Teams that have started horrible design trends.

Ark

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can call it a "trend", thank goodness, but the "four stripe" patch the Isles brought in with the return of their traditional look...that could have been a trend. The only other I can think of is the Oilers black alt paying homage to the five cups.

I think we may be out of the woods for that becoming a "trend".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Roundels. (recently)

Initial offender: Minnesota Wild, 2003

gaborikmarianMIN023.jpg

Subsequent offenders *note, some logos pre-dated the Wild, but have only been featured on jerseys since the trend started. Others were just part of the graphic that i had previously made

Screenshot2011-07-24at12940PM.png

Screenshot2011-07-24at12952PM.png

Some of those are good eg. Hawks and the second pens one but alot of them are horrible eg. The first wild, the preds one ect.

I don't think you can call it a "trend", thank goodness, but the "four stripe" patch the Isles brought in with the return of their traditional look...that could have been a trend. The only other I can think of is the Oilers black alt paying homage to the five cups.

That alt was navy, not black. I had one when it was released <_<

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

To an extent. It looks nice on the older teams like the Rangers but teams like the Sharks shouldn't try to adopt an old school feel with their jerseys

I think that either all 30 teams should have lace up collars, or only the Original Six. One or the other.

I think it would be a cool differentiating feature if just the Original Six had them. So far, 3/6 do (Leafs, Bruins, Rangers)

That would be a very unique thing I'd like to see

Go A's!

Whoever started the current boring faux-retro trend in sports would be the worst offender.

In hockey, that's definitely Reebok's ultra-futuristic Edge v1 set that started that trend. The "Vintage" series in 2003-04 didn't work out that well sales-wise. Nobody bought the '68 baby blue Pens jersey then, everybody bought one when the Winter Classic used it

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Montreal's "Stanley Cup stripe patch"

1912-13_Jersey_large.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

As far as I could tell, the initial offender of the vintage white trend.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-797636805-1253310374.jpg

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I wouldn't mind the Pens' current blue uniform if it actually looked like one of the blue uniforms they wore in the past. Their first WC uniform was much better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm perfectly fine with the white nameplates on the Flyers orange jerseys because of the historical context, which I find really cool and unique. Not to mention they make their t-shirt jerseys (or "shirseys") look really cool :D. For those who may not be aware, nationally televised games mandated the use of names on the backs of jerseys. The Flyers didn't have nameplates for their orange uniforms. So when they played away games on NBC, they would borrow the white nameplates from their home uniforms. I think this only lasted one season; after that they put names on the away uniforms full-time.

The same can't be said for the black nameplates on the Flyers current white jerseys, however. Or other teams that never used a contrasting nameplate in their history, for that matter. From that standpoint I would agree, it's not a great design trend.

Van_Boxmeer_Schultz2__3__medium.JPG

(image source from this article: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2012/2/19/2808824/remember-how-nbc-sunday-nhl-hockey-used-to-be)

http://www.nhlsnipers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ept_sports_nhl_experts-797636805-1253310374.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't/doesn't the Minnesota Wild red jersey have vintage white first? Although you'd be correct in saying the Boston Winter Classic jersey really kicked off the trend. The Wild would be the hipster that liked it before it became popular :P

http://nhluniforms.com/Wild/Wild.html

http://www.nhlsnipers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ept_sports_nhl_experts-797636805-1253310374.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't/doesn't the Minnesota Wild red jersey have vintage white first? Although you'd be correct in saying the Boston Winter Classic jersey really kicked off the trend. The Wild would be the hipster that liked it before it became popular :P

http://nhluniforms.com/Wild/Wild.html

The Wild's colour is actually classified as "Wheat", and is not trying to be white.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Whoever started the current boring faux-retro trend in sports would be the worst offender.

In hockey, that's definitely Reebok's ultra-futuristic Edge v1 set that started that trend. The "Vintage" series in 2003-04 didn't work out that well sales-wise. Nobody bought the '68 baby blue Pens jersey then, everybody bought one when the Winter Classic used it

I think in baseball, you could make a case that the Phillies change from their 70s-80s set to their current one in 1992 would be one of the first moves to a faux-back design.

Since then, when the neo-retro stadiums started opening, and teams like the Indians started wearing old-style uniforms, I think that's when the fad really started.

In football, I think that the Lions throwbacks for the '94 season (and to a lesser extend the 49ers) really got teams thinking about older looks, and then in less than a decade we saw the Giants and Jets go back to old looks.

Obviously, the popularity of the Chargers powder blue started a trend as well, as teams like the Nuggets all of a sudden decided that bright blue and yellow were a good combo. That eventually morphed in to the blue-on-blue craze, which Dallas, Memphis, and (most eggregiously) Utah followed (along with countless hockey teams.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

Well the thread subtitle does say "Or good trends even."

Though I'm with phutmasterflex. They work for some teams, but they seem out of place on others. That the San Jose Sharks wear a lace-up collar while the Montreal Canadiens wear the stock Edge v-neck is just wrong.

I think whether the lace-up collar works depends entirely on the overall design of the jersey itself. If it's got an old timey feel or you're going for a classic look, then yeah, go ahead and throw on a lace-up collar. But modern looking wordmarks, templates or logos they mostly don't work with at all. Calgary's mess, the old SENS third and the leaping cartoony Shark are the first things that come to mind that shouldn't have lace-ups going anywhere near them.

Speaking of Ottawa: if you're gonna stick a black lace-up on a black jersey, why bother at all? It's barely noticeable and may as well not even be there.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Fun fact: Every single high school football team in the country wore the Broncos template from 1998-2001.

If I recall, my high school adopted that design in my junior year, which was 2002. But interesting fact nonetheless.

lol yeah i think it was more like 99/00 -04/05

When nike started getting more involved in high school uniforms is when that desing took off in the high school world.. or thats how it seemed in Texas at least. Shortly after were the variations of Miamis uniforms which morphed into Russels main template recently.

The 1964 White Sox

1969-01.jpg

They weren't the first team to do powder blue, but no one had done if for 20 years at this point, and it was codified as an alternative to grey 5 years later when the Expos and Pilots came into existence wearing it.

Archived