2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

FYP.

Ok, full disclosure...I'm as shocked as anyone that the dreadful Saints D came up big when they had to. And the Saints were more than lucky at the end when Ryan overthrew Roddy. And I sure never thought the Falcons' effort would end with a drop by Tony Gonzalez on a pass that hit right between the 8s.

But I'll take it. :D

Should be a fantastic rematch on TNF 11/29.

Care to comment on today's game, Hedley?

It's a little disheartening that the Falcons had numerous goal-to-go plays inside the 2-yard line and couldn't push it into the end zone, especially against the worst defense in the league. The game was right there for the taking. The Saints made the plays when it mattered most.

Agreed, but I also recognize that Sean Weatherspoon, arguably Atlanta's best defender, did not play, nor did Julio Jones for much of the game. So I'll really be impressed if the Saints can win in Atlanta.

One thing that baffled me was how Dunta Robinson just gave up at the Falcons' 10 after Ivory punched him in the face at the 15. It looked like he could have caught Ivory from behind or at least dove for his legs. Asante Samuel also gave a pretty pathetic effort on that play. Love the comment from the NFL Network GameDay crew on the stiffarm highlight: "This is a restraining order right here. You gotta put a restraining order on him." B)

Also love the little things on this play, like Devery Henderson (#19) blowing up John Abraham (#55), the hustle by Eric Olsen (#69), who gets a block on a Falcons LB downfield and then gets Samuel at the goal line, and Joseph Morgan (#13) being smart enough not to risk a block-in-the-back call at the end.

ivory-td-11-11-12.gif

ivory-stiff-arm-11-11-12.gif

I'll never understand why the Saints left Ivory on the bench for the entire first half of the season.

Saints go to Oakland next week, then have SF at home and Atlanta on TNF. They'd better not look past the Raiders 'cause that's when ugly season-ending surprises can happen.

In any case, the Saints have left their fans in a situation where anything good that happens is gravy. So...

Sweet. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That bottom .gif raises a question I've long wondered about: how (or why, rather) is that not an infraction? I mean sure, ballcarriers stuff gloves into defenders' grills all the time—LaDainian Tomlinson made an art and a science out of it—but out of fairness, why does the NFL allow that contact to the face to be legal while penalizing any other hands to the face, even if incidental? Just something I've long been curious about.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Bears better hope Cutler's concussion isn't overly bad.

Jason Campbell isn't qualified to work in a Walmart, let alone the NFL as a quarterback. Judging by his pass selection late in that game, the guy's a complete idiot.

He is still better then Hanie and McCown, right?

Apparently not.

25yzwqg.png

Remember that Jason Garrett's career HC record is now at 17-16. Plus today PHL earned six first downs via DAL penalties.

Today, Rob Ryan's defense caused two turnovers, both which were TDs, both on Nick Folk. Prior to today, they only caused eight turnovers through eight games. Typical Rob Ryan (check OAK and CLE)... yards are down, points are down, but the team still loses.

Ogletree went from a #3 WR who looked great covered by a #5DB in week 1 to the reason why he has not been able to crack the first team. In four years, he has not made the switch.

That said, Bruce Carter was a value pick last year in the 2nd round even with him sitting out last year with the ACL injury.

But, remember that Ryan was coaching on the Raiders and Browns... On both teams, his defenses' were far superior than the offenses during his tenure in Oakland and Cleveland.

I think it's time for the Cowboys to cut Ogletree. He's had ample opportunity to show that he's the team's No. 3 WR and failed miserably. I'd give Harris, Beasley and Holmes (in that order) opportunities to be the No. 3 WR.

Bruce Carter is a beast. The game against the Falcons last week, he had his coming out party. The play that impressed me the most against Atlanta was when he chased down Julio Jones. There aren't too many starting NFL linebackers that can catch a NFL WR.

If the Cowboys can keep Anthony Spencer long term, I'd argue that the Cowboys have the NFL's best starting linebacking corps.

EDIT: Chiefs just got screwed out of a touchdown by the officials with a bogus holding penalty.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Bears better hope Cutler's concussion isn't overly bad.

Jason Campbell isn't qualified to work in a Walmart, let alone the NFL as a quarterback. Judging by his pass selection late in that game, the guy's a complete idiot.

He is still better then Hanie and McCown, right?

Apparently not.

I don't understand how the bears can run like 3 stories about how "we are so much better prepared at the backup position than last season" then resign McCown. But personally, I am happy to have him back (rather have Cutler but I like McCown)

Boy, do the Steelers sure get their fair share of calls going their way.

They do at that.

Although the Chiefs aren't helping any. That nonsense group touchdown celebration earned the flag, even though they ended up not getting the touchdown.

Still, Kansas City is playing a lot harder than I expected. I thought this would be a blowout, but man was I wrong.

Of course the Steelers play down to the competition and escape with a win. Seems like they do this at least two or three times each season.

However, Pittsburgh is in deep manure so long as Byron Leftwich is filling in for Big Ben. (What happened to Batch and Dixon?)

6uXNWAo.png

Gotta feel for Cassel. He looked like he was on his way to be being a solid NFL QB, Matt Schaub esque. He has the talent around him, just nothing is clicking. Owed so much money too which really hurts the Chiefs.

If they pick first, they probably take Matt Barkley, but I don't know if he'll be a solution right away or will take a few years to develop.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Roethlisberger knocked out of the game, and the Chiefs don't give a damn!

chefdance_medium.gif

Well, that sure is a special sack dance. :blink:

Frankly, all the dancing and posing and other assorted "look at me" BS is really getting tiresome. Guys on teams trailing by 20 points catch a pass for a first down and get up and do a big exaggerated first down signal and so on. Ridiculous. Two Saints that are over the top with that stuff are Lance Moore and Jimmy Graham. Knock it off, guys. You're paid to make those plays.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I went to bed with the Chiefs up 10-0. Woke up surprised, but only because the Steelers didn't win by more.

So the Steelers had a controversial call go their way? That's new and every game for the last 42 years.

Unpopular opinion: I like when the Chiefs go all-white. It reminds me of growing up in the 90's when the Chiefs were always good and always lost in the playoffs.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Wait, how can you get flagged for an unsportsmanlike celebration if there wasn't a touchdown? I mean, without the successful achievement to be celebrated, semantically speaking, it cannot be a celebration. It's just, I dunno, generally being a spaz, and there's no penalty on the books for generally being a spaz.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived