Penn State considering uniform overhaul

kajeet

You people who find humor in child abuse are extremely sick and perverted.

I don't find humor in the situation, at all!

I was just pointing out similarities in a logo aimed at children and logo aimed at satirizing the abuse of children, nothing else.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New name

Wait, what?

Pennsylvania State

Not sure if you're joking or not, but that's already the name of the University...

And I saw an interesting tweet yesterday:

Ben Jones@Ben_Jones88

Interesting stat. Despite its iconic stature, Penn State's uniforms have changed on average once every 7 years since 1905.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm guessing they changed often back in the early 1900's... Unless they count changing uniform templates as changing uniforms or something like that.

90758391980.gif

And I saw an interesting tweet yesterday:

Ben Jones@Ben_Jones88

Interesting stat. Despite its iconic stature, Penn State's uniforms have changed on average once every 7 years since 1905.

Can anyone confirm?

Lets see - I kind of remember watching games going back to say 1972; Penn State would show up on TV at least once or twice a season, plus they usually made it to a bowl game. They've had a bunch of minor tweaks in those 40 years - like numbers coming off the helmet sides, changing to navy facemasks, addition of a contrasting collar, addition of contrasting cuffs, and finally removal of those contrasting collar and cuffs just last year.

To get to "changes every 7 years" they have to be talking about template things (like metallic vs. matte fabric pants, etc.) Frankly I think that their change to a contrasting collar could have been something done by their supplier when they went to the fishnet jerseys, not something that Penn State asked for as a design change.

It says since 1905. They probably just changed they're uniforms every couple of years way back which wasn't uncommon at all.

And I saw the similarity in that kids logo as well. It's probably not modeled if him, but that wouldn't be the first time a cartoon logo was based off a real person. If they were going dir that, though, they probably would have just used Joe Pa's face.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Strictly as a logo / uniform enthusiast, I think it sucks that they're making changes. We need teams with uniforms like Penn State, just like we need Oregon. There will still be Alabama, but even they've worn alts in the past few years. Not sure who would take Penn State's place at the far right of the uniform political spectrum.

Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, maybe? Have they made a lot of changes?

I agree with your point about needing both ends of the spectrum (a point I've made with baseball uniforms in particular when jousting with Lights Out), but every last trapping of the "Success With Honor" era needs to be nuked.

Unless they've changed something in the past year or two, Goergia Southern does still exist. :P

You're demanding far too much of someone who has watched three college football games in his life.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New name

Wait, what?

Pennsylvania State

but that's already the name of the University...

Oh, you think? I meant that they sports teams could go by that.

Ask Pitt(sburgh) how well that usually turns out.

It's tough to gauge minor tweaks. Nebraska has made very slight modifications to their sets over the years, but it's gradual enough you don't notice it.

I guess this is more of a philosophical question, but where is the line between Penn State changing a cuff color and Oregon going from Packers-esque Old School to Functionally Retarded Sharpie Highlighters?

What's considered a full scale "change" and what's merely a tweak or update?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

It's tough to gauge minor tweaks. Nebraska has made very slight modifications to their sets over the years, but it's gradual enough you don't notice it.

I guess this is more of a philosophical question, but where is the line between Penn State changing a cuff color and Oregon going from Packers-esque Old School to Functionally Retarded Sharpie Highlighters?

What's considered a full scale "change" and what's merely a tweak or update?

How many miles did you walk each way to school?

Just slap this sucker on a White helmet and call it good:

PennState_YMK01a_2008-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

(Nobody panic. This is a Youth Mark.)

sandusky.jpeg

Maybe it's just me who sees the similarity.

What year did that debut? They may very well have crafted that character's facial structure after Sandusky in homage to him prior to being disgraced.

Seriously? Seriously? Come on, man. That's crazy, some of y'all mofos are just grasping at straws now.

Seriously, you don't see it?

87Redskins.png

I think a formal change to Pennsylvania State University for sports would be a nice way for a new beginning. But that's from someone thousands of miles away with no connection whatsoever to the college.

We should be known as tPSU...the Pennsylvania State University. That is the technical name of the school. The Ohio State isn't the only one.

I think a formal change to Pennsylvania State University for sports would be a nice way for a new beginning. But that's from someone thousands of miles away with no connection whatsoever to the college.

Even if they did make that the "official" name, nobody would call it that. Nobody calls the academic side of things "Pennsylvania State" either.

Even if they did make that the "official" name, nobody would call it that. Nobody calls the academic side of things "Pennsylvania State" either.

True. Still many people out there saying Pitt instead of Pittsburgh.

sandusky.jpeg

What year did that debut? They may very well have crafted that character's facial structure after Sandusky in homage to him prior to being disgraced.

Seriously? Seriously? Come on, man. That's crazy, some of y'all mofos are just grasping at straws now.

There's nothing similar about the lion and Sandusky. You want to see something that isn't there.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

sandusky.jpeg

There's nothing similar about the lion and Sandusky. You want to see something that isn't there.

I actually thought the same thing when I saw this yesterday...the eyes and teeth are eerily similar...very creepy

Well Alabama wears that houndstooth alt

They only wore it once during the 2010 season.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived