Penn State considering uniform overhaul

kajeet

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now that Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and Iowa have thrown tradition out the window, I see no reason that Penn State "needs" to keep theirs, especially in light of what that tradition represents now. Change it up. No better time than now. The less status quo the better, for the sake of those fans that are still in denial.

they should be forced to wear their current uniforms as long as they are on probation as a matter of punishment/shame/reminder of what not to do

+1

penn state is lucky to have a football team now. worry about football and new uniforms in a few years. after reading what penn state fans have been saying, they need time to come to reality.

Well, now that Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and Iowa have thrown tradition out the window, I see no reason that Penn State "needs" to keep theirs, especially in light of what that tradition represents now. Change it up. No better time than now. The less status quo the better, for the sake of those fans that are still in denial.

traditions are for people in nursing homes to argue about.

You're talking about pro-combat right because none of those teams have changed their regular uniforms since St Paul was a boy.

I think this would look pretty good on a helmet.

AhC0jwUCMAAsA7S.jpg

My (big) problem with this is wondering if the S stands for Sandusky.

You'd be the only one in the entire universe that is wondering that. If you're being serious, you're an idiot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

None of those schools have abandoned their traditions full-time. Michigan wore their alternates a handful of times last year, Ohio State has done Pro Combats once a season, Nebraska's uniform is scheduled to be worn once and Iowa's will probably be worn once as well. In all, tradition persists.

I expect that whatever we see at Penn State won't be too drastic. That keystone logo would be perfect on the helmet. Also, bring back the contrasting trim on the jerseys. I don't know why they ever got rid of it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I need to ignore a lot of the comments in here, no need to get into an argument.

But anyway, I'm a lifelong fan, I have a lot of family who have gone or are currently going to penn state....this includes some ties to those in the know up there (boosters) and this is what I've heard.

Changes this year will most likely the addition of numbers to the helmet, putting names on the back of the jersey, and maybe going with white cleats(only heard that once). If you think that last one is no big deal, you are wrong. Black Shoes(cleats) are all joe, he wore his black Nikes every game, so ditching them would be purely to purge even more of Joe's existence at the school. And seeing as that's the goal of this change it'd add a lot to that.

Then in the 2013 season we would shift to a more detailed redesign from Nike. 2013 will be the more official start to the Obrien era, because we have a 4/5 star laden class coming in....all who amazingly are still committed and say they are coming anyway. This change would also be subtle, but would be a modern uniform. Also a pro combat will happen, Either one that uses our Original Colors (pink and black) or just a crazy design from Nike,. It's been tossed around by some that they might do one that incorporates a lighter blue for child abuse, and that 100% of the proceeds from replicas, shirts, and game-worn items would go to charity for it. Nike did apparently come up with a Pink/black Uni for us a couple years ago but we turned tit down....I always wish I could see what the heck it looked like....even though I have no interest in us ever wearing it.

Now for my opinion I think we've lost enough in the NCAAs attempt to quell the masses bloodlust who just wanted to see Penn State burn, without giving much thought to justice, the repercussions, or the innocent parties (players,Fans,coaches,alumni, professors, the State College community.....to name a few) so I refuse to throw out our history as well, just to appease those who couldn't care less about the college or the team. I refuse to burn the last bridge to our history of great players, who were willing to be more than that , just because people say we have to. Franco Harris, Jack Ham, John Cappelletti, Curt Warner, Michael Robinson etc etc etc. they are the ones who wore the jersey, no one else, and I prefer to stay tied to them.

I've never thought as the uniforms as untouchable, I love the helmet, but numbers would be a more than ok addition. Some simple stripes wouldn't kill anything on the bland pants/jersey. And I get how symbolic the switch to white shoes would be.. I just don't want to lose anything else, I'm still hoping that someone comes to their senses and says 'Oh wait why are we punishing an entire university and people tied to it for the sick actions of one man, and the lack of action by a small group of others. And besides we have no authority here anyway.'' which obviously will never happen.

Now a Uni change isn't punishment to us fans really, most of us would be disappointed, but in the end I think it'd be more disrespectful to the victims to slap up a fresh coat of paint and pretend that a man who committed most of his life of setting the standard in College-athletics never existed than to just keep our same uniforms.

psu.png

+1 and a white version as well.

I get that designs like this look cool from the side, and even the front. But the way the two logos would connect in the back would look very awkward. The Seahawks are one of the only teams that have a logo that would make a design like this work all the way around.

I assumed it would just be a one sided logo like Boise State's.

I'd like to see them switch to a striping pattern like the basketball team uses:

gyi0063913573.jpg

Please no. I agree with you about adding a striping of some sort, but for whatever reason I have always loathed Penn State basketball jerseys. The striping always comes across as perfunctory and purposeless.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

If I was in charge, I'd send out discrete instructions to Nike to re-imagine Penn state in 1965. Go back to the root and start over when JoePa became head coach. You keep a traditional look, but erase his years from the visual product. Don't spell it out, but let it be implied. I'd hate to see them in some garish modern get ups which are probably taking their last gasps anyways.

With the way (some of) the alumni have acted to the news of the Paterno statue coming down and the sanctions, this might not be wise. I think there might actually be a riot if they changed the uniforms. "It's not what JoPa wanted!"

Good. Let them show their true colors so the rest of us can mock them for it.

Also a pro combat will happen, Either one that uses our Original Colors (pink and black) or just a crazy design from Nike,.

Nike did apparently come up with a Pink/black Uni for us a couple years ago but we turned tit down....I always wish I could see what the heck it looked like....even though I have no interest in us ever wearing it.

Penn State's original colors are pink and black?

Time for some mockups!

Disagree. Nike could come up with a classy modern uniform for Penn State by taking the same approach that Under Armour did with Northwestern - taking inspiration from history and the campus.

I'm pretty much with this too. Modernize by looking to the campus and to the past.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

]Penn State's original colors are pink and black?

Time for some mockups!

Ha Yea they were over a century ago, I'm surprisd I've never seen a mockup for it to be honest. Here is the story behind the change if you're interested.

Blue and White

Penn State's student-athletes are instantly identified by their blue and white uniforms - but those weren't the original school colors. A three-member committee representing the sophomore, junior and senior classes was appointed in October of 1887 to develop color options from which the student body would select the school's official colors. Dark pink and black was the unanimous choice of the student body after considering the color combinations presented by the committee.

Soon many students and the baseball team were sporting pink and black striped blazers and caps. However, problems arose when the pink faded to white after several weeks of exposure to the sun. The students then opted for blue, rather than black, and white. The official announcement of the new choice was made on March 18, 1890.

Disagree. Nike could come up with a classy modern uniform for Penn State by taking the same approach that Under Armour did with Northwestern - taking inspiration from history and the campus.

I'm pretty much with this too. Modernize by looking to the campus and to the past.

Looking to the campus is often useless as 90% of college campuses fall into the same few looks, architecturally. Lots of colleges have stone blocks, bricks, ivy, this and that, which is why it's not a very good design element on Northwestern's uniform. You'd have to find something that's truly unique to the school.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived