Official mlb logo changes for 2003

sj32

I've received my MLB Opening Day press kit and figured I would pass on the official logo changes for 2003.  This is stuff we've pretty much known for months, but it's a good summary as opening day approaches.

Chicago White Sox:  will wear a 2003 All-Star Game patch on the right sleeve of their uniforms.  This is the logo that does not mention Comiskey Park (since that is now U.S. Cellular field  :P ).  The MLB's release also does not mention the fate of the Comiskey Park patch that the Sox wore on their left sleeve.  Considering the All-Star patch is being worn on the right, I would think there will be a patch on the left.

Toronto Blue Jays:  have changed their primary logo to the "T-Bird" (the logo on their BP caps and alternate caps from last season).  The bird head over the Maple Leaf logo is officially dead.

Florida Marlins:  will wear a "10th anniversary" patch on the right sleeve of their jerseys.  In addition, the Marlins' home jerseys will have black pinstripes, replacing the teal pinstripes they have had since the franchise's inception.

Philadelphia Phillies:  will wear a commemorative patch honoring 31 years of Veterans Stadium.  The release does not say where on the uniform this patch will be worn, but I would assume that they are keeping the numbers on the left sleeve and that the patch will be worn on the right.

Texas Rangers:  have changed their primary logo to the somewhat maligned on this board Expos-esque Texas "T" in front of a baseball surrounded by "Texas Rangers" in white against a red and blue background.

Cincinnati Reds:  will wear a commemorative patch for the inaugural season of Great American Ball Park.  The release does not specify which sleeve the patch will go on, but the Reds merchandise catalog I received in the mail today shows the patch on the left sleeve of the Reds' new alternate uniform.  I would assume that they will go on the left sleeve of the t-shirts worn with the Reds' home and road unis.

Among the things the release did not address were uniform changes other than noting that the Marlins have gone to black pinstripes.  Off the top of my head, Arizona has ditched the purple alternate, Cleveland has lightened their navy blue and shrank the size of Chief Wahoo on their caps, Toronto has replaced instances of their old logo with their new logo on caps and uniform sleeves.  Cincinnati has a new alternate uniform (red with white/black/white piping around the neck, down the front and on the sleeves.  The logo is a white wishbone "C" with a black drop shadow - no "REDS" in the "C").  I still have not seen anything about the Yankees altering their road uniform and the release does not mention anything about a "100th Anniversary" patch for the Yankees.

Many of you already know this, but I can confirm that the Marlins' new home uniforms (in addition to the black pinstripes) also have the patch from their caps on the other sleeve and the lettering is also black instead of teal. Their spring training home down here was already selling those and the BPs. No sign of the new roads, though, which also got a complete overhaul. I can tell you from seeing the pants at spring road games that the road color will still be the green-gray they've always used.

After stopping by the team store at the Marlins' second game, I have to correct my earlier statement. The green-gray on the roads is gone and has been replaced by the more traditional baseball gray. The old and new road jerseys were side-by-side and it was plain to see. It was also obvious that the Marlins must have been wearing their old road pants during spring training, because they still had the teal and white stripes down the side, which are now replaced with simple black piping. For what it's worth...

Archived