2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For everything that 49ers team was on offense, the '85 Bears were on D.

That sums it up perfectly. Having seen both teams, I'd have a hard time picking one as the greatest. A good argument can be made for both. But if I had to... The '89 49ers weren't exactly slouches on defense and their offense was the best I've ever seen. The '85 Bears had the best defense...well...ever but their offense was above average at best. Because of that, I'd say the '89 49ers were the better overall team. But not by much.

BB52Big.jpg

Of course you'd rather have the lead.

But we've all seen Tom Brady in Foxboro. It was critical of Baltimore to get a TD on this past possession. The pendulum can swing back in New England's direction at any time, and it's imperative to take advantage while you can, as the opponent. They erased a 31-3 deficit against an excellent SF defense a few weeks ago, for cripes' sakes. I'm too leery to ever think about counting them out.

spacer.png

Can't wait to see all the San Francisco greats on the sidelines during Super Bowl XLVII -- scene of where the 49ers' greatest team was crowned following Super Bowl XXIV.

*NFL's greatest single season team.

The 1985 Bears strongly encourage you to reconsider that sentiment.

I see it as a dead-heat between the '89 49ers and '85 Bears. Greatest offense and greatest defense of all-time, hands down.

The '72 Dolphins don't come close to either.

True. The '72 Dolphins are well ahead of the '85 Bears and '89 49ers.

Those two teams lost games to inferior teams that are nowhere near the top of the "Best teams ever" list. The '72 Dolphins didn't.

Archived