2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scab refs just jacked up another timeout situation. Again, they were bailed out by an incompletion on the following play.

If the Seahawks would have won that game, the NFL would have had a :censored: storm on Monday.

Oh and DarkJourney Sledgehammer!!!

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Packers got outplayed, simple as that. Thursday comes quick. Also NFL needs to swallow their pride and pay the actual refs. Something as simple as making sure the people who make the game run smoothly, not getting what they want is a joke.

Agreed. The Packers didn't lose because of the refereeing, but there were some calls that were really bad, against both teams. Unfortunately, the referees seem to be the biggest storyline coming out of week 1. Not good for the NFL's negotiating leverage.

Packers got outplayed, simple as that. Thursday comes quick. Also NFL needs to swallow their pride and pay the actual refs. Something as simple as making sure the people who make the game run smoothly, not getting what they want is a joke.

Agreed. The Packers didn't lose because of the refereeing, but there were some calls that were really bad, against both teams. Unfortunately, the referees seem to be the biggest storyline coming out of week 1. Not good for the NFL's negotiating leverage.

I guess, but "[G]ames being played with or without you" is excellent for the NFL's leverage.

SF 30

GB 22

Sorry NEW ERA, infrared, etc!

It's way too early to be overly concerned, but I really hope what we saw from the Packers D today was just a bad day. Which leads me to my next point...

Russell Wilson just lost to the worst team in the NFC. The media can now stop knobbing him to death. Thank you.

We don't know who's the best/worst anything after one week.

You could make a good case for the Eagles being the worst team in the NFC after this week. That Eagles vs Browns game might be in the top (bottom?) 5 of worst football games I've ever watched.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In watching most of the games with Sunday Ticket, it was not talked about much after the first quarter.

However, Aikman harped on it early and made it a bigger story for his game than it needed to be. The reaction shots of Jim Harbaugh trying to be a bully added to his disdain of the officiating crew.

Who in the world, when getting a touchdown after trailing 10-9 in the fourth quarter kicks the PAT to make it 16-10? C'mon, the offense sure as hell wasn't going to get any more points for you, Shurmur.

That's aggressive playcalling and therefore anathema to Pat Shurmur.

------------------------------

So anyway the Rams lost late but for some reason I'm not completely upset. Maybe it's because the loss was "last minute TD" rather than the 2-3 TD blowout loss I was anticipating. Heartening for the future, assuming the offensive line isn't too catastrophically decimated.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I guess, but "[G]ames being played with or without you" is excellent for the NFL's leverage.

I guess, but I'd think that the NFL would prefer ESPN to spend the next few days talking about those games bring played as opposed to the horrible officiating. Idiot Blowhard Skip Bayless? is going to have a field day.

I noticed RG3 has the III portion on his name plate. Has anyone seen something like that before? Normally they just out the last name. I can't rember another player that had the Jr or numeric portion of the name on his name plate.

Lions receiver Titus Young just recently had a kid named Titus, and now he has 'YOUNG SR' on the back of his jersey. I have never seen it that way,

MegatronSig2.jpg

I guess, but I'd think that the NFL would prefer ESPN to spend the next few days talking about those games bring played as opposed to the horrible officiating. Idiot Blowhard Skip Bayless? is going to have a field day.

It will still be in the third row of the Skip Bayless television minivan for Monday and Tuesday.

Shotgun: NY Jets

Row 2: Green Bay vs. SF; something NCAA football; Peyton Manning return

Row 3: RG III; Officials (?); Strausburg

Other possible passengers: Yankees, Rookie QBs, Serena Williams/Tiger Woods/Rory McIlroy weekend performance

Depends on what show your watching. I think you have to at least mention it if your going to be completely fair. It has been an issue.

But with First Take, yeah its going to be THE story. But watching First Take for football analysis is like watching The Last Samurai to learn about Japanese culture and history.

If you think Skiptroll's going to spend any significant portion of his blather slot on anything other than how Tim Tebow's 5 carries for 11 yards against the Bills changed the complexion of the game and made the Jets' win possible, you haven't been paying attention. Well, maybe he'll whittle the Tebow coverage down a bit if a black athlete gets in some variety of alleged trouble between now and tomorrow morning.

Shotgun: NY Jets

Christ, if only.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Incase you missed the 2nd half of tonight's game.....

PEYTON IS BACK!

He looked good not great, although granted the Broncos didn't have the ball a whole lot in the game and we're seeing him at game speed for the first time in over a year working in a brand new offense.

I think even the most jaded Bronco fan would be happy with the performance he had tonight. If this is the type of team the Broncos are going to be, they will be legitimate Super Bowl contenders. I don't see a real weakness in this team if Manning can play like that 9 times out of 10.

I don't know if I would call them a sleeper, but I don't think they've been given as much respect as they should be getting. This is a playoff team from last year who just picked up one of the 10 greatest QB's in NFL history who still looks like he can play at a very high level. And the biggest weakenss that team had from last year was throwing the ball.

About the refs...I wouldn't post this had both game announcers not commented on it because I haven't even hit "Add Reply" and your cries of "Homer!" are already in my head. But Roman Harper got called for a ball-breaking PI yesterday. Now let me say straight out, the Saints played so poorly this probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, and I'm well aware that pass coverage is not Mr. Harper's forte and he has had his share of legit PIs through the years.

But this time the poor bastard actually played good defense and the call couldn't have been bigger in terms of momentum. It was the first drive of the 3rd quarter; the 'Skins led 20-14 and had 4th and 1 at the Saint 33. Griffin rolled out and, under pressure, lofted a prayer into the end zone. Harper played it well and it fell incomplete but out came the flag. Watching the replay, the announcers (Daryl Johnston and whoever he's paired with) both said, "I don't see pass interference there." One play later Washington led 27-14.

A stop there may - or, in fairness, may not have - turned the tide in the Saints' favor, and we'll never know if a "real" NFL ref would've made the call. And again, it was just one of many, many, stupid Saints plays or just plain unlucky instances that led to the Saints' loss. But if you saw it or have a chance to, please post your opinion: PI or no PI?

It may help me feel at least a bit better about one of the worst Saints outings I've seen in many years. :cursing:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived