NHL meets AFL

WLD42

just saying for north melbourne, they are actually called that now since 2007, they were called the kangaroos from 1999-2006 so yeh just my two cents for where you said they arent called north melbourne at the moment. and in 2006 the power used this jumper (on the bottom) http://www.aflcentra..._1161653506.jpg which is the only other port jumper that i can think of that has grey and i like how on the clash hockey jersey for the saints you went a bit heritage the the stripes, anyways, when are you doing an oilers geurnsey? would love to see an adaption, oh and sorry for reposting the jerseys just before i was trying to figure out how to respond :P

I know they're back to having North Melbourne in their name now; I think I might not have worded it so that that was clear, though. I was last in Australia in August of '07, though, right before they changed back, so when I first learned of them I was trying to figure out where they were from, and that part of their history has just always stuck with me for that reason. And that's certainly quite a jumper Port has there! Definitely trying a little too hard to be "modern"... which is probably why they aren't wearing it today!

Anyways, thanks for the response, and glad you liked the Saints jersey. It's funny that you post now, because I was actually just thinking about this dead old thread today and wondering if I should try reviving it. I guess I will give it another shot, because the concepts aren't doing anything right now other than sitting on my hard drive, and we'll just see how it goes! The Oilers aren't too far down the road. For now, though, it looks like where I left off would be the Atlanta Flames and the New York Islanders.

The Flames are my first crack at a large-logo guernsey, which I know can be a love-it-or-hate-it deal. But I think it works here, that it keeps it pretty classy and isn't too overbearing. And after all, they are (well... were) a "non-traditional southern market" in the NHL, and we know how they love their crazy designs.

ATLF1.png

ATLF2.png

The Isles are, of course, the natural fit for the Dockers' old anchor jumper, so why not? Since their actual hockey jerseys are considered quite classic and good-looking, though, I didn't want the less-than-traditional anchor design to be their only one, so I gave them a Saints-style three-stripe alternate, which could just as easily be a UVA guernsey were this a college thread!

NYI1.png

NYI2.png

NYI3.png

Just for good measure, since this thread's been dead for ages, I'll throw in an AFL hockey jersey, too. The only part I struggled with here was what color to make the FFC on the white jersey so that the colors didn't seem unbalanced. Leaving it yellow seemed too little contrast between that and the white, and neither red nor blue looked quite right, but I guess I ended up with red at the end of the day. I'm pretty happy with the jerseys overall, but the white one is still definitely not quite satisfactory for me.

FITZ1.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Flames look--it matches well to that classic look.

The Isle's one would actually look better than any alternate the Isles have used...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

wouldn't call a couple months ages ;) and anyways....myself, I've long figured if there were footy at UVA, their jumper would be a near dead ringer for Victoria's Big V, only notable difference being a bit of orange trim. Anything else, the old saying goes, would be uncivlized.

Atl Flames: I tend to not be a huge fan of yellow shorts, but eh, you work with what you got. And I figure a white or gold flame would've been a better choice for the first choice, but that's just me, good job otherwise

Isles: I can't really articulate why, or tell ya why either, but though the Freo anchor is definitely one direction this could potentially sail, maybe a four-chevron version of Freo's current jumper would've been a better choice, if only to utilize the four stripes in a more prominent way than the socks' turnover. Solid, but just something's bugging the hell out of me about it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It's always appreciated. I tried out the suggestions you made, Discrim, and the Flames definitely look better with the yellow flame on the red jumper. I'd been "working with what I got," as it were, but I've been slowly figuring out one or two functions of Photoshop, and discovering its "smart" fill tool has really increased my ability to actually execute things that I have in my brain, which is pretty great. I also tried out a four-chevron Isles jumper, and while it doesn't look bad at all (navy, orange, and white would probalby look good on just about anything), I think I'm still partial to the anchor. Maybe this is an alternate alternate?

ATLF1-1.png

NYI1-1.png

Thanks, Spearhead! I appreciate it.

Not too much to say as far as the KC Scouts are concerned. They've got a great color palette, obviously somewhat similar to the Adelaide Crows, so I wanted to stay away from copying that, but the hoops just looked so good that I had to go with it in some form. The two extra-thick hoops were my solution as far as making it original; I don't recall hoops that thick on any jumper I've seen, and even if it does exist, it's not the Crows!

KCS1.png

KCS2.png

The Caps were a fun set to create. The Weagle fits perfectly on the front, stretching from arm to arm, and making the front and back different colors seemed like a good fit for the Caps' color scheme. I tried it, I thought it looked good, and so I kept it. The socks are a carbon copy of their hockey socks.

WSH1.png

WSH2.png

The Canadiens-style hoop that the Bulldogs had prior to this past season has made the leap from guernsey to jersey. Well, more or less. And the new red-and-white double hoop that they wore this past season is represented as well. So that's where the blue jersey came from, an amalgamation of their two most recent jumpers. I think for the white jersey, I just created some stripes, slapped them on there, and was pleased with the result.

WB.png

Thanks! I'm actually still not sure how I feel about the red waist stripe on the blue jersey, though. The more I look at it, the more convinced I am that I should just eliminate it entirely.

Here's a couple more NHL teams that are no longer with us: The Cleveland Barons and Colorado Rockies. For the Barons' set, I took inspiration from the angled cuff striping of their hockey sweaters. They didn't really seem to have much in the way of unique, defining features during their brief existence, so I took what I could and ran with it.

CLE1.png

CLE2.png

The Rockies came to me pretty easily. I'll admit that the secondary seemed like a great idea in my head, but I'm a little iffier about it in its execution; I actually demoted it from primary to secondary once I saw how it turned out. I think it's still solid enough to be a love-it-or-hate-it secondary jumper, but if its reception is more hate-it than love-it, I'm definitely down to try again and either scrap it completely, or demote it once more to be an alternate.

COLR1.png

COLR2.png

The next AFL team to make the jump to hockey is the Richmond Tigers. They've got a wonderfully simple and uncluttered look on their jumpers, so I tried to create a look that emulated that style, without actually borrowing any design elements. After all, the sash is really the only design element there to be borrowed, and that's a little out-there and not simple-looking at all, as far hockey jerseys go.

RICH.png

And as long as I'm here, a couple edits that are significant enough to post, but not major enough to fill up the thread with more images, so I'm just linking to them:

University Students - Added the front number that I'm convinced somebody suggested to give it that college feel, but now I can't seem to find the post that made that suggestion! Either way, though, it's been added. Makes me wish now that I could give the script a black outline on the white jersey, but I'm just not quite sure how to go about that with the programs I have, so them's the breaks.

North Melbourne Kangaroos - Eliminated the silver from the socks.

Western Bulldogs - Got rid of the waist stripe like I'd mentioned I probably would. I'm much happier with it now!

The Edmonton Oilers feature another large-logo design. I didn't really plan it this way, since I didn't create them all in the chronological order that I'm presenting them, but maybe subconsciously, this era of teams seemed to my brain to be the ones where this style would have been first experimented with. Since it is a little bit out-there, I gave them a more traditional alternate (maybe something of a fauxback?) featuring vertical stripes and utilizing their wonderful color scheme to its fullest.

EDM1.png

EDM2.png

EDM3.png

For the Whalers, it wasn't too difficult. I gave them the Saints-style triple stripe, but with a little twist to turn it into an H! Ta-dahhh! Pretty simple, mildly clever, and I hope rather good-looking.

HAR1.png

HAR2.png

I think the first thing that came to my mind when designing the 'Pies was that the refs in this fictional AFL hockey league wouldn't be able to be dressed as zebras. I tried to keep it pretty simple, considering that their colors are, y'know, black and white, but I wanted to include a good number of stripes, as my attempt at carrying over the style of their footy jumpers. In an earlier draft, I had four thinner stripes on the arms and socks, but I think the two thicker ones are a much cleaner look.

COLL1.png

• 5 weeks later...

The Nordiques are another pretty uncomplicated set: Blue with white stripes, and red as an accent color. Now that I look at the set again, I expect I'll go back and make a fleur-de-lis-based alternate, because in all honesty I probably should have found a way to incorporate it into the main two jumpers to begin with!

QBC1.png

QBC2.png

The Winnipeg Jets (version 1.0) have hoops based off of the striping of their 1990-96 jerseys. White stripes with a red border on the blue jumper, and white stripes with a red border on the white.

WPGJ1.png

WPGJ2.png

I've always enjoyed the gold and brown color scheme of the Hawthorn Hawks, so I really enjoyed getting creative with it. I guess the only question I have is if there's too much going on, or if it looks like it would work.

HAW.png

The newest batch looks good--I agree the Nordiques one needs a Fleur de lis

As for the Hawks--did you try that with brown shoulders?

I think that might look more balanced--but oevrall this last batc is well done.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• 1 month later...

I didn't try it with brown shoulders, only because I really liked the logo I'd found, and didn't want to have to deal with changing its color... Picturing it in my head, I think it probably would look really good with brown shoulders, but it just wasn't worth the effort in my mind for something that's just a small hobby that helps me procrastinate.

The Calgary Flames jumper seems perhaps a tad busy to me now, as I look at it a few months after having created it, but I suppose that's just a result of it matching the style of their jerseys, at least in recent years. That's what I'm telling myself, at any rate! I'm not sure if the secondary would look any better in real life rather than on a 2D template, or if it would still look like Davy Jones on fire.

CGY1.png

CGY2.png

The Devils' red and black color scheme needed an equally intimidating and aggressive jumper design, so I went with the Dockers' chevrons, repeated all the way down. If you wanted to get really symbolic about it, you could say that it's pointing down to hell, but in all honesty, that's just me BSing. I actually chose it because the sharp angles worked well, and it kept red as the base color while still allowing for a lot of black to be used too.

NJD1.png

NJD2.png

Finally, this post's AFL team is the Brisbane Bears, with their cute koala logo, and with a jersey design that I may have gone a little bit crazy with. I'll just... let this sit here and leave it at that.

BB.png

the recent fare:

Devils: kinda reminds me of Michael Jackson's Thriller jacket for some reason, but it's pretty alright nonetheless.

Flames: eh...um...ah...nope...far as anything to say, I got nothin. Just a tricky situation there.

Brisbane: one thing's missing....much like everybody remembers the stripper, the Brisbane Bears jumper everybody remembers is the cerise one :D

some of the older stuff I missed:

Oilers: first two remind me of a concept I'd made a long time ago...big ass sublimated oil drop on the front, smaller oil drops on each sleeve incorporated into the striping. The third one should be the main one though, distinct enough it won't be mistaken for the Isles, but stripey enough to be the main.

Rockies: good choice on both...honestly, the primary would've been what I'd done for Colorado's Origin set had I not decided on purple instead.

Jets: well, it is what you aimed for: the old Jets

Hawks: to save on words, this one works. Like a space heater in winter.

Doggies: Haven't looked at the revamp yet, but yeh, I probably would eliminate the chest stripe on the blue. A lot of the NBA's big color one-offs left a rather sour taste in my mouth. Especially the illegible Clippers.

Nordiques: needs some fleur de lis. Looks like a Roos jumper that came out slightly wrong otherwise. Maybe braces with a fleur in the middle?

Whalers: oddly enough, reminds me of the old R&B group H-Town (if any of you ever heard "Somebody Rockin Knockin da Boots," that was them)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived