Who should get their number retired and by which team(s)?

Arts11

I think it's ridiculous that the Bengals haven't retired Anthony Muñoz's #78. He's the only Hall of Famer in team history, for crying out loud.

Slightly less ridiculous is that they haven't retired Boomer Esiason's #7. While he's not currently in the Hall, an argument could be made -- League MVP, Super Bowl, etc.

Yeah Munoz is definitely somebody that's deserved that honor. Even under the strictest definition of who's number should be retired I think he qualifies.

Boomer is borderline for that type of honor, but Ken Anderson is not. You can't say yes to Boomer and no to him. Anderson did more for the Bengals and I would argue was a better overall QB as well.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as sure-fire (in my opinion, at least) number retirees go, here's a list of current players whose numbers I think will get retired:

Arizona:

Larry Fitzgerald

Adrian Wilson

Atlanta:

---

Baltimore:

Ray Lewis

Terrell Suggs

Ed Reed

Buffalo:

---

Carolina:

Steve Smith

Chicago:

Brian Urlacher

Lance Briggs

Cincinnati:

---

Cleveland:

Joe Thomas

Dallas:

DeMarcus Ware

Denver:

Champ Bailey

Detroit:

Matt Stafford

Calvin Johnson

Green Bay:

Aaron Rodgers

Clay Matthews

Houston:

Andre Johnson

Indianapolis:

Peyton Manning

Jacksonville:

Maurice Jones-Drew

Kansas City:

Tony Gonzalez

Miami:

Jake Long

Minnesota:

Adrian Peterson

Jared Allen

New England:

Tom Brady

Wes Welker

New Orleans:

Drew Brees

New York Giants:

Eli Manning

Justin Tuck

New York Jets:

Darelle Revis

Oakland Raiders:

---

Pittsburgh Steelers:

Ben Roethlisberger

Troy Polamalu

Philadelphia Eagles:

---

San Diego Chargers:

Philip Rivers

Antonio Gates

San Fransisco:

Frank Gore

Pat Willis

Seattle:

---

St. Louis

Stephen Jackson

Tampa Bay:

Rondé Barber

Tennessee Titans:

---

Washington Redskins:

London Fletcher

The lack of runningbacks on this list is due to the prevalence of injury at the position, and the fact that many of the league's top runners are relatively young (i.e. Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, etc.)

Sigs are for sissies.

I think it's ridiculous that the Bengals haven't retired Anthony Muñoz's #78. He's the only Hall of Famer in team history, for crying out loud.

Slightly less ridiculous is that they haven't retired Boomer Esiason's #7. While he's not currently in the Hall, an argument could be made -- League MVP, Super Bowl, etc.

Yeah Munoz is definitely somebody that's deserved that honor. Even under the strictest definition of who's number should be retired I think he qualifies.

Boomer is borderline for that type of honor, but Ken Anderson is not. You can't say yes to Boomer and no to him.

Even if they wanted to retire Anderson's number, they'd have to wait until Dalton was through with it. But I'd say yes to Boomer; no to Anderson. I just think Anderson was pretty good -- but not GREAT.

Sigs are for sissies.

The Clippers should retire number 19 now and numbers 3 and 32 when the time's right.

If Cassell played with the Clippers longer than he did, then I would have no problem with retiring #19. I believe Griffin and Paul are pretty much locks, but you have "what ifs" as far as Paul if he should stay beyond 2013. Certainly, if I were the Clippers, I would retired #9 in honor of Randy Smith (he did play the bulk of his career as a Buffalo Brave, but he retired as a [san Diego] Clipper, and is still the franchise's all-time leading scorer). The problem now, other than the fact he passed away a few years ago, no one sadly remembers him and the idiots in charge of the franchise won't make an effort to acknowledge him.

The only Clipper player I could really see his number retired, even despite the way he exited: Elton Brand's #42. The majority of his career he played on some bad teams, but he was always the best player. The team hasn't actually issued that number since he left; they briefly re-issed in '09 when Rasual Butler was signed, but he switched to #40 just prior to training camp.

As far as other teams, I would love to see the Lakers retire #21 for Michael Cooper. I'm fully aware of their retirement number policy, but he was very much as vital to the Showtime title teams, if not probably more than either Fisher and Horry on the 2000s title teams.

My number retirement policy is pretty simple: play the majority (or all) of your career with the same team, be a major contributor, and lead in many of that franchise's statisical categories.

Boomer is borderline for that type of honor, but Ken Anderson is not. You can't say yes to Boomer and no to him.

Even if they wanted to retire Anderson's number, they'd have to wait until Dalton was through with it. But I'd say yes to Boomer; no to Anderson. I just think Anderson was pretty good -- but not GREAT.

Well what does Boomer Esiason have that Ken Anderson doesn't? MVP and he took the Bengals to the Super Bowl. That's Ken Anderson as well. This is also a guy that led the NFL in passing twice and in QB rating four times with the Bengals. That Boomer can't say he did for his career.

I just don't see how you can justify Boomer being better then Ken Anderson was if were just looking at Bengal stats. To me its similar to somebody saying Dauntee Culpepper was a better franchise QB for the Vikings then Fran Tarkenton was. Peak wise its a tossup, but longevity wise its not even close.

As for why the Bengals gave Andy Dalton's Anderson's number my guess is that Mike Brown is just bitter over the fact that Anderson took a job with the Steelers.

There isn't anyone else off the top of my head I could possibly make a case for. Maybe Dwight Evans...but they'd have to invoke the Pesky Rule for that (waiving the HOF requirement). Maybe Pedro or Manny, but they'd have to waive the 10-year rule, and they've yet to do that.

Well, someone from the 2004 team has to have his number retired. Unless they waive the Hall of Fame part of the rule, it's not going to be Jason Varitek. Might as well make it Pedro Martinez.He was probably the most dominant pitcher in baseball when he was a Red Sock.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Slightly less ridiculous is that they haven't retired Boomer Esiason's #7. While he's not currently in the Hall, an argument could be made -- League MVP, Super Bowl appearance, etc.

Fixed

Jets:

Locks: Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet

Maybe/Need to see more: Mark Gastineau, Kevin Mawae, Darelle Revis, Nick Mangold

...oh and the Patriots should retire Mo Lewis' number :cry:

I would say yes to Martin. But for me Chrebet kind of falls into that longevity for longevity's sake. Great story but in terms of Jets receivers I would say both Don Maynard and Wesley Walker are pretty far out in front of Chrebet. I can't say yes to Chrebet and you gotta put Wesley Walker in ahead of him.

I would yes to Mawae. A little bit more borderline then Martin, but he was one of if not the best center in the NFL for pretty much every year he was with the Jets. Revis and Mangold obviously just too early to tell but I think both will get there provided they stay healthy and stay with the Jets.

Gastineau is the most interesting case of anybody with the Jets. Stats wise and on field contributions he should be slam dunk guy for that type of honor. But he's always been somebody who the Jets have struggled a great deal with in terms of how to recognize his career, because you don't get much more in terms off field baggage then Mark Gastineau. He's probably going to go down as the best player ever to have absolutely zero chance of making it to the Hall of Fame because of that. I would think anybody the least bit borderline for making it to the Hall has a better shot then Gastineau of actually getting in. And even if you go back to the Jets team highlights of when he played, his name does not get mentioned all that often. They would much rather talk about the defense as a whole or single out Joe Klecko before bringing up Gastineau.

I'll be interesting to see if he's ever added to their ring of honor. They say time heels all wounds, but those are some really deep wounds for alot of guys who played alongside him, many of whom I'm sure would be perfectly happy if they never saw Mark Gastineau again. I don't think the Jets will ever retire his number though. At least with the ring of honor you can say okay today we're honoring Richard Todd, Mark Gastineau, Ken O'Brien and Mickey Shuler. (Or replace Todd with Testaverde or O'Brien with Wesley Walker, just using the names as examples.) But to retire his number means he has to be singled out. That will never happen.

A lot of you have pretty low standards for a team's highest honor.

As players move around now more than ever, I think we should see fewer retired numbers as a result.

One thing I don't get is the "hold out of circulation but don't retire" thing. One case specifically is Randall Cunningham w the Eagles. Nobody has worn 12 since he left, and when it was given to AJ Feely in preseason one year, it was quickly taken away. Since Randall left, they've retired Reggie White's number (which I was against, more for moral reasons than performance), and they're retiring Brian Dawkins this year. I don't think that Randal should get it retired, considering Jaws didn't, but once it's held so long it'll be such a big deal when someone else eventually gets it, so just retire it, especially since he's friendly with the organization again and the fans have finally embraced him, which most didn't when he was here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If Cassell played with the Clippers longer than he did, then I would have no problem with retiring #19.

He was a fan favorite and led that magical '06 squad. Maybe retiring his number would be a bit much in hindsight, but they should do something to honor him.

The only Clipper player I could really see his number retired, even despite the way he exited: Elton Brand's #42. The majority of his career he played on some bad teams, but he was always the best player.

He pretty much torpedoed his chances at that by the way he lied to the organization on his way out of town, as well as the fact that a large number of Clipper fans still dislike him because of it. The only way I could see it happening at this point is if he somehow clears waivers this summer, gets signed back by the Clippers, and like Odom, tries to make up for it this time around... and the likelihood of all that happening is slim-to-none.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Good chance Jagr would've gotten his sweater hung here if he'd finished his career in the Burgh, but now that he isn't on the best terms with this organization that won't happen. I still wouldn't mind it, because he is one of the greatest and his first/best years were spent here. Then again, getting your number retired by the penguins is pretty damn difficult. Only two people to do it were Michel Briere, who was killed in a car accident after a hell of a rookie season, and Mario Lemieux, because he's Mario :censored:in Lemieux. Cases could be made for other guys, but not many of the most notable former pens finished their careers here or were even around very long.

The Pirates have retired all they need to retire for a while. I'm also in the camp that believes a retired number should mean something, and for 20 years nothing meaningful ever came from the Pirates.

Retiring numbers in football just feels weird to me, especially since certain positions only get so many numbers to choose from. That, and apart from Hines, Bettis, and Troy, there haven't been many guys on the Steelers recently classy and good enough to have their number retired.

oBIgzrL.png

Retiring numbers in football just feels weird to me, especially since certain positions only get so many numbers to choose from. That, and apart from Hines, Bettis, and Troy, there haven't been many guys on the Steelers recently classy and good enough to have their number retired.

It's a paradox. Football is the sport that's toughest to retire a number for because (as you point out) there's so few numbers for each position to choose from so you need them all. However, it's also the sport where they player is known for their number more than any other sport, since it's front and center on them at all times, and their faces are covered up by helmets and facemasks, so often the number is the only manner of identification.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To those who say Shaq's number should be retired by the Lakers, or should be but not yet, there is no debate. His number will be retired next season.

I can't believe that none of you remembered this: Lakers to retire Shaq's number

With Kobe's number, I believe that they will retire 24 and not 8. He won MVP, two Championships and two Finals MVP's while wearing 24. But, with 8, he did have a three-peat with one of the most dominant post-season teams during that run. He also scored 62 points to the Mavs 61 after 3 quarters and who could forget his 81 points. I can't exactly remember where I heard it, but I think that the Lakers said they'll retire which ever number Kobe prefers. That'll probably be 24.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I am definitely OK with reduced standards. Great players that were truly important for a franchise...whatever that means to most franchises. In my opinion that does not even have to mean Hall of Famer.

Looking at the Twins, I am OK with most of it:

3 Killebrew (HOF)

6 Oliva

14 Hrbek

28 Blyleven (HOF)

29 Carew (HOF)

34 Puckett (HOF)

Puckett and Killebrew are no-brainers...maybe neither would make Infrared's criteria, but what they meant to the franchise during their times was immeasurable. Puckett played his entire career with the Twins (yeah, it was short but he really only missed his declining years) and Killebrew had that one year with KC at the end.

To me, Oliva's the next one...he's sort of in that "just missed" HOF group and played his career with the franchise.

You could debate Blyleven and Carew. Both have Twins caps on their plaques and had their best years in Minnesota, but they also did play elsewhere for significant periods, particularly Blyleven, who bounced around. But I am still OK with it.

Hrbek is the one that does not belong. He was a productive player (who should have won multiple gold gloves), but just a shade under that level of greatness. If he'd had the exact same career with any other team, his number would not be retired. He's from Minnesota and he got some hometown treatment.

I will argue until the day I die, or until he gets into the Hall, that Tony Oliva belongs in the Hall of Fame. To me, there's no doubt that his number deserved to be retired.

I agree with you on Hrbek. He really didn't deserve having his number retired. But I understand why, and I can live with it.

Tom Kelly deserves to have his number retired. He only managed the Twins to two world championships.

A future retired number, at least at this time, looks like Joe Mauer. He seems to have bounced back from his rotten season. Of course, with his big contract, he never will be able to do enough. People will complain about him until he gets his call from Cooperstown, which I think will happen some day.

Nationals: 8:Carter, 10:Staub, 10:Dawson, 30:Raines

Mets: 8:Carter, 18:Strawberry, 24:Mays, 31:Piazza, 69:Miracle, 86:In Your Face, Buckner

The one thing I've always sorta disliked was when teams would retired numbers for events or "for the fans." I think some sort of a banner would be enough for those occasions. Also, although I don't have a hard-and-fast "rule" about a player's length of tenure on the team, I'm uneasy with teams retiring future Hall-of-Famers' numbers due mainly on nostalgia and/or a milestone record [the Rays retiring Wade Boggs' # comes to mind, as does the Houston Rockets retiring Clyde Drexler's number).

As far as sure-fire (in my opinion, at least) number retirees go, here's a list of current players whose numbers I think will get retired:

Arizona:

Larry Fitzgerald

Adrian Wilson

Atlanta:

---

Baltimore:

Ray Lewis

Terrell Suggs

Ed Reed

Buffalo:

---

Carolina:

Steve Smith

Chicago:

Brian Urlacher

Lance Briggs

Cincinnati:

---

Cleveland:

Joe Thomas

Dallas:

DeMarcus Ware

Denver:

Champ Bailey

Shannon Sharpe

Rod Smith

Detroit:

Matt Stafford

Calvin Johnson

Green Bay:

Aaron Rodgers

Clay Matthews

Houston:

Andre Johnson

Indianapolis:

Peyton Manning

Jacksonville:

Maurice Jones-Drew

Kansas City:

Tony Gonzalez

Miami:

Jake Long

Minnesota:

Adrian Peterson

Jared Allen

New England:

Tom Brady

Wes Welker

New Orleans:

Drew Brees

New York Giants:

Eli Manning

Justin Tuck

New York Jets:

Darelle Revis

Oakland Raiders:

---

Pittsburgh Steelers:

Ben Roethlisberger

Troy Polamalu

Philadelphia Eagles:

---

San Diego Chargers:

Philip Rivers

Antonio Gates

Tomlinson

San Fransisco:

Frank Gore

Pat Willis

Seattle:

---

St. Louis

Stephen Jackson

Tampa Bay:

Rondé Barber

Tennessee Titans:

---

Washington Redskins:

London Fletcher

The lack of runningbacks on this list is due to the prevalence of injury at the position, and the fact that many of the league's top runners are relatively young (i.e. Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, etc.)

Here is the issue with the Skins...

They have a list of numbers that are un-officially retired. The numbers that come to mind:

81 Art Monk

49 Bobby Mitchell

28 Darrell Green

9 Jurgensen

7 Theismann

44 Riggins

21 Sean Taylor (no one has even worn this since his murder back in 2007)

70 Sam Huff

Can anyone else think of other Redskins??

Also added a couple for given teams

Syracuse basketball doesn't retire numbers but rather honors them. Eventually they gotta hang up a jersey in the rafters for Gerry McNamara. Oh, and football needs to unretire 44.

I thought this was the dumbest thing ever because it was basically waving the white flag on Syracuse football. "We totally suck now and will never get anyone good enough to wear 44 again."

Honestly I think officially retiring numbers should be really strict (and it should basically never ever happen in football, because of the position rules).

After football, hockey should be the next strictest. They retired 99, big freaking deal. I think only one other person in NHL history wore 99. Only one person has worn 66 in the whole league since Mario, and it was a minor-league call-up guy who got the number just because, he didn't request it.

I would be perfectly ok with the Penguins, for example, never retiring another number again. Jagr's a jerkoff and doesn't deserve it, and good as Crosby and Malkin are, they aren't Mario. And nobody is going to wear their numbers in the future anyway. Hell, no one did before except KONSTANTIN KOLTSOV.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I'm a little surprised I havent heard of it yet (but I'm sure some team has already done it), but I wouldn't be surprised if a minor league team decided to a "Turn Ahead the Clock/Retired Numbers Night" promotion and had all the players wear a futuristic jersey with triple digit numbers. Would be interesting to see how that would look haha.

Archived