2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm, interesting. Has there ever been an untimed play at the end of the 1st quarter before. That couldve been another goof by the replacement refs.

It was an absolute brain fart, and an embarrassing one at that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

R.I.P. Steve Van Burned

http://www.philly.co...dies_at_91.html

Kind of a shame I think this isn't a bigger deal because this guy is of one of the greatest running backs in NFL history and is still the greatest running back in Eagles history bar none. His 18 TD's in a seson stood as the Eagles all time record for most TD's in a season until LeSean McCoy broke it last year. Guy led the NFL in rushing yards and TD's four times in his career, was a seven time all-pro and a two time NFL champion and has one of the greatest stories in NFL history in regards to the 1948 NFL Championship game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d80498bf1/Top-Ten-Weather-Games-1948-NFL-Championship

??

Steve Van Buren.

Agreed about the lack of recognition for him though.

It's because that story is a damned lie... how could he score a touchdown in the 1948 NFL Championship Game when the NFL wasn't even around for another 18 years?!

:P

Hmmmm, interesting. Has there ever been an untimed play at the end of the 1st quarter before. That couldve been another goof by the replacement refs.

These 'brain farts' are becoming to common then they should be this preseason. Hope they get the regular refs back on board the the start of the regular season.

I am primarily watching NFLN, but if the incident occurred during CHI@NYG, yes, it could occur.

At the election of the opponent, a period may be extended for one untimed down, if any of the following occurs during a down during which time in the period expires:

Scenario A: If there is a foul by the defensive team that is accepted, the offensive team may choose to extend the period by an untimed down after enforcement of the penalty. If the first or third period is not so extended, any accepted penalty is enforced before the start of the succeeding period.

Scenario B: If there is a foul by the offense, there shall be no extension of the period. If the foul occurs on the last play of the half, a score by the offense is not counted.

However, the period may be extended for an untimed down, upon the request of the defense, if the offensive team?s foul is for:

1- illegal touching of a kick;

Note: The period may also be extended for a ?First Touching? violation.

2- fair-catch interference;

3- a palpably unfair act;

4- a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct foul committed prior to an interception of a forward

pass or the recovery of a backward pass or fumble; or

5- a foul by the kicking team prior to a player of the receiving team securing possession of the ball

during a down in which there is a safety kick, a scrimmage kick, or a free kick.

Scenario C: If a double foul occurs during the last down of either half, the period shall be extended by an untimed down.

I am primarily watching NFLN, but if the incident occurred during CHI@NYG, yes, it could occur.

At the election of the opponent, a period may be extended for one untimed down, if any of the following occurs during a down during which time in the period expires:

Scenario A: If there is a foul by the defensive team that is accepted, the offensive team may choose to extend the period by an untimed down after enforcement of the penalty. If the first or third period is not so extended, any accepted penalty is enforced before the start of the succeeding period.

Scenario B: If there is a foul by the offense, there shall be no extension of the period. If the foul occurs on the last play of the half, a score by the offense is not counted.

However, the period may be extended for an untimed down, upon the request of the defense, if the offensive team?s foul is for:

1- illegal touching of a kick;

Note: The period may also be extended for a ?First Touching? violation.

2- fair-catch interference;

3- a palpably unfair act;

4- a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct foul committed prior to an interception of a forward

pass or the recovery of a backward pass or fumble; or

5- a foul by the kicking team prior to a player of the receiving team securing possession of the ball

during a down in which there is a safety kick, a scrimmage kick, or a free kick.

Scenario C: If a double foul occurs during the last down of either half, the period shall be extended by an untimed down.

Whether this call was right or not, the fact remains the replacements have been a massive fail. As people, I feel bad for them; can you imagine being called to suddenly practice your craft at the premiere level of a profession? "Hey guys, U2 can't make it tonight, can your garage band fill in at Philips Arena?"

With that said, I think the NFL is playing with fire if they go to the regular season with these people. Think about it: they've expanded replay several times over the last few years, which indicates they understand that even the real refs need support to get the calls right. Now they want us to believe they can play with these replacements and not affect the integrity of the game? Like the replacement players in the past, this has the potential to make NFL games a laughingstock and really turn off a huge segment of the fan population.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I done missed something here...where the real refs at??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On strike over money.

They're in a really good position to negotiate as well because when you bring in replacement refs it shows just how good the full time NFL refs really are. Its not something anyone can just get out there and do. And pretty much all of them have full time jobs, so they have other ways making money in the meantime. Guys like Ed Hochuli are not hurting for money by going on strike.

On strike Locked out over money.

They're in a really good position to negotiate as well because when you bring in replacement refs it shows just how good the full time NFL refs really are. Its not something anyone can just get out there and do. And pretty much all of them have full time jobs, so they have other ways making money in the meantime. Guys like Ed Hochuli are not hurting for money by going on strike.

FYP. The league locked 'em out...just like they did the players.

And Hochuli is probably getting in some extra time at the gym. :D

Buc, just one example of this mess was in the Jags-Saints game...ball went so far over the receiver's head that a defender dived to try and intercept it and he was about 6 yards behind the receiver. Another defender jumped up with the receiver and brushed against him at worst. They called PI...on the defender 6 yards downfield who was trying to catch the ball. They called another PI on a ball that landed 10 yards past the receiver and at least 3 yards out of bounds. Guess they didn't get briefed on that uncatchable pass bit.

Either way. Point is because they have full time jobs they have the ability to hold out for a long time.

I just bring up Hochuli because his real job is being a lawyer and he's a damn good one to. He has his own practice and I want to say he's argued at least one case before the Supreme Court.

Either way. Point is because they have full time jobs they have the ability to hold out for a long time.

I just bring up Hochuli because his real job is being a lawyer and he's a damn good one to. He has his own practice and I want to say he's argued at least one case before the Supreme Court.

Just because Hochuli is an attorney, four other 2011 head referee were self-employed (Carey, Green, Coleman, Steratore), and one is a retired dentist (Anderson), that has zero bearing on the earning power of the other officials the NFL hires. White Hat, Tony Corrente is a high school teacher and Ron Winter is professor at Western Michigan. Their professions vary.

That made matters worse was that the group of retired officials, who were the trainers for new officials, were not retained as part of the lockout. It was 22 Super Bowl assignments between nine men.

If you are old enough to remember or had the chance to attend a clinic with them working, you may remember the names: Jerry Markbreit ®, Red Cashion ®, Jim Quirk (U), Ben Montgomery (LG), Sid Semon (HL), Dean Look (SJ), Ben Bochtan (U), and Tom Fincken (SJ). They were replaced by other NFL officiating employees who may know how to perform the job, but have less teaching experience.

Just because Hochuli is an attorney, four other 2011 head referee were self-employed (Carey, Green, Coleman, Steratore), and one is a retired dentist (Anderson), that has zero bearing on the earning power of the other officials the NFL hires. White Hat, Tony Corrente is a high school teacher and Ron Winter is professor at Western Michigan. Their professions vary.

That made matters worse was that the group of retired officials, who were the trainers for new officials, were not retained as part of the lockout. It was 22 Super Bowl assignments between nine men.

If you are old enough to remember or had the chance to attend a clinic with them working, you may remember the names: Jerry Markbreit ®, Red Cashion ®, Jim Quirk (U), Ben Montgomery (LG), Sid Semon (HL), Dean Look (SJ), Ben Bochtan (U), and Tom Fincken (SJ). They were replaced by other NFL officiating employees who may know how to perform the job, but have less teaching experience.

Not that it matters, but I read they refused to train the replacements. No surprise there and I don't blame them.

Stafford injured his non-throwing hand on another uncalled late hit after 2 late hits last week. Good to know he still doesn't get the same protection from the zebras that an elite QB should.

Kluwe just said what we were all thinking. I watched most of that game last night, it was laughable. If they're still around by Week 1. Let the laughs begin, more than they already are.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'd tell you but...I just don't have a kluwe.

:P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived