2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favre went 12-4 with 4,200 yards and 33 TD in the season before injury ended his career in 2010. He was a top QB right til the end.

Not really. 4 out of his last 6 seasons in the league were mediocre or worse, and had only thrown single digit interceptions only once in his career. And his last year in 2010, he was a joke with 11 TDs and 19 picks in 13 games. Not to mention how many games the old gunslinger had blown with his turnovers and subpar play.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Tavaris Jackson will be taking his talents to Buffalo.

http://espn.go.com/n...arvaris-jackson

Is Russell Wilson really as good as people are raving about? I thought it was a pretty forgone conclusion that Matt Flynn was going to be the starter in Seattle this year, and Wilson seems to have just run him out of camp.

Have you been watching the preseason at all? He's been tearing up the competition. Seattle is going to be good this year, and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they won the NFC West (though I'll be more realistically hoping for a wild card).

No I haven't been watching preseason football because I have zero interest in watching teams hold tackle scrimmages, which is why I ask.

Well, to put it bluntly, Russell Wilson has been dominant. I would be shocked if he's not the starter.

I'm stunned Russell Wilson fell as far as he did. IMO, he was probably the second best QB available in the draft, and the second most NFL ready QB as well.

At Wisconsin, I immediately noticed his poise in the pocket. He never gets rattled. He's athletic, but not over-reliant on taking off running. Last year he broke an NCAA record for pass efficiency. Now he's in the NFL, so the game's going to speed up and he's going to take some lumps. I'll give him this, though: he did everything he could to make Carroll make a decision. He's intelligent (he came to Wisconsin in July and picked up the offense in a real hurry), rigorous at preparation and commands respect just by being who he is (he was named captain in camp for his one year at UW). The biggest knock is that he is 5'11". And that hurts. If he was 6'4" he probably would never have even messed around with trying to make it in MLB because he'd be right up there with Andrew Luck as a "can't miss.".

That said, I don't know if it's the right move. Flynn took huge advantage of his opportunities in real NFL games and he's been backing up superstars, which is of value. But I guess you trust the guy that works 25 hour days coaching the team; Wilson went out and took a job that was supposed to go to someone else. Kudos to him. I loved his attitude last year and I hope he succeeds.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That said, I don't know if it's the right move. Flynn took huge advantage of his opportunities in real NFL games and he's been backing up superstars, which is of value. But I guess you trust the guy that works 25 hour days coaching the team; Wilson went out and took a job that was supposed to go to someone else. Kudos to him. I loved his attitude last year and I hope he succeeds.

Well Flynn was seen as the next best option after Andrew Luck and RGIII for teams looking for a new QB by many people including myself. If throw 6 TD's in a single game in the NFL that's enough for me to say somebody should give you a chance to be a starter.

Russell Wilson was just an insurance policy if Matt Flynn for whatever reason didn't work out. They only gave him a three year contract so they weren't/aren't on the hook for much if Flynn is in fact a failure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Flynn back on the market if Wilson starts the season off like a house of fire. I think teams like Arizona and KC would still interested in him as well as any team suffering a serious injury to their starting QB early on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Flynn back on the market if Wilson starts the season off like a house of fire. I think teams like Arizona and KC would still interested in him....

I'm not sure how desperate the Cards or Chiefs would be to take on a player like Flynn, seeing how both teams are currently being burned by other one-hit-wonder backups. (Kolb and Cassel)

6uXNWAo.png

I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Flynn back on the market if Wilson starts the season off like a house of fire. I think teams like Arizona and KC would still interested in him....

I'm not sure how desperate the Cards of Chiefs would be to take on a player like Flynn, seeing how both teams are currently being burned by other one-hit-wonder backups. (Kolb and Cassel)

The only two teams I heard that were interested in Flynn other then the Seahawks were the Dolphins and Browns, so it could be possible that KC and Arizona would have zero interst in Matt Flynn.

That being said those are the two worst teams in the NFL with regards to their QB situation. Neither has an established starter or somebody in wait to become the starter. They have to make a move before next season to bring somebody else in. Matt Flynn might fit that bill for one of those two teams if he became available.

Wilson's been only handed the keys for 1 week. Unlike past rookie quarterbacks, who could make mistakes and their jobs wouldn't be on the line because they were first round picks. Wilson leash is a short one, Flynn will get that job back, eventually.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Wilson's been only handed the keys for 1 week. Unlike pass rookie quarterbacks, who could make mistakes and their jobs wouldn't be on the line because they were first round picks. Wilson leash is a short one, Flynn will get that job back, eventually.

I agree with the short leash; unlike an early pick like RGIII or Luck, there is no pressure to have Wilson be the franchise. But while it's occurred to me that Flynn will eventually be the starter, don't be surprised if Wilson does not make enough rookie mistakes to make this happen. He's just so smart and poised. Then again, maybe Carroll will realize that they just cannot get the ball in the middle because of his height...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8305248/sources-buffalo-bills-agree-send-pick-seattle-seahawks-qb-tarvaris-jackson

Is Russell Wilson really as good as people are raving about? I thought it was a pretty forgone conclusion that Matt Flynn was going to be the starter in Seattle this year, and Wilson seems to have just run him out of camp.

I suspect it's more "Everyone else is that bad."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8305248/sources-buffalo-bills-agree-send-pick-seattle-seahawks-qb-tarvaris-jackson

Have you been watching the preseason at all? He's been tearing up the competition. Seattle is going to be good this year, and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they won the NFC West (though I'll be more realistically hoping for a wild card).

And the Rams will break .500

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As mentioned earlier, with the trade for Tavaris Jackson, Vince Young got cut by the Bills.

Not even good enough to back up Ryan Fitzpatrick? That's bad.

But even worse is losing out to career backup who doesn't even know the playbook yet. A totally raw Tavaris Jackson is better then a polished Vince Young is what the Bills are saying with this move.

I don't know where Vince Young can go from here. Might be time to start calling UFL teams (all four of them) because I don't think any NFL team is eager to sign him.

Wilson's been only handed the keys for 1 week. Unlike pass rookie quarterbacks, who could make mistakes and their jobs wouldn't be on the line because they were first round picks. Wilson leash is a short one, Flynn will get that job back, eventually.

I agree with the short leash; unlike an early pick like RGIII or Luck, there is no pressure to have Wilson be the franchise. But while it's occurred to me that Flynn will eventually be the starter, don't be surprised if Wilson does not make enough rookie mistakes to make this happen. He's just so smart and poised. Then again, maybe Carroll will realize that they just cannot get the ball in the middle because of his height...

Drew Brees is only an inch taller and his height doesn't seem to negatively affect his play.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

And the Rams will break .500

The Seahawks actually have an O-Line. The Rams don't.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The Seahawks actually have an O-Line. The Rams don't.

I can't see Seattle doing any better than 9-7. They don't have an easy schedule. The Seahawks have to play: Cowboys, Packers, 49ers (twice), Patriots, Jets, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit. Seattle will be lucky to get three wins against those teams.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

That's one bad contract gone.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived