Penn State considering uniform overhaul

kajeet

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really. A red and blue domino will totally make me forget about the crap that was sold in the box featuring... a red and blue domino.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Firstar Bank reaped themselves such a terrible reputation that they took over US Bank, then moved their headquarters from Milwaukee to Minneapolis... where US Bank had been based... and took on US Bank's corporate name and identity.

I'm trying to think of commercial companies that have gone through major scandals or had their reputation tarnished nearly to an irrepairable point (like a car company that became known for a big flop or safety recall or just for being crappy, or a financial company embroiled in scandals like we saw early in the century, etc.) just to look at which ones came back with a whole new look / brand, and which ones stayed the course. I'm kind of drawing a blank right now, but I'm probably going to think more about this.

Firstar Bank reaped themselves such a terrible reputation that they took over US Bank, then moved their headquarters from Milwaukee to Minneapolis... where US Bank had been based... and took on US Bank's corporate name and identity.

Like when Wachovia took over Wells Fargo but used the Wells Fargo name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not to stay off track and go too old school, but the Baby Bells were broken up, some changed names eventually (Illinois Bell to Ameritech) and SBC (Southwestern Bell) got so big it gobbled a bunch of them up and ate its former parent company, but kept the name AT&T.

No matter what their unchanging ways originally represented, the drawback of having your program and identity so closely asociated with one man for such a long time is that if that man falls, however unlikely... you almost need to change it. They have taken steps... I think they need to go further. Your opinion may vary.

I think part of the 'rebranding', if you will, of Penn State would be to start referring to themselves as PSU. at the very least, it couldn't hurt.

If they're not going to put the oval lion on the helmet (could it be argued that it to is tainted by all of this?) then a nice modern yet clean "PSU" logo would be the best best, I think. The keystone/S logo that was floating around is good too, but I really like the "switch to the PSU name over Penn State" idea, and the keystone/S logo just wouldn't do that. At least not how it currently exists.

I think part of the 'rebranding', if you will, of Penn State would be to start referring to themselves as PSU. at the very least, it couldn't hurt.

If they're not going to put the oval lion on the helmet (could it be argued that it to is tainted by all of this?) then a nice modern yet clean "PSU" logo would be the best best, I think. The keystone/S logo that was floating around is good too, but I really like the "switch to the PSU name over Penn State" idea, and the keystone/S logo just wouldn't do that. At least not how it currently exists.

I think the oval-lion with PSU over in it in block letters, LSU-style, would look very nice.

That would be nice. My only concern is that it would be to LSU-like. Block(ish) letters over a logo depicting a large cat and all. It's a great look, so ultimately I wouldn't mind if that's what they went with, but I could see why some would be hesitant about it.

My idea was simply PSU in the "tennis ball" font they had used for a while.

That would be nice. My only concern is that it would be to LSU-like. Block(ish) letters over a logo depicting a large cat and all. It's a great look, so ultimately I wouldn't mind if that's what they went with, but I could see why some would be hesitant about it.

That's a fair point, but it's not as if it'd be the first time that teams had similar helmet logos. NC State and Stanford seem to get along just fine with block S's on both of their helmets.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

And Dominos pizza just got a new logo and name.

They did?

I guess if you consider dropping "Pizza" from the official name, they did. New logo on the right.

dominos-logo.jpg

But what was the scandal they were trying to dodge?

Holy crap! The one on the left was a domino? :shocked:

I feel dumb now.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

And Dominos pizza just got a new logo and name.

They did?

I guess if you consider dropping "Pizza" from the official name, they did. New logo on the right.

dominos-logo.jpg

But what was the scandal they were trying to dodge?

Holy crap! The one on the left was a domino? :shocked:

I feel dumb now.

Seriously? Wow. I'd think that'd be pretty obvious! :lol:

Archived