College Football or the NFL?

I used to be obsessed with the NFL but lately it seems I've found myself looking forward to college football more (could be directly correlated to the Redskins being terrible and my alma mater being pretty decent, but that's besides the point). I'm curious how you all feel.

Do you prefer the NFL or college football?

90758391980.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always have and always will be college football. It has nothing to do with the fact I am a Brown's fan and have only seen them in the playoffs once but more to do with the fact I love the college game and find it more enjoyable. I would even throw high school football above the NFL on my list and the only reason it isn't above college is because o its lack of coverage

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

College tops the NFL in terms of the experience, fan engagement, and pure emotion. The NFL is a business, so while it's great to pull for your hometown team, you have no actual connection like you do with a college team. Admit it, you spent some of the most fun years of your life pulling for the school you attended and is now your alma mater. The NFL is still enjoyable, but comes nowhere close to the college experience.

College tops the NFL in terms of the experience, fan engagement, and pure emotion. The NFL is a business, so while it's great to pull for your hometown team, you have no actual connection like you do with a college team. Admit it, you spent some of the most fun years of your life pulling for the school you attended and is now your alma mater. The NFL is still enjoyable, but comes nowhere close to the college experience.

Yeah, I agree with this. When watching WVU play it was cool knowing those were my peers playing. They ate the same crappy dorm food as me. Dealt with the same traffic. Dealt with the PRT. They actually chose to go to WVU.

The Redskins players, yeah they'll say the right things, say they love playing for the Skins. But in reality they just love the Skins because the Skins sign their checks.

90758391980.gif

NFL.

Probably because I didn't go to a school that had college football and my parents didn't go to college at all. So I wasn't raised in a household that cared about it at all. I get why college is better for many people, but without a team that is really "mine" I just can't get super excited for my in-laws team (Cal), which is the only college football team I even root for peripherally.

College Football. I sure like NFL, but in college the emotions run higher, you have rivalries that last decades and decades, players seem to try harder too. One of the key aspects is also that you can move conferences, but you can't move teams. That's why teams like WVU and Maryland, Florida and FSU, and Georgia and Georgia Tech play every year. I also prefer college football, because there's more games on TV, and I like to see teams I've never really heard much about. For example, a small school conference like the MAC gets a game broadcasted on ESPN every Wednesday during conference play. I really enjoy this, because the fans really put a lot of heart into those games, and get fired up that their team is on ESPN. Lastly, I also love to see all the different stadiums. I'm really interested in stadium design, and love to check out how the stadiums are structured, such as if they're a boring old bowl shape, or if they have a track, how big they are, etc. Overall, college football is just more intriguing than the NFL.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

College Football has the traditon, excitement, and speeches that the NFL hasn't been able to capture.

Every Packers fan ever disagrees :D

I prefer the NFL because of the Packers, but if my school had football, it'd probably be about even for me.

Easily college football and I don't think it is even close for me.

If the NFL went on strike for a few seasons, it honestly wouldn't bother me a lot. If college football did the same, I would die a little inside.

College. I like the idea of 120 teams competing to win it all instead of just. 32.

You very well may, but the number of D1A teams eligible for a national championship is quite a bit smaller than the NFL's 32.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

College. I like the idea of 120 teams competing to win it all instead of just. 32.

You very well may, but the number of D1A teams eligible for a national championship is quite a bit smaller than the NFL's 32.

Yes I know but anything could be possible. Of course a team like UL-Monroe or Florida International never have a chance but you could have a team start 50 something in the Preseason 120, have a tough schedule, win all there conference games, and get into a good bowl game. Also it seems like there is an new up and coming team every year which also makes things interesting. For instance Boise State kind of came out of no where and now are a premiere college football team. And you never see the same team twice in the same season in college.

mcbqza.jpg

The NFL is honest about what it is: a professional sports organization dedicated to making money for its owners and, secondarily, its players.

College football is the same thing, except its facade is fundamentally dishonest and its players aren't treated fairly. The game is okay, but "college football" as an institution is the worst.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yes I know but anything could be possible. Of course a team like UL-Monroe or Florida International never have a chance but you could have a team start 50 something in the Preseason 120, have a tough schedule, win all there conference games, and get into a good bowl game.

But then they're not "competing to win it all," they're competing to play in the Western States Heritage Bowl and not necessarily lose to a seventh-place team from a power conference. You just ate your own argument.

For instance Boise State kind of came out of no where and now are a premiere college football team.

No, they're a mid-major pretending to be as much as the system allows them to be because their philosophy department isn't accomplished enough to play football with Stanford.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NFL is honest about what it is: a professional sports organization dedicated to making money for its owners and, secondarily, its players.

College football is the same thing, except its facade is fundamentally dishonest and its players aren't treated fairly. The game is okay, but "college football" as an institution is the worst.

That's what's driven me from the sport. Just too many morally questionable things I have to either agree with or look past in order to get into college football.

There's plenty of things the NFL does I don't like, but I don't feel like the players are being extorted. And there aren't teams who are already eliminated from playing in the Super Bowl before the season even starts. (Well maybe the Vikings this year.) But college football is the only sport I know of where you can win all of your games and not qualify for the playoffs.

Yes I know but anything could be possible. Of course a team like UL-Monroe or Florida International never have a chance but you could have a team start 50 something in the Preseason 120, have a tough schedule, win all there conference games, and get into a good bowl game.

But then they're not "competing to win it all," they're competing to play in the Western States Heritage Bowl and not necessarily lose to a seventh-place team from a power conference. You just ate your own argument.

For instance Boise State kind of came out of no where and now are a premiere college football team.

No, they're a mid-major pretending to be as much as the system allows them to be because their philosophy department isn't accomplished enough to play football with Stanford.

You still compete to win it all. I don't think a college football team goes into a season with a goal of making it to a lousy bowl game. They go in trying to win it all or at least get as close as they can to that. And how is Boise State not a premiere college team. They are a consistent threat to crack the top 5 in the rankings every year. Even though they are mid-major, they are better than half of the major conference teams!

mcbqza.jpg

College Football has the traditon, excitement, and speeches that the NFL hasn't been able to capture.

Have you ever heard of NFL Films?

You still compete to win it all. I don't think a college football team goes into a season with a goal of making it to a lousy bowl game. They go in trying to win it all or at least get as close as they can to that. And how is Boise State not a premiere college team. They are a consistent threat to crack the top 5 in the rankings every year. Even though they are mid-major, they are better than half of the major conference teams!

DG_Now and admiral are correct. College football is a facade of the highest level. Teams in the MAC/Sunbelt/WAC/CUSA do not compete to "win it all". They go into Alabama/Nebraska/LSU/Georgia for a check to pay for other sports and if the matchup and the team has time to prepare is good enough, then they can compete a or win. The App. State win @ Michigan was due to a matchup, plus that win did more for the BTN than they could ever think. Boise's biggest wins are generally when they have weeks to prepare. The Fiesta Bowl win vs. OU was when they had three weeks to prepare; to beat Oregon/Virginia Tech/Georgia they also had three weeks to prepare. Yet last year they had a BYE week to fave TCU at home and lost. They had a week for the game at Nevada in 2010 and lost. In the NFL, coaches do not have the ability to "craft" their schedules.

There still is a bit of irony that posters talk about the same thing which they love about the sport, which they do not like hearing from Penn State fans in the thread on the Paterno legacy and Penn State issues.

Archived