Teams that have started horrible design trends.

Ark

The entire NFL in 1994, for starting the "New Uniforms that are Old Uniforms" trend (esp. the Giants, 49ers, Jets, Cowyboys, and Chargers). I know the Giants/White Sox did the same thing in 92-93, but in my mind, it really exploded after the NFL 75th anniversary.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I could tell, the initial offender of the vintage white trend.

http://www.nhlsnipers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ept_sports_nhl_experts-797636805-1253310374.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't/doesn't the Minnesota Wild red jersey have vintage white first? Although you'd be correct in saying the Boston Winter Classic jersey really kicked off the trend. The Wild would be the hipster that liked it before it became popular :P

http://nhluniforms.com/Wild/Wild.html

The Wild's colour is actually classified as "Wheat", and is not trying to be white.

Gotcha, thanks for the correction.

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

To an extent. It looks nice on the older teams like the Rangers but teams like the Sharks shouldn't try to adopt an old school feel with their jerseys

There's an old school feel to the laceup collar, but I don't give that much thought because the history of the laceup is

difficult to track before the 1940s. As far as I can tell, the Rangers brought it to the NHL then, too, but before that it was a more functional thing that kept wool sweater collars from stretching out, and was usually hidden.

Why I like the laceup, is because it's unique to hockey. No other sport does it. Like the stirrup to baseball, it's one-sport-only, and it really should stand in as the iconic image for the hockey sweater

AS Roma used a lace-up collar in 1994-95

http://www.asromashirt.it/collezione/90_00/94-95.htm

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

To an extent. It looks nice on the older teams like the Rangers but teams like the Sharks shouldn't try to adopt an old school feel with their jerseys

There's an old school feel to the laceup collar, but I don't give that much thought because the history of the laceup is

difficult to track before the 1940s. As far as I can tell, the Rangers brought it to the NHL then, too, but before that it was a more functional thing that kept wool sweater collars from stretching out, and was usually hidden.

Why I like the laceup, is because it's unique to hockey. No other sport does it. Like the stirrup to baseball, it's one-sport-only, and it really should stand in as the iconic image for the hockey sweater

That's fascinating! Especially so late an example! I figured there must be all sorts of examples, especially with turn-of-the-century baseball teams, but never a 90s soccer team. I realized it was such a hockey thing when I watched the 1999 movie Superstar and chuckled at the football jerseys having laceups

molly_shannon_will_ferrell_superstar_001.jpg

I guess it didn't catch on with that soccer team, so I still maintain it's something unique to the sport, but it's definitely one attempted crossover, like the old NFL Referee stirrup socks

6044797079_6a0cba50ea.jpg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

That's fascinating! Especially so late an example! I figured there must be all sorts of examples, especially with turn-of-the-century baseball teams, but never a 90s soccer team. I realized it was such a hockey thing when I watched the 1999 movie Superstar and chuckled at the football jerseys having laceups

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1999_Superstar/molly_shannon_will_ferrell_superstar_001.jpg

I guess it didn't catch on with that soccer team, so I still maintain it's something unique to the sport, but it's definitely one attempted crossover, like the old NFL Referee stirrup socks http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6202/6044797079_6a0cba50ea.jpg

How about another crossover? European hockey jerseys with soccer/football kit collars (and lots of advertisements as well): http://www.frosken.com/hockey/norway.html

I guess it didn't catch on with that soccer team, so I still maintain it's something unique to the sport, but it's definitely one attempted crossover, like the old NFL Referee stirrup socks

Didnt stirrups originate because the die in the socks was like bad for wounds and would infect them and whatnot?

i think basketball and football both used stirrups. Baseball of course is the most prominent, and turned them into a fashion trend.

Didnt stirrups originate because the die in the socks was like bad for wounds and would infect them and whatnot?

i think basketball and football both used stirrups. Baseball of course is the most prominent, and turned them into a fashion trend.

the story I was told, and I don't know if I could back this up as evidence, was that with teams being known for the color and style of their socks, they were an important part of the uniform and therefore reused all season, sometimes multiple seasons. These used to be complete socks, but they would need replacing: they would wear out in one of two places, the toe, or the heel. So, enterprising team owners cut the toes and heels off their socks, told the players to wear sanitaries underneath (something that might have already been common practice with re-used socks), and only the small stirrup would keep the sock in place. Over time, those would get stretched out to the point where you'd see the 3", 5" and 7" stirrups, usually an indicator of how old the sock was.

I've seen it in other sports, usually with old game-worn uniform pieces. I think the Packers were big on stirrup socks for the same logic as the above, more use with less wear, and it was always covered with ankle tape. Ditto hockey socks. Some, especially for younger kids, have the strip of elastic on the bottom for under the foot. I think baseball is the only place where using a stirrup instead of a sock went from dirty little secret to a sense of pride, and later a fashion trend.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

It was because of the dye. Hence the term "sanitary" for the white undersocks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

the story I was told, and I don't know if I could back this up as evidence, was that with teams being known for the color and style of their socks, they were an important part of the uniform and therefore reused all season, sometimes multiple seasons. These used to be complete socks, but they would need replacing: they would wear out in one of two places, the toe, or the heel. So, enterprising team owners cut the toes and heels off their socks, told the players to wear sanitaries underneath (something that might have already been common practice with re-used socks), and only the small stirrup would keep the sock in place. Over time, those would get stretched out to the point where you'd see the 3", 5" and 7" stirrups, usually an indicator of how old the sock was.

I've seen it in other sports, usually with old game-worn uniform pieces. I think the Packers were big on stirrup socks for the same logic as the above, more use with less wear, and it was always covered with ankle tape. Ditto hockey socks. Some, especially for younger kids, have the strip of elastic on the bottom for under the foot. I think baseball is the only place where using a stirrup instead of a sock went from dirty little secret to a sense of pride, and later a fashion trend.

that is story is very plausible but from what I heard is that the dye used to color the wool socks was semi-toxic and could not be worn directly on skin thus forcing baseball and football players to wear sanitaries underneath...players then quickly figured out that that wearing two pair of socks inside a cleat/spike/boot caused discomfort so they began to cut the heels and toes out of their colored socks.

nonetheless the stirrup was never intended to be a unique piece and should have never gained a place as part of any "traditional" uniform aesthetic as they look stupid and are so not functional(especially high pulled ones from the 60's/70's/80's)

The helmet numbers are such a better solution.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

lol

I don't think you can call it a "trend", thank goodness, but the "four stripe" patch the Isles brought in with the return of their traditional look...that could have been a trend. The only other I can think of is the Oilers black alt paying homage to the five cups.

I think we may be out of the woods for that becoming a "trend".

Montreal's "Stanley Cup stripe patch"

1912-13_Jersey_large.jpg

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

or was that skinny at one time

3447265414_f9a757fe8a.jpg

If you would have told me that Shaq wore shorts that short in the NBA I never would have believed you without seeing it...

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Whoever started the current boring faux-retro trend in sports would be the worst offender.

In hockey, that's definitely Reebok's ultra-futuristic Edge v1 set that started that trend. The "Vintage" series in 2003-04 didn't work out that well sales-wise. Nobody bought the '68 baby blue Pens jersey then, everybody bought one when the Winter Classic used it

I think in baseball, you could make a case that the Phillies change from their 70s-80s set to their current one in 1992 would be one of the first moves to a faux-back design.

Since then, when the neo-retro stadiums started opening, and teams like the Indians started wearing old-style uniforms, I think that's when the fad really started.

In football, I think that the Lions throwbacks for the '94 season (and to a lesser extend the 49ers) really got teams thinking about older looks, and then in less than a decade we saw the Giants and Jets go back to old looks.

Obviously, the popularity of the Chargers powder blue started a trend as well, as teams like the Nuggets all of a sudden decided that bright blue and yellow were a good combo. That eventually morphed in to the blue-on-blue craze, which Dallas, Memphis, and (most eggregiously) Utah followed (along with countless hockey teams.)

I think the fad in baseball started with the White Sox. They revamped the 1950's look for the new stadium opening in 1991. They were the first of the wave of new stadiums opening, and teams started using their stadium openings as reasons to rebrand, often going retro.

As for football, I don't think there has been an overwhelming retro trend. That Lions set didn't lead to anything similar, including the Lions twice changing their unis after that. The 49ers liked the black dropshadows and decided to include them in the 1996 set, but that was the only aspect of the set which could be considered retro. The Jets and Giants went back to older looks, but since then teams have generally gone away from older looks. The only somewhat traditional look which was brought back was the Bills in white helmets, and that happened in large part because they went so far in the other direction on their previous revamp.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived