NHL meets AFL

WLD42

What is the AFL? I came here looking for the Arena Football League and found soccer!

It's actually neither arena football nor soccer; rather, it's the Australian Football League, the top league for Australian rules football. It's a great sport, though sadly underexposed in the U.S. Give it a look, you might like it!

I'd like to wait for a few more comments on what I've got so far before I post the next NHL teams, although I do plan on doing so by the end of the night one way or the other. I do, however, have an update on the Wanderers, after having tried out what lancealot suggested. Let me know which you prefer!

MTLW1-1.png

MTLW2-1.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two more NHL teams for your viewing pleasure. I think I'll be posting sets of two NHL teams' guernseys at a time from here on out, just because there's really no sense stringing it out that long.

The Montreal Maroons are the last team from Montreal that I have a concept for, I promise! It's a very simple guernsey that I really don't have a whole lot to say about; I gave it a second color side panel to give it a little something to break up the monotony, but on the whole, I think the relative monotony works for a team called the Maroons. Think of this concept as the NHL's Carlton Blues.

MTLM1.png

MTLM2.png

The Chicago Blackhawks' guernsey uses the old-fashioned striping from their 1951-'55 jersey, which I felt worked very well on an Aussie rules jumper. The large number box with a thin outline is intended to add to the old-fashioned feel. When I look at the stripes from the '51-'55 jersey, my first impression is that it's almost a patternless mish-mash, even though it clearly does have a pattern to it; even so, I used that initial reaction to create the socks, which are a result of me playing around with various stripes until I landed on something that was devoid of any pattern but which still looked good. I'm not particularly happy with the secondary, and I'm thinking of perhaps scrapping it altogether and creating a simpler guernsey, either one that's still red or one that's white, so feedback and thoughts on that would be appreciated.

CHI1.png

CHI2.png

Geelong: the color scheme doesn't really stop this from looking un-Geelongish...you'd probably have been better off with two contrasting stripes on the hem and sleeves (basically a Leafs copy with thicker stripes)

Wanderers: fortunately for you, they are 1) non-existent, and 2) do not have any organized support groups with whom a big W is part of the uniform as a result. It'd be getting bashed if it were a Washington Huskies jumper in the same design (which I know from experience...Washington's cheerleading uniforms have a similar big W on the tops)

Maroons: far as concept history goes, the Maroons and I go way back. Granted, I've only done one concept for em and haven't really thought about revisiting it, but I remember it like yesterday, cus of what it wound up kickstarting. Aside from the home's sidepanels, this is probably how I would go about it.

Hawks: love the home. Away might be best served with some variant of the three-stripes rather than the barberpole.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Geelong: the color scheme doesn't really stop this from looking un-Geelongish...you'd probably have been better off with two contrasting stripes on the hem and sleeves (basically a Leafs copy with thicker stripes)

Wanderers: fortunately for you, they are 1) non-existent, and 2) do not have any organized support groups with whom a big W is part of the uniform as a result. It'd be getting bashed if it were a Washington Huskies jumper in the same design (which I know from experience...Washington's cheerleading uniforms have a similar big W on the tops)

Maroons: far as concept history goes, the Maroons and I go way back. Granted, I've only done one concept for em and haven't really thought about revisiting it, but I remember it like yesterday, cus of what it wound up kickstarting. Aside from the home's sidepanels, this is probably how I would go about it.

Hawks: love the home. Away might be best served with some variant of the three-stripes rather than the barberpole.

Pretty much agree with everything said

I am partial to the curves on Geelong's jersey, partially because I've got a fair amount of straight lines in the rest of the league, but mostly because I think it works well with the curves of the logo that I've got on the front. I do think I'll take a look at maybe making those curved lines thicker, though. But for now, moving on to a new concept!

For University, I looked at some NCAA hockey jerseys for inspiration. Crazy, huh? A pretty traditional striping pattern, and I went with a classic collegiate-style script across the front (at least the best I could do with the relatively limited font selection I had... but I don't think it's that bad at all).

UNIV.png

I also have a couple of updates, a small one for Boston and a more significant one for Chicago.

BOS3-1.png

CHI2-1.png

For the home, I'd have just a single white outline for the NOB/number. Also, I'd use a different script. The one you currently use is a bit thin. Other than that, the jerseys and kits look fine.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

What afl team is that jersey ment to be? The haws look heaps better as do the bruins

It's Melbourne University, which competed in the VFL prior to World War I.

BigBubba: Trust me, I would love to use a different script. Unfortunately, this was the best one I could find out of the fonts that come with my computer. In my mind's eye, I definitely had a baseball-style, or Minnesota Wild third jersey-style, script with a tail under it, but I simply lack the ability to create something like that... Any advice, even if it's just where to find a free font download of something closer to what I'd like, would be great!

Today's the day to finish up the NHL's Original Six era! I've also got an updated Geelong Cats jersey.

This one pretty much designed itself. They're called the Red Wings. The WC Eagles have a wing design that is available for us Paint users to put onto our templates. Could it have made any more sense?

DET1.png

DET2.png

The New York Rangers' primary guernsey is meant to mimic their hockey jerseys, in a reductionist sort of way. The sash replaces the diagonal "RANGERS" text, being the same color and running the same direction. For the secondary, I kept the sash, since from what I've seen, teams that use a sash consider it to be their identity, but I made it into the stripe that the Rangers use on their away jerseys.

NYR1.png

NYR2.png

Finally, here's the updated Cats jersey. I'm unsure if it's an improvement or a lateral move. You tell me!

GEEL1.png

The Red Wings and Rangers both look really good. I really like that wing design, and the sash works for New York.

Geelong looks good too. On that template the curved hem striping doesn't work, but in real life it would follow the curve of the jersey, so I like it.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone! I think you'll all probably have a bit fewer "good jobs" and a bit more constructive criticism for the Carlton Blues, though. It's not one of the concepts that I'm happiest with, though I certainly wouldn't say I'm unhappy with it either. I decided not to take a whole lot of guidance from their original jumper, since it's just, well, solid blue. I ended up with the Flyers-style arms simply through trying various things and thinking that it didn't look all that bad. I'm thinking that what I probably need to do is minimize the use of black on the arms, probably to the point where it's no more than some piping around the wrist, so let me know if you think that's the right direction, and of course I'll take into account any other suggestions you have to make, as well.

You'll also notice that the Blues are the first team I'm posting to have their motto (at least as I can find on Wikipedia) sewn into the collar. Something small I added in just for fun.

CARL.png

On the red Wong I would add the wheel logo in between the wings like the eagles have. The rangers look great but I would add white lines where the red is on the road on the home. Geelong looks great, but maybe flip the stripes so they mimic the stripes in the logo. for Carlton I would change the black to the lighter powder blue of the alt they recently introduced with the alt as they are the 'double blues' change the road logo to blue as well as changing the curve so it meets the collar where the yolk would and change the number font to something more block :)

Thanks for the compliment, Dbro! I hope the Hawks set is to your liking as well.

Anyways, I've got an edited Carlton jersey in the works. I'll be perfectly honest and admit that the only reason I used black at all was because the black logo was the only non-white "CFC" I could find, but lo and behold, I try searching again and find a navy blue one on the very first results page! Go figure. I'm actually not a big fan of their powder blue, so I think their color scheme will be simply navy-and-white.

In the meantime, though, a couple more NHL teams, both now defunct.

The Philadelphia Quakers were a short-lived relocation of the slightly-longer-lived-but-still-short-lived Pittsburgh Pirates, but they gained some notoriety over the past year as people created all those Quakers-based concepts and false leaks for the Flyers' Winter Classic jersey. I tried the pinstripes, and I tried the sash, but ultimately I decided that neither one was quite enough on its own, so I used them both! For the secondary, I didn't like any of my options for making a significant change to the jumper, so I went the Richmond Tigers route and added a differently-colored side panel. Realistically speaking, though, they would probably never even need to use the secondary jumper in their one season of existence, since the league was still quite small and the Quakers were the only team to use any orange!

PHIQ1.png

PHIQ2.png

The St. Louis Eagles were another short-lived relocation, this time of the (original) Ottawa Senators. Not a whole lot of commentary from me on this one; I just took their red, white and blue color scheme and slapped it onto some classic-looking hoops.

STLE1.png

STLE2.png

The Quakers and Eagles both look great. I know I'm a bit late on this, but the diagonal stripe idea for the Rangers is awesome.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Next up: The North Melbourne Kangaroos. The decision to go with the Rangers-style diagonal text was made partly because I just couldn't find a suitable image of a logo that I was able to work with. The current logo has too many gradients and white spaces, not to mention it's holding a football, which I would prefer to avoid, and the old kangaroo silhouette seems only to exist in blue, and I'd need a white version for the dark jersey. Technicalities aside, though, I do think it works for them and looks good, otherwise I would have of course come up with a different solution. I think at least one team in the league is allowed to go the logo-less route, and North is it! I went with "North Melbourne" instead of "Kangaroos" because after the whole potential-relocation hoopla and changing their name to "just Kangaroos" for a bit, I decided it would be good for the team to go to the other extreme, emphasize their location, and reassure their fans that they're there to stay.

As for the jersey design, I tried to keep a hint of their vertical stripes: Obviously, the sides are white, and when the arms are at the player's side, it creates something of a multiple-vertical-stripe effect. I did add the silver from their current logo because I needed an accent color, but I'm thinking about getting rid of it in the socks, or at least redoing the socks in some way, because I'm not as happy as I could be with them.

NM.png

I've also got an updated Carlton set. The black is gone, and the blue is navy-er, since that was the color of the blue CFC logo that I found, and it was easier for me to change the background color behind the white logo, plus it's just a better color that's closer to their actual Aussie rules jumpers. The white/blue section on the arms are larger, mostly out of necessity, since without a black outline, I had to ensure that double-digit arm numbers would stay within the colored area. But I think it looks better to enlarge those colored areas, as well, especially with the elimination of the black.

CARL1.png

It's been a few days, so I guess I'll just have to bump the thread with new concepts... Comments on the Kangaroos, the Blues' update, and of course any of the older concepts are appreciated! For new stuff, though, the NHL's 1967 expansion begins with the two Californian teams, the Golden Seals and the Kings.

I think the Seals just have a really weird color scheme that's not very easy to work with, but I think the jumpers didn't come out too badly. I'm not sure what I might do to improve it, though, so I'm pretty open to suggestions.

CGS1.png

CGS2.png

CGS3.png

Maybe I'm biased because purple's my favorite color, but I think the Kings look great in it and need to keep it around, so naturally I decided to put them in it here. I thought that the Saints' rarely-used cross design was a pretty natural fit for the Kings. I used the gray/silver as the base color for the secondary because it's nothing I can ever recall having seen before, certainly not often, and I thought it looked pretty good. As for the throwback, I just couldn't see how I could not make a gold-and-purple alternate for them!

LAK1.png

LAK2.png

LAK3.png

Love the Kings. That cross design is spot on, and I like the colorways you used. As for North Melbourne, I like the reasoning for using the city name, but I don't think it works aesthetically with two lines of text. I think Kangaroos would LOOK better.

Archived