2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

But what does he represent that has people all hot-and-bothered?

He has also allied himself, in the past, with some very scummy people.

His friends work very hard to deny the civil rights of our fellow citizens, and it's only right that Tebow ought to feel some heat from that.

I think that is a perfectly legitimate reason why someone would hate Tebow. And he should feel some heat for that.

However, I don't think that's why the majority are anti-Tebow.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what does he represent that has people all hot-and-bothered? Is it really just the Jesus thing?

Perhaps people are agitated that he's touted as some sort of "savior" (if you'll pardon the phrasing), but if that's the case then why not be agitated at other superstar players that are touted as winners as well?

I believe in separation of church and sport.

Oh hey remember the time the Broncos won a huge game simply because Marion Barber was a colossal idiot? all he does is win!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why is Tebow such a lightning rod? I see why guys like T.O. and Chad Johnson are but Tebow? It's just weird, and I mean on both sides, those who idolize him and those who despise him.

Because he owes his superstar status not to his abilities but to the fact that he's an outspoken evangelical Christian. Given that most evangelicals fall somewhere between "benignly creepy" and "overtly hateful monsters," the backlash is obvious.

So what do we make of his run in Denver and his playoff win last year? Yeah, he's a nut, but to my eyes, he's also semi-decent at winning football games.

THIS right here, is exactly why I hate Tim Tebow. Denver's playoff run had so little to do with Tebow actually being a good quarterback that it went along the lines of them making the playoffs despite having him as their quarterback. Denver's success had almost completely to do with the fact that their defense played so far over their heads that they weren't in the same atmosphere as their actual ability. It also helped that teams they played stacked nine or even ten guys in the box in the thought that Tebow was actually a clone of Rick Allen. I'm usually not one to take credit away from someone, but this guy is simply impossible to defend. His success was a perfect whirlwind of incredible good fortune, a defense that fired on all cylinders at the perfect time, and some downright abysmal coaching decisions that should've sent many members of the opposing coaching staffs to the unemployment line.

As a Broncos fan that wanted Tebow gone regardless of whether or not Peyton Manning was the man stepping in to replace him, I will give him a little bit of credit. The defense playing above their head seemed to had a little to do with the fact that they seemed to believe that if they could just keep the game close and give the offense a chance to win the game late, they'd have a shot at winning the football game. The defense seemed somewhat inspired by the kid, to be honest. The offense, though... painful to watch and he was the reason.

Thank goodness the talents of Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker aren't being wasted anymore -- I'd have much rather have seen Brady Quinn get a shot over Tebow. Tebowmania was a fun ride while it lasted, but it was never because Tebow is a "winner" -- luck had everything to do with it. The onside kick against Miami, Marion Barber running out of bounds, and others. Matt Prater having a huge leg had a little to do with the Bears game as well.

IUe6Hvh.png

But what does he represent that has people all hot-and-bothered? Is it really just the Jesus thing?

It's the Bible-thumping, but also the fact that he really just isn't even close to being as talented as advertised. I get that "Tebowmania" was a fun story for a while, but it's time to move on and accept that he indeed isn't God's gift to quarterbacking.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

People vilified Kurt Warner's wife instead. And anyway, the circumstances were completely different. Warner was the out-of-nowhere journeyman winner. Tebow was the high-draft pick golden boy. One was lucky to make a team, the other is supposed to save a franchise. Those expectations change how we look at people.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't remember Kurt Warner being as vilified for frequently expressing his religious beliefs.

But Kurt Warner didn't throw like a girl, either.....

Multitudes of black guys also get free passes for thanking their lord and savior Jesus Christ for, I dunno, making timely free throws or successfully blocking a defensive lineman or whatever. There are all kinds of segregational and paternalistic aspects to that, most of which is beyond the purview of this conversation.

Warner's Christianity was just an adjunct to his unusual career arc. It defines Tebow completely. It could just be a social media thing, but I never noticed evangelicals who like one of 31 other teams putting their primary allegiances aside to root for Kurt Warner on the basis of his faith. They do that for Tebow.

Warner's Christianity was just an adjunct to his unusual career arc. It defines Tebow completely. It could just be a social media thing, but I never noticed evangelicals who like one of 31 other teams putting their primary allegiances aside to root for Kurt Warner on the basis of his faith. They do that for Tebow.

Can't say I noticed many of those folks at Ram fan conventions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't remember Kurt Warner being as vilified for frequently expressing his religious beliefs.

Multitudes of black guys also get free passes for thanking their lord and savior Jesus Christ for, I dunno, making timely free throws or successfully blocking a defensive lineman or whatever. There are all kinds of segregational and paternalistic aspects to that, most of which is beyond the purview of this conversation.

Ok...I've seen you make several of these types of posts here in recent days, so now I'm gonna ask: 1) what exactly does a guy's race have to do with thanking their Lord and Savior, and 2) why did you feel the need to specifically mention black people here? I'm starting to notice a pattern here, so I'll let you explain yourself on that one.

Back to the Tebow stuff...the simple fact of the matter is that religion is a highly divisive topic, and a lightning rod for controversy. Kurt Warner got some heat...so did Jon Kitna, Reggie White, shoot...even Deion Sanders felt a little bit of it. True, they all felt it to varying degrees, but they felt it nonetheless. Now in my own personal opinion, well before Tebow ever made it to the NFL, and even aside from his devout faith, there were people who "hated" or "couldn't stand" him simply because the sports media kept shoving him into our faces while he was at Florida--the fact that the Gators were so successful with him there only amplified that exposure (and we all know how people tend to be annoyed by, or "hate", certain athletes due to being so overexposed because their team's a perennial winner--look no further than Tom Brady for a perfect example). THEN you add the religious aspect to it, and the whole thing just blows through the roof.

I do wonder, however, how/why so many people, including several of y'all up in here, seem to get so riled up/in arms about someone you ain't related to and can't, or at least shouldn't, directly affect the quality of your life--and if he does, a) you're paying way too much attention to the guy, attention that could be better spent on oneself, and 2) you may wanna reevaluate the quality of your life, because something's out of balance. Many may say many things about Tebow, but the one thing no one can say (even though I'm sure someone will come behind me and try to say anyway) is that he isn't grounded in his faith. It's said that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything, so even if you don't agree with Tebow's religious beliefs, faiths, alliances, or decisions regarding any of those, at least give him credit for that much. There's a lot of people in this world who can stand to learn something about that--being strong and grounded in one's faith, that is, whatever that may be. It just completely dumbfounds me, however, that so many peopleseem to get so twisted out of shape about the guy--again, someone they (y'all) ain't even related to nor do they (y'all) even associate with on a daily basis. But I think that says more about those people (and some of y'all) than it does about HIM...just a thought.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

He also didn't answer every other question in a press conference starting with "I want to thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ" either.

When they beat the Jets in Denver on a Thursday night last year and he was being interviewed after the game he went off on a tangent about something along the lines of being able to help children in the Philippines (which is fine and all) but it has zero to do with winning that nights game. He shoves it down your throat. Warner didn't to my recollection.

On edit: In other words, it's a lot more in your face over and over than just a simple "thank god" or whatever after a big win or something.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I do wonder, however, how/why so many people, including several of y'all up in here, seem to get so riled up/in arms about someone you ain't related to and can't, or at least shouldn't, directly affect the quality of your life

Ah, but there's the rub.

I couldn't care less about the personal faith of athletes. But Tebow's faith does impact the lives of others when he lends his celebrity to groups trying to revoke the civil rights of other Americans. Last week notwithstanding, those groups do pose a very real and very serious risk to the quality of life of many people, including friends of mine.

That's where the line is crossed, and that's what sets Tebow apart from Warner and so many other athletes in my mind.

People vilified Kurt Warner's wife instead. And anyway, the circumstances were completely different. Warner was the out-of-nowhere journeyman winner. Tebow was the high-draft pick golden boy. One was lucky to make a team, the other is supposed to save a franchise. Those expectations change how we look at people.

Yeah, but she had it coming. She looked like the Cookie Monster.....

Ok...I've seen you make several of these types of posts here in recent days, so now I'm gonna ask: 1) what exactly does a guy's race have to do with thanking their Lord and Savior, and 2) why did you feel the need to specifically mention black people here? I'm starting to notice a pattern here, so I'll let you explain yourself on that one.

Well, there's an obvious racial dynamic to the whole thing. We still worship separately, for the most part, and white people think they're speaking out of turn to criticize an entity as unknown as the black church can be. White athlete says "I just want to thank Jesus, I couldn't have done it without him," and it gets eye-rolls from part of the population; black athlete says the same thing and it's more or less shrugged off. No one goes after them with the same zeal. I'm not asking that they do. It just is. Some things just are. It's like how people kind of pull their punches on the black church when it comes to their opposition of gay marriage. They don't get the same treatment that white evangelicals get for being on the wrong side of things because it's seen as a sort of trespassing. Stuff's complicated.

Even if that really existed, I think you're drawing a false equivalency in some of this.

Sure, there are some black churches that oppose marriage equality. Sometimes strenuously. But I'm not aware of those black churches spending tens of millions of dollars to prevent marriage equality from passing, the way that (largely white) Catholic groups did. So that's where the rubber meets the road, and those actively working to eliminate civil rights will always deserve more heat than other groups. Just like Warner gets a pass, where Tebow gets criticized.

Second, I think you're drawing a racial component to this issue that doesn't really exist. Here in New York, we have a Hispanic state senator (Democratic) who is 100% pure retrograde on this issue. Nobody's spared him grief because of his race, he gets lambasted for the bigot he is.

It also has to do with the fact that, for most of African American history the black church was the centre of life and the single aspect of black society where blacks had anything close to real agency in their lives. Blacks were able to become community leaders through the church. They could gain access to higher education through the church that they might otherwise not have access to. So the black church, in a lot of ways, became the forefront of the Civil Rights movement. Martin Luther King Jr. being a reverend is most obvious example of this. What's one of the leading African American civil rights organizations in the US? The Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

As such the black church, in the minds of white Americans, is seen as "off limits," because it's seen as an entity of extreme cultural importance to the black community. You criticize the Catholic Church for promoting homophobic policies? You're just criticizing a church. You criticize a black church for promoting homophobic policies? Now you're on dangerous ground because you're attacking an institution that played a vital role in the Civil Rights movement.

All I think admiral is saying is that this attitude trickles down into sports. A white guy professes his faith on game day and it's either seen as a bit quirky (Warner) or annoying (Tebow) because it's just his religion, and isn't he silly for bringing it into football? A black guy professes his faith on game day and no one says anything because, again, it's seen as taboo to criticize anything remotely connected to the black church. It's not just his religion, it's viewed as a vital part of his people's cultural heritage.

I'm not saying either attitude is right or wrong, or that either one needs to change. I'm a white Jew from Canada after all. I've read up and studied these kinds of issues, but at the end of the day I'm just an outsider in almost every sense of the word on this topic. I'm just explaining what I see happening.

What's the Tebow equivalent to "Cleve-jacked"?

"Tebowed" makes the most sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9FKMG3Nc

Oh, not that sleaze. Change the channel. The only thing worse is Stephen "A." Smith, and the only thing worse than that is when they pretend to have an augment between them.

That's why ESPN can't be taken seriously. Well, that and Cowherd.

Archived