What is the right reason and amount of teams to root for?

RoughRiders99

MLB - Marlins

NFL - Patriots

I picked my teams in 1993. The Marlins because they were new, and the Patriots because I didn't want to bandwagon.

Personally, I don't get rooting for more than on team in a sport. I tried rooting for the Panther when they came into the league... but I never could commit to it. It felt like giving up on the Pats.

As for what reasons are right... I don't think it matters, so long as you stick with your team. If you started rooting for the Red Sox in 2004, that's fine... just as long as you keep rooting for them in 2014, 2024, 2034, etc.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB - Marlins

NFL - Patriots

I picked my teams in 1993. The Marlins because they were new, and the Patriots because I didn't want to bandwagon.

Personally, I don't get rooting for more than on team in a sport. I tried rooting for the Panther when they came into the league... but I never could commit to it. It felt like giving up on the Pats.

As for what reasons are right... I don't think it matters, so long as you stick with your team. If you started rooting for the Red Sox in 2004, that's fine... just as long as you keep rooting for them in 2014, 2024, 2034, etc.

Oh the irony

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 5 weeks later...

For college sports, you should never have more than one team if you attend a Division 1 school. I grew up liking UNC basketball and FSU football, but I go to FSU now, so I got rid of all my UNC stuff except for t-shirts to work out in.

For professional sports, you should always support your hometown team. If there is no hometown team, the closest proximity team is more than acceptable, as is whatever team your parents have rooted for.

I'm an FSU fan because I go to FSU. I'm a Jags fan because I'm from Jacksonville. I root for the Cowboys because my dad grew up rooting for the Cowboys due to his family in Texas. I'm a Braves fan because they're almost as close as Tampa (I can't stand Tampa) and because my dad and I both grew up watching Braves games on TV. I'm a Magic fan because Orlando is only about 2 1/2 hours from Jax, but I'm an extremely casual NBA watcher in general, so I don't know if I'd say I'm really a fan. I like the Bruins in the NHL because, well, let's face it, hockey shouldn't really be played in a state where temperatures are typically in the 50's in the middle of winter, plus I hate Tampa and Miami.

As per the question, the right amount of teams to root for: typically, one per sport. However, if you can justify rooting for more than one, whether it be location or family history, go for it. But you should never root for more than three (that's stretching it), and they absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, unarguably, CANNOT BE RIVALS IN ANY WAY. So, no Jags/Dolphins, Yankees/Mets, Lakers/Celtics, Gators/Hurricanes, etc.

k0n60Gj.png

floridastateseminoles_sig1.png

But you should never root for more than three (that's stretching it), and they absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, unarguably, CANNOT BE RIVALS IN ANY WAY. So, no Jags/Dolphins, Yankees/Mets, Lakers/Celtics, Gators/Hurricanes, etc.

I find it funny that the in every "rivalry" you listed, there's a better example of a rivalry using one of those same teams.

Dolphins/Pats

Yankees/Red Sox

Lakers/Clippers or Spurs (OK, this is a little bit of a stretch, but I would say its more accurate currently...)

Florida/Georgia or FSU

For me, I'm a quirky situation where I went to an university that didn't have a football team until after I graduated (UTSA), and ended up at a university that DOES have one (USC). So it's odd that even though my undergraduate now has a football team, USC is technically the first that I ever was to able to root for.

NOW, this gets MORE confusing because for years and years and years, I grew up as a Texas A&M fan because of my grandfather and, frankly, thought that I would always end up there. But, long story short, there was a hiccup with the application so I still rooted for them when I was at UTSA.

So...I'm a born-and-raised Aggie, a post-grad Roadrunners fan, and a current Trojan.

GR30a5H.png

NBA - Knicks (this is my #1 since the mid to late 90's and I have stuck with them since. )

MLB - Yankees (My neighborhood was 95% Yankees fans as with my friends.)

Soccer - USA ( My country)

NHL - Rangers (Since they play in the same arena as the Knicks, and the Isles are going to Barclay's, I instinctively want to root for MSG's team.)

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived