NHL meets AFL

WLD42

Rangers: on the home, great minds think similarly, as that basically looks like what I'd go with. I'd reverse the color of the clash stripes though.

Cats: yeh, definitely looks more Geelongish. ya nailed it this time.

University: far as going for the college hockey look, I would've considered a front number, but you're good otherwise.

Kings: in all honesty, mimicking St. Kilda's 'hot cross' wouldn't have been my first choice, but it works here.

Roos: you don't usually see two-word Ranger scripts. For that reason alone, I'd keep North the way it is.

Seals: that lighter green on the main jumper has me scratching my head...I don't recall them ever using it. I know their first jerseys used a decent amount of blue though, maybe try a bit of blue trim on the primary.

Carlton: On principle alone, the first try frankly sucked. Said principle being one I design by: never use black and navy together. Second try is much better on said principle alone.

StL Eagles: reminds me of a footy version of Dutch soccer club Willem II

Quakers: are we sure I didn't make the primary without knowing I did? ;) The secondary though, I would've gone in either a mainly black or mainly white direction cus even if they were the only orange team, orange and red tend to look similar.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Kings set, particularly the throwback, is pretty awesome. Don't know much (anything) about Aussie football and its jerseys but that Kings set is really cool.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

As for North Melbourne, I like the reasoning for using the city name, but I don't think it works aesthetically with two lines of text. I think Kangaroos would LOOK better.

Roos: you don't usually see two-word Ranger scripts. For that reason alone, I'd keep North the way it is.

The "novelty factor" that Discrim mentioned is actually another of the reasons that I gave it a try, and that I decided to keep it. If I make any third jerseys down the road, though, a "Kangaroos" diagonal script would definitely be the first thing I look at.

Seals: that lighter green on the main jumper has me scratching my head...I don't recall them ever using it. I know their first jerseys used a decent amount of blue though, maybe try a bit of blue trim on the primary.

You know, now that I look back on it, it has me scratching my head, too! The ColorWerx page has it listed as a supporting color for the California Seals, before they were "Golden," but I can't actually seem find it anywhere in their logo or jerseys. And the more I look at it, the less I like it, to the point where I don't even know why I used it in the first place. I'll probably keep the design and just change colors around, though; I think the sash plus side panels and shoulders gives it enough of a "quirkiness factor" to fit the Golden Seals!

Carlton: On principle alone, the first try frankly sucked. Said principle being one I design by: never use black and navy together. Second try is much better on said principle alone.

Quakers: are we sure I didn't make the primary without knowing I did? wink.gif The secondary though, I would've gone in either a mainly black or mainly white direction cus even if they were the only orange team, orange and red tend to look similar.

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of Carlton! I've learned from that mistake. I'll keep trying with the Quakers' clash, too, since I was never entirely satisfied with it. Thanks for the ideas, I'll give them a shot.

And thanks for the compliments on the Kings, mbannon and cohenj!

Anyways, here's the next concept, the Port Adelaide Power. You can read all about their storied past over on Discrim's AFL concept thread, but for my purposes, I didn't really dip into that history much at all. I made teal the primary color because of its uniqueness, and used the gray from the logo, even though I don't think it's ever been used on a guernsey, because I just thought it went really well together as far as creating a color scheme. The thin white-black-white stripes are the only real homage to the past, as it slightly emulates their "prison bars" look, but even then, it's borrowing more from the "prison bars" that are actually in the logo, rather than their old jumpers.

PORT.png

for port i would try using the asymmetrical stripes they have on their current uniforms with grey between the front and back ones ( grey has been used in a few of their alt jerseys)

i would probably take the teal part out of the logo on the primary also, i was thinking something more tringular to match their current striping

A couple of updates: A revamped Quakers secondary, and a completely redesigned Golden Seals set.

I felt that the Quakers' secondary needed to be more distinct from their primary, so I took Discrim's advice and added more white into the mix, while still keeping the overall identity.

PHIQ2-1.png

For the Golden Seals, I said that I would keep the design and just change around some colors, but I guess I lied! I just couldn't find a way to make the sash into anything I liked. Since I happened to have just posted my Port Adelaide concept, my brain went to them and their old "prison bars" guernsey for inspiration, and I'm much, much happier with the result.

CGS1-1.png

CGS2-1.png

CGS3-1.png

Two more teams from the 1967 expansion.

For the North Stars, I wanted to give them a look that was partly traditional and partly unique, so I took the classic vertical stripes and made them into arrows, mimicking their logo. I think I executed it well enough, but it could use a few tweaks; whether I make them, though, depends on how well the arrows are received, otherwise it's back to the drawing board! The alternate is pretty simple: The only thing I really have to say about it is that the star is off-center to, again, mimic the logo, and the result also places it over the player's heart, which is nice and symbolic and all that. And I just think that with the slant that it has, it looks better off-center.

MNS1.png

MNS2.png

MNS3.png

It seems like just yesterday I was posting Philadelphia concepts, but in reality, it was of course over 35 years between the City of Brotherly Love's two NHL franchises. The Flyers' jumpers may pay a bit of homage to the Quakers', as far as vertical stripes, but they're very much their own, dropping the sash and opting for thicker stripes and no trace of white to be found anywhere. (And if anything, the "homage" would be the other way around, since I actually designed this one first!) I just thought it was a very bold look that really said "Flyers" quite strongly, so I went with it!

PHI1.png

PHI2.png

I think with the North Stars that you should make the stripes form an N. It looks good as of now, but that could make it better.

Hmmm, I'll give that a try. Picturing it in my head, I can see it either working really well, or not at all, and there's only one way to find out! It seems to have been just a slow couple days in general on the boards, as far as comments go, so I figure I'll just go ahead with my next concept and see what happens.

I used the basic idea of the Bombers' sash by putting the striping on an angle, but on the whole, I just set out to create a relatively simple jersey that was true to the Dons' identity while not borrowing too heavily. (In general, I find that it's simply more fun for me to only use one or two key aspects of the teams' original jumpers/jerseys, and then fill in the rest with ideas from my own head.) I changed the stripes from triple-red to red-black-red for the white jersey just to keep the balance between the two colors.

ESS.png

Maybe it seems more in line with the Steelers than the Penguins, but here's what I came up with for them. Vegas gold is quite possibly the dumbest thing in the world, so that's out and yellow is back in. I made black the main color and used the yellow as just a slight accent color because I felt it upped the "intimidation factor," which just seemed to work for me. The throwback uses the color template from their Winter Classic jerseys, with the small amount of yellow thrown in for good measure.

PIT1.png

PIT2.png

PIT3.png

The St. Louis Blues' two-tone blue seemed to me that it would make for a good yoke design, so that's the direction I went, and I liked how it came out.. The yellow works well for them as an accent color now, so I saw now reason not to use it here either.

STL1.png

STL2.png

Quakers secondary: not sure if it was your intention or not, but it reminds me of what is probably my favorite non-VFL/AFL jumper: the 1950s Acton-Queanbeyan Combine (that one was basically a Collingwood-Richmond lovechild)

North Stars: The arrow generally won't make much sense unless it has a star to point at. Try to work the star into the primary. If you can't, give the big N a shot

Essendon: this one I find myself liking a lot. I can actually see where you were going here.

Flyers: I know one thing, a couple times, I've released footy sets for Philly's six colleges, and I decided to go rather basic for St. Joe's Joseph's home, black and maroon hoops, which I thought would be well received. That one was one of the few concepts I've had people call boring, compared to the away jumper, which got a lot of love. I'm sure I'm not really making much of a point, except that this Flyers set is a bit underwhelming, though I'm not sure what you could do to improve it, and you'd already used WCE's design for them, otherwise I'd suggest it for the Flyers.

Pens: ah, subtlety. Maybe you coulda gone with a penguin stripe in the middle, though then you might be accused of copying my Pennsylvania Origin jumper, but pinstripes work pretty well too. Like the double blue stripes on the throwback, but I'd get rid of the yellow pinstriping, unless you mean it as a clash of sorts.

Blues: understatement of the year: I'm glad this bears no resemblance to Carlton. Not sure the navy number on royal works though, I'd have gone with gold numbers.

Seals: I have absolutely no idea how to describe this. Maybe I will tomorrow, I dunno.

2016cubscreamsig.png

As a Rugby League fan living in Sydney, I am obliged to hate this series... but I don't, I love it!

It's amazing how well some of these work, considering the different shapes / traditions of the jerseys between the two sports. I think the Hockey designs are more cool, if for nothing else, than to see you go a bit wild with the AFL team's branding/style (given AFL guernseys are pretty conservative generally and rarely change).

Oh, and maybe the Minny North Stars alternate could work as the Australia jersey for International Rules play!

Thanks for the feedback, Discrim and Digs! I'll go back and take another look at the North Stars, see what I can come up with. I don't know what else to do for the Flyers either, at least off the top of my head, but if/when inspiration strikes I'll revise it; 'til then, I guess they'll stay slightly underwhelming. And I agree 100% about changing the color of the numbers on the Blues jerseys, too, I'll make that update shortly.

I struggled greatly with my Saints, mostly because I just don't think their logo works very well as a chest logo at all. I went through several different concepts that utilized wordmarks, and wasn't terribly happy with any of them, until I finally decided to give the logo a try after all and just eliminate the motto banner. This is what I ultimately came up with, and while there's probably room for improvement and I'm very open to suggestions, believe me when I say it's miles better than what I had earlier! I went a little wild and just had some fun with the white jersey's shoulders, so let me know if it's a hit or a miss.

STK1.png

Alright, first you go all early 90s Senators on us...then the white takes that and goes Ottawa 67s on the shoulders. *golf clap*

2016cubscreamsig.png

Haha, thanks for the golf clap! A couple updates, and I'll see if I can't get a little bit more feedback before posting the next set of new concepts.

Went somewhat back to the drawing board for the North Stars. The alternate is staying as it is, because I'm happy with that, but I dropped the arrow idea for the main set, and instead came up with, well... this! It's a little wild (no pun intended), but it's definitely original and different.

MNS1-1.png

MNS2-1.png

And just the previously mentioned number-color change for the Blues' secondary. Nothing groundbreaking here, but it's still a change that was made.

STL2-1.png

My Sabres set is pretty uncomplicated: The focus of the primary jumper is really on the chest logo, as I decided to make them one of the few teams in the league to have one. The secondary just came from me trying things until something worked. I couldn't just reverse the colors of the primary, since yellow has only ever been a part of the Sabres' identity as an accent color, and I couldn't make the blue into white and the yellow into blue, because that would just look plain boring. So blue-with-yellow-trim stripes is where I ended up. I think it preserves the simple and classic look of the primary jumper while being functional in a clash situation.

BUF1.png

BUF2.png

I wouldn't say the Canucks designed themselves, but I sure didn't have to think long and hard about what to do! I think the set pretty much speaks for itself, and the throwback... it just had to be done, too good of an opportunity to pass up.

VAN1.png

VAN2.png

VAN3.png

Sabres: the clash is a rather interesting look...I can't shake the feeling you could've done better with the home though, maybe a racing stripe or that old Richmond jumper with the single hoop (if there weren't so many sashed jumpers here already, I'd suggest one, but them's the breaks)...as it stands, the home is so okay it's average.

Canucks: can't say I'm surprised, but hey, when it works, it works.

2016cubscreamsig.png

The Sydney Swans started out their life as South Melbourne before eventually relocating. Unfortunately, I don't have a South Melbourne concept; maybe I will one day, but I had trouble finding a logo that would work as a crest for a hockey jersey. For the Sydney iteration of the franchise, however, I have this:

SYD-1.png

• 1 month later...

Next up: The North Melbourne Kangaroos. The decision to go with the Rangers-style diagonal text was made partly because I just couldn't find a suitable image of a logo that I was able to work with. The current logo has too many gradients and white spaces, not to mention it's holding a football, which I would prefer to avoid, and the old kangaroo silhouette seems only to exist in blue, and I'd need a white version for the dark jersey. Technicalities aside, though, I do think it works for them and looks good, otherwise I would have of course come up with a different solution. I think at least one team in the league is allowed to go the logo-less route, and North is it! I went with "North Melbourne" instead of "Kangaroos" because after the whole potential-relocation hoopla and changing their name to "just Kangaroos" for a bit, I decided it would be good for the team to go to the other extreme, emphasize their location, and reassure their fans that they're there to stay.

As for the jersey design, I tried to keep a hint of their vertical stripes: Obviously, the sides are white, and when the arms are at the player's side, it creates something of a multiple-vertical-stripe effect. I did add the silver from their current logo because I needed an accent color, but I'm thinking about getting rid of it in the socks, or at least redoing the socks in some way, because I'm not as happy as I could be with them.

NM.png

I've also got an updated Carlton set. The black is gone, and the blue is navy-er, since that was the color of the blue CFC logo that I found, and it was easier for me to change the background color behind the white logo, plus it's just a better color that's closer to their actual Aussie rules jumpers. The white/blue section on the arms are larger, mostly out of necessity, since without a black outline, I had to ensure that double-digit arm numbers would stay within the colored area. But I think it looks better to enlarge those colored areas, as well, especially with the elimination of the black.

CARL1.png

CLIPPERS, COLLINGWOOD, PATRIOTS, RED SOX, VIC BUSHRANGERS, MELBOURNE STORM, MELBOURNE STARS, IU HOOSIERS

>STRAYA<

just saying for north melbourne, they are actually called that now since 2007, they were called the kangaroos from 1999-2006 so yeh just my two cents for where you said they arent called north melbourne at the moment. and in 2006 the power used this jumper (on the bottom) http://www.aflcentral.com.au/userimages/user1839_1161653506.jpg which is the only other port jumper that i can think of that has grey and i like how on the clash hockey jersey for the saints you went a bit heritage the the stripes, anyways, when are you doing an oilers geurnsey? would love to see an adaption, oh and sorry for reposting the jerseys just before i was trying to figure out how to respond :P

CLIPPERS, COLLINGWOOD, PATRIOTS, RED SOX, VIC BUSHRANGERS, MELBOURNE STORM, MELBOURNE STARS, IU HOOSIERS

>STRAYA<

Archived