make a logo that wasn't similar to the Timberwolves'. Considering some of the other finalists in the naming contest (Dragons, Scorpions, Tarantulas), I'm glad they went with "Raptors".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived