Teams that have started horrible design trends.

Ark

I don't understand why people get upset with new teams looking more traditional. A good look is a good look. Old teams should explore options that include more modern designs, and new teams should explore options that include more traditional designs. The spectrum is open to all of them.

In the case of the above uniforms, the issue isn't a traditional look, it's just the specific look. Florida's just isn't very good I don't even really know what bothers me most, it just isn't good. Tampa Bay's is okay, but there's some inconsistencies that bother me, and i just think they could do a lot better with their name.

On the other hand, Columbus nailed it. Absolutely nailed it. In theory, I'd like to see them keep red around, but I don't know where it'd fit in that look. So screw it. Just use that. That uniform is one of the best in hockey.

I agree heartily. One good thing as well is that they didn't adopt the standard block font for their names and numbers, which is at least something. Their alt's current colour and look is a better fit for a team calling itself the Blue Jackets.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why people get upset with new teams looking more traditional. A good look is a good look. Old teams should explore options that include more modern designs, and new teams should explore options that include more traditional designs. The spectrum is open to all of them.

In the case of the above uniforms, the issue isn't a traditional look, it's just the specific look. Florida's just isn't very good I don't even really know what bothers me most, it just isn't good. Tampa Bay's is okay, but there's some inconsistencies that bother me, and i just think they could do a lot better with their name.

On the other hand, Columbus nailed it. Absolutely nailed it. In theory, I'd like to see them keep red around, but I don't know where it'd fit in that look. So screw it. Just use that. That uniform is one of the best in hockey.

There's a difference between exploring a modern part of a design such as laces and throwing away a perfectly good identity (Tampa Bay) in favour of some unnecessary wannabe old-school look. Not to mention that regardless of how old these teams are, these jerseys are just bad. I'll go through what's wrong with each:

Florida: They've always been a red/navy/yellow team. So...where did the latter two go? And where did the powder come from? They also just lazily and unnecessarily slapped their logo's head in a circle - at the very least, Columbus came up with an original design for their logo.

Columbus: The font is terrible, first and foremost. Second of all, the piss white just looks horrendous. Again - where did the red go? And where did the light blue come from? Again, falling into the double-blue and logo-in-a-circle trends.

Tampa Bay: This was probably the most half-assed set in the league. They used Detroit's exact striping pattern and the Leaf's exact same shade of blue. The Leafs first wore blue and white 94 years before the rebrand. Ninety-four. That's their colour. Why on Earth would a team throw away a unique colour scheme just to rip off another team's historic and iconic one? And of course, the logo is something I could design in MS Paint in, oh, about 3 minutes. "Hockey Genius™" Steve Yzerman is under the moronic influence that a simple look is automatically "iconic". It isn't. A look with history and tradition does. Why is Toronto's simple blue and white look iconic? 13 Cups and 60+ Hall of Famers. Detroit's simple red and white? 11 Cups and plenty of Hall of Famers. Montréal's "C", Boston's spoked "B", Chicago's Native head, and the Rangers' script? Al the same reasons. Even if these were penta-coloured neon Jahgee concepts, they'd still be iconic. Not because of the simplicity, but because of the history.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

This sort of ties in with laces

No pun intended?

And I agree with STL Fanatic on the Columbus unis.

Count me in, as well. I want one of those...easily one of my favorite hockey sweaters of all, right up there with the old laurel-trimmed Ottawa Senators black sweaters from the early 2000s (?) and original Florida Panthers sweaters.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'll go with the extra-wide side jersey and pants stripes that Adidas introduced to pretty much all of its college football teams circa 2002. I'm not sure who was first - they all appeared to start at the same time - but damn were they ugly.

KhwKN.jpg

bL2qK.jpg

8werr.jpg

And a rare double:

pgo1v.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet.

Galaxy first N-A pro team to have sponsor on jersey

lagalaxy-herbalife.jpg

Real Salt Lake actually beat the Galaxy to the punch, but either way it is terrible. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/15754893/

Technically, RSL was the first MLS team to get a shirt sponsor. Lower-level US/Canadian teams were already doing it before then; and, let's not all forget that Mexico is part of North America.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1994 - Cowboys introduce their "Double Star" alternates, with the first use of a small wordmark above the numbers in the NFL.

Deion-white-Double_1.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

To an extent. It looks nice on the older teams like the Rangers but teams like the Sharks shouldn't try to adopt an old school feel with their jerseys

I think more importantly I remember reading that players (for the most part) like the lace ups. I love it. Its not new by any means. Its a lot like the gray facemasks in football, but serves an actual purpose (adjustable neck room)as well as being aesthetically old-style.

I think the lace ups are a good thing. I think it gives hockey a more old style feel.

To an extent. It looks nice on the older teams like the Rangers but teams like the Sharks shouldn't try to adopt an old school feel with their jerseys

I think more importantly I remember reading that players (for the most part) like the lace ups. I love it. Its not new by any means. Its a lot like the gray facemasks in football, but serves an actual purpose (adjustable neck room)as well as being aesthetically old-style.

The laces today are purely aesthetic; they aren't used for adjusting neck room like the original ones.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

the sixers and their cut of t-shirts

iverson-webber.jpg

i hated these. look like the cheap replica jerseys all teams sell

only team i could think of that followed them is the rockets who still use it

071112-NBA-kyle-lowry-EN-PI_20120711125123587_660_320.JPG

just hate how wide the shoulder sleeves are

They look nice. Wasn't this the catalyst for the street replicas?

51-31818-F.jpg

I just realized that up until last year one of the teams in my league was using the Denver jersey template with the extra wide Adidas stripe, now another team also uses it with no pant stripe one other team uses the wide jersey/pant stripe and another team uses the titans template (which kinda makes me laugh because they are the oilers) this leaves one team who doesn't use a generic template and the have a hiatus pig on their waist and I'm fairly sure that its a strait rip of a college team

I agree, to a point, but you need to have limits, on both ends. You could take the name "Montreal Canadiens" and the colour scheme red, white, and blue and come up with a very nice, modern look. Doesn't means the Canadiens should wear it though. Likewise, while I'm personally a fan of simpler, more traditional styles there's no reason why the Tampa Bay Lightning should look like an Original Six team.

Columbus' alternates are great in a vacuum. Thing is, a uniform shouldn't be judged like that. While it looks great it cashes in on three trends that had been done to death prior to its unveiling. Double blue, the roundel, and vintage white had already been played into the ground by the time the Blue Jackets got around to their alternate sweater. While it uses all of those elements well, it's still a tired design.

Maybe if it had come out five years earlier....

Weird stripes, panels, pretty much all of it.

John_Elway.jpgjohn_elway_terrell_davis_photofile.jpg

That was immediately the example I thought of. The Broncos uniforms blew the lid off of conventional football design, which at the time, was pretty tame across the board. Before them there were no teams taking chances. After them, Oregon and Miami especially, began to trot out whacky looking uniforms every year. They showed people that you don't have to a linear striped uniform with a block font.

Fun fact: Every single high school football team in the country wore the Broncos template from 1998-2001.

Yeah, that's the best example. And to this day, I dont know. Was it:

• Just a "revolutionary" design? (which is about what I figured at the time)
  • An early example of the manufacturer billboardizing itself?
  • Ahead of the game on "sleeves are disappearing" design?

I think the design started because someone was typing up the proposal, but they had trouble with sticking keys on their keyboard, and ended up with a bunch of parentheses on the proposal, and someone terribly misunderstood.

Long live the Fighting Parentheses!

rATMcmK.png

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet.

Galaxy first N-A pro team to have sponsor on jersey

lagalaxy-herbalife.jpg

Since then

mlsrf9_rxO.jpg

WnbaBing.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1283497272694

Real Salt Lake actually beat the Galaxy to the punch, but either way it is terrible. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/15754893/

There were corporate sponsors on MLS jerseys as early as the second year of the league--but they were on the back, below the number (which I prefer, actually). I remember Crew had Snickers and Revs had Bic.

rATMcmK.png

Archived