Logos and jerseys that need updates

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Vikings need to go with Andrew Harington's version...

vikings2.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Speaking of which, the reason they didn't go with "Huskies" is because it would be really hard to make logos not similar to the Timberwolves'. I'd imagine they'd have that same issue with Atlanta if they did decide to go the bird of prey route.

Either way, their identity is fine as it. While it could use some tweaks, no major re-brand is needed.

Oh yes it is. They look terrible and redundant. I'd rather even see them dressed as the basketball division of the Maple Leafs (which they basically are), with just blue and white. Maybe a maple leaf and the CN Tower inside a basketball, like so, with Toronto Subway lettering:

FGCCh.jpg

Seattle SuperSonics rip off.

cxe7hh6lwjtpdhcoyiuc064sp.gif

"Raptor" is also another name for "bird of prey," a class of birds that includes the Northern Hawk Owl, which seems like an appropriate name for a team from Canada. Perhaps they could re-brand based on that and get rid of the Jurassic Park stigma once and for all.

That said, I really like Huskies as a name and wish that had been chosen.

Then we could have the Toronto Raptors vs Atlanta Hawks, in a "bird of prey" showdown.

Speaking of which, the reason they didn't go with "Huskies" is because it would be really hard to make logos not similar to the Timberwolves'. I'd imagine they'd have that same issue with Atlanta if they did decide to go the bird of prey route.

Either way, their identity is fine as it. While it could use some tweaks, no major re-brand is needed.

If the NFL gets by with Cardinals, Seahawks, Eagles and Falcons, I don't see why the NBA can't have two bird teams; besides, hawks and owls don't look nearly as similar as wolves and huskies.

Owls are awesome, so I'd love an owl-themed team in the pros, but do most people who aren't versed in taxonomy think of owls and fellow birds of prey as "raptors"? Wouldn't it then be confusing if the Toronto Raptors went from being dinosaurs to owls? (EDIT: holy crap, evolution, this is deeeeep) This is my only problem with it. It would be like if the Rams stopped wanting to invite the "Lambs" pejoratives and instead adopted an identity based around medieval castle-storming, leaving people to wonder why the horns on the helmet were replaced with a horizontal tree trunk. If they just became the Team From Toronto, you wouldn't have the same problem, though you would have the obvious "that hack designer just crossed the Maple Leafs with the Warriors and Supersonics" problem.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm torn whether "Toronto Towers" is a great name, of whether it sounds like a beer-league softball team name. Either way, it seems to fit the above logo. Ditch the maple leaf, incorporate black, fix the CN Tower, and ya might be onto something.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It sounds like a real estate development. I'm not keen on changing nicknames sans-relocation this late in the sports-merchandising game, even one as insipid as "Raptors" for a team of dribbling dinosaurs. The Wizards reverting to the Washington Bullets would be (more than) okay, of course, but that's it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As for the Raptors, I really don't know why people want to change the name. How many dinosaur names do we have in major pro sports?

"Raptor" is also another name for "bird of prey," a class of birds that includes the Northern Hawk Owl, which seems like an appropriate name for a team from Canada. Perhaps they could re-brand based on that and get rid of the Jurassic Park stigma once and for all.

That said, I really like Huskies as a name and wish that had been chosen.

"Raptor" is also another name for a fighter jet. The F-22 Raptor.

Oh, the possibilites.

That Vikings update looks fantastic!

Agreed. And I don't think the fanbase would be upset about that. I don't even think most noticed when the horns were changed. The essential "horns on the purple helmet" was untouchable, but the design was not untweakable. Similarly, I think an updated Viking head primary would go over fine, with those that really noticed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Even I like the update on the Vikings Norseman logo, and I'm probably the biggest supporter of the current Vikings logo in this room.

My biggest worry about an update on that logo is that it would be changed instead of tweaked. The update shown here is a tweak.

NHL

Ducks - Go back to Mighty Duck colours and have an actual duck logo.

Bruins - Use a gold B on the black sweaters.

Sabres - Ditch the silver piping and bring back the the white and gold piping on pants.

Flames - 80s black-free uniforms. The black Flaming C can be used on a 3rd, though.

Hurricans - Hurricane warning flag better than "toilet swirl".

Stars - Dark green mono uniform with an improved "mooterus" logo. Better yet, re-name them the Lone Stars or Texans.

Panthers - 90s uniforms worked. Make shoulder yokes rounded and not pointy, though.

Kings - Stanley Cup or no Stanley Cup, purple and gold are the Kings. Black and silver would work as a third.

Wild - Make green the primary and keep the home and away whites consistant. Even better, BRING BACK THE NORTH STARS!!

Canadiens - Go back to the lighter red and back to the single red number trimming on the whites.

Predators - Make yellow the away and go with matching yellow helmets. Make navy the home colour.

Islanders - Reverse the white and orange stripping on the blues.

Senators - Go with either the new 2D logo or the vintage "O" with regular white. The "Mark Messier" 3D logo has to go.

Coyotes - Dark green with teal trimming when they become the Seattle Totems. Being sarcastic but hopeful here.

Penguins - Vegas gold is fine but go back to the old templete of the 80s and early 90s.

Blues - Back to the pre-Edge look.

Lightning - Back to the '04 set.

Maple Leafs - Get rid of the Ballard Leaf and go back to the 35-point Leaf, a logo that symbolized club success.

Canucks - Johnny Canuck or the updated Stick 'n Rink as the primary and back to block-style numbers with added green trimming(see visiting football team in new Dark Knight movie to get the idea.)

Jets - Make numbers block-style and non-italic. Make more use of the Aviator(light) blue.

NHL

<snip>

Maple Leafs - Get rid of the Ballard Leaf and go back to the 35-point Leaf, a logo that symbolized club success.

<snip>

Jets - Make numbers block-style and non-italic. Make more use of the Aviator(light) blue.

For the Leafs, I hope they don't change back. The current logo (despite the lack of success associated with it) is clean, crisp and simple. Not to mention it's not off-centred like 'Toronto' is in the 35-point leaf. The 35-point leaf with no words on it makes for a great shoulder patch though. Love the old 3rd jersey though.

The Jets I agree that the lighter blue needs a lot more usage. The numbers are fine though--they're a team from 2011, they can pull off a modern, non-italic, non-block number font. Having a league with all teams wearing block fonts is kinda boring..

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived