2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus he ruined the coolness of Super Bowl logos.

He voted for Hubert Humphrey and killed Jesus

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Peter King:

A deal, however, is not imminent, according to one official who got an email from NFL Referees Association negotiator Scott Green early this afternoon. "He said we're making progress but not close to a deal right now,'' the official said.

King's piece uploaded at 2:12 Eastern

LaCanfora says that no agreement has been reached. Jay Glazer is not working today (Yom Kippur).

I'm curious to see the final numbers. Based on the timing and subsequent pressure, I have to wonder if the NFL totally withdrew their stance and cowed.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Looks like a catch for Seattle to me. Look at this angle.

Still, bring them back.

The front angle shows plain as day that Jennings is the first person to have control of the ball. The fact that Tate may or may not have gotten equal control as the play went on is irrelevant. Jennings had it first, and thus the ball (should have) belonged to him.

Still, bring them back.

The front angle shows plain as day that Jennings is the first person to have control of the ball. The fact that Tate may or may not have gotten equal control as the play went on is irrelevant. Jennings had it first, and thus the ball (should have) belonged to him.

I disagree. The first angle shows the defender bringing it in first but the WR arm got there before he maintained possession. I see simultaneous possession.

EDIT: They both have the ball at the 24 sec mark. Defender never had the ball possessed with two feet down when Tate got in there. From there, dont matter how they have it. If both have it in any way it is a catch for the O.

Still, bring them back.

I disagree. The first angle shows the defender bringing it in first but the WR arm got there before he maintained possession. I see simultaneous possession.

EDIT: They both have the ball at the 24 sec mark. Defender never had the ball possessed with two feet down when Tate got in there. From there, dont matter how they have it. If both have it in any way it is a catch for the O.

You don't really understand what "simultaneous" means, do you?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Still, bring them back.

You don't really understand what "simultaneous" means, do you?

...or "possession."

Still, bring them back.

I disagree. The first angle shows the defender bringing it in first but the WR arm got there before he maintained possession. I see simultaneous possession what I want to see.

FYP. The rear angle is misleading because you can't see what's happening until they're on the ground. If there was any question about this call, the uproar would've been limited to Packer fans and a few people who also happened to see it their way. When the evidence is so clear and the outrage more or less universal, and it includes many people who have been involved in NFL football for a lot of years, well, that speaks for itself.

What bothers me as much is that it doesn't take a dramatic game-ending call like this to cost a team a game. Momentum is a huge part of any sport, and how many teams have been derailed by screwed up calls that just weren't at the same critical point of the game? These refs have cost other teams games, just not in such an obvious way.

It will be interesting though once the regular refs return to see the reaction when the inevitable bad call comes along.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Still, bring them back.

As soon as Tate released the ball with his right arm to attempt to re-gain possession, he lost it and Jennings ended up maintaining possession. Plus Tate never had the ball clutched to his chest like Jennings did.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

It's important to understand the way the rules are worded. The term "possession" is not used. They used "control" and "catch". And they are NOT used on the same level.

The way the rules are worded, a player is able to control the ball before he completes a catch. So while you can argue that Jennings and Tate might have completed the catch at the same time, there is no arguing who had first control of the ball. That was obviously Jennings when he leapt and had both hands solidly around the ball. Because he never lost control, the ball should have been his.

I can SOMEWHAT understand how a ref might have called it wrong as he analyzed who's hands the ball was in on the ground. Not really, but somewhat. What I can't understand is missing the obvious initial control of Jennings on the instant replay review.

Archived