Which past professional sports team would you bring back?

raysfan24

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Wild change their name to North Stars within the next 10 years.

Is this actually based on anything, or just wishful thinking? If they did become the North Stars, I'd have to get back into hockey.

No, just an opinion of mine based on no evidence at all except what everyone on this board says they want.

No way Dallas allows that.

And before someone mentions it, they won't/shouln't change it to "Lone Stars" either for the above reason, the fact that it's an oxymoron, and the fact that there would be no reason to change it other than just for the sake of doing so.

Who even owns the North Stars name? Is it Dallas or is it with Minnesota. I'm guessing Dallas but I could be wrong.

mcbqza.jpg

If it's not the Stars organization, it would be the league, which it turns out had been holding the Nordiques' and Jets' intellectual property after they went away (the state of Connecticut was holding the Whalers' until recently).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Wild change their name to North Stars within the next 10 years.

Is this actually based on anything, or just wishful thinking? If they did become the North Stars, I'd have to get back into hockey.

No, just an opinion of mine based on no evidence at all except what everyone on this board says they want.

And before someone mentions it, they won't/shouln't change it to "Lone Stars" either for the above reason, the fact that it's an oxymoron, and the fact that there would be no reason to change it other than just for the sake of doing so.

Who even owns the North Stars name? Is it Dallas or is it with Minnesota. I'm guessing Dallas but I could be wrong.

If it's not Dallas, it's the NHL. Even if Dallas doesn't own the name, I'm sure that Minnesota would have to ask for permission to use the name "North Stars" (For reference, the Jets had to ask Toronto for permission to use a maple leaf in their logo, and I don't see how this is much different. The one difference between them, though, is that Winnipeg using a stylized red maple leaf in the background of their logo infringes Toronto to a much lesser extent than Minnesota having "stars" in their name does to Dallas.).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

If it's not Dallas, it's the NHL. Even if Dallas doesn't own the name, I'm sure that Minnesota would have to ask for permission to use the name "North Stars" (for reference, the Jets had to ask Toronto for permission to use a maple leaf in their logo, and I don't see how this is any different).

I actually think it would be quite difficult though to even get permission to use the name. You would have two Stars teams. Of course you have the Red Sox and White Sox but it would be basically having a team called the Brown Bears and a team called the Black Bears or a team called the Devil Rays and a team called the Rays in the same league. It would get really confusing because you would have some people who would call the North Stars just the Stars and then everyone would get confused on which Stars you are actual talking about. And the Wild would actually have to change there color scheme because Dallas would not allow them to go to Kelly Green and Gold (or yellow) because it's too identical to the Dallas Stars. I think the wise choice would just be for the Wild to stay with the identity of the Wild for now.

mcbqza.jpg

If it's not Dallas, it's the NHL. Even if Dallas doesn't own the name, I'm sure that Minnesota would have to ask for permission to use the name "North Stars" (for reference, the Jets had to ask Toronto for permission to use a maple leaf in their logo, and I don't see how this is any different).

I actually think it would be quite difficult though to even get permission to use the name. You would have two Stars teams. Of course you have the Red Sox and White Sox but it would be basically having a team called the Brown Bears and a team called the Black Bears or a team called the Devil Rays and a team called the Rays in the same league. It would get really confusing because you would have some people who would call the North Stars just the Stars and then everyone would get confused on which Stars you are actual talking about. And the Wild would actually have to change there color scheme because Dallas would not allow them to go to Kelly Green and Gold (or yellow) because it's too identical to the Dallas Stars. I think the wise choice would just be for the Wild to stay with the identity of the Wild for now.

Oh no, I agree with you 100%. I edited my post before I realized that you replied; the Jets-Leafs situation is much "lesser" than the Minnesota-Dallas one.

----------

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned:

133125_Quebec-Nordiques.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Oh no, I agree with you 100%. I edited my post before I realized that you replied; the Jets-Leafs situation is much "lesser" than the Minnesota-Dallas one.

----------

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned:

133125_Quebec-Nordiques.jpg

Sorry if it sounded like it was just being directed to you. It was supposed to go to everybody that I quoted, not just at one person. Anyway back on topic, I agree with you about the Nordiques. How can you put a team in Florida or Phoenix and not put one in a city that number 1 is cold, number 2 is Canadian (where hockey is a national pastime), and 3 where people actually care about hockey.

mcbqza.jpg

Raysfan12, and Raysfan24. Suspicious.

What's also suspicious is all 3 of our names contain the word "rays". And I'm guessing we're all Rays fans.

And 2 of you are from from the Ohio-Kentucky borderlands.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Raysfan12, and Raysfan24. Suspicious.

What's also suspicious is all 3 of our names contain the word "rays". And I'm guessing we're all Rays fans.

And 2 of you are from from the Ohio-Kentucky borderlands.

We are not the same people. Trust me.

mcbqza.jpg

Just off the top of my head....

Indianapolis Racers

Minnesota Fighting Saints (as an AHL affiliate for the Wild)

Toronto Toros

Quebec Nordiques (my feeling is they will be back soon enough, after trekking through the desert long enough.)

Just off the top of my head....

Indianapolis Racers

Minnesota Fighting Saints (as an AHL affiliate for the Wild)

Toronto Toros

Quebec Nordiques (my feeling is they will be back soon enough, after trekking through the desert long enough.)

Fighting Saints would be a great identity for the Wild to take on since they actually play in Saint Paul and it avoids all the messy legal hangups with re-adopting North Stars (which I would still love to see happen regardless... screw Dallas :P )

northstars7980t251.jpg

One of the greatest-named sports teams in history.

Seconded

0% chance that happens when we already have the Dallas Stars.

Like others have said, I'd bring back the Montreal Expos. I don't think they ever really got a fair shake. If Labatt had been built and the team was playing in the today's fickle NL East, who knows where they'd be. Also, 1994! I liked the flavor of having a team in a french speaking city. Plus, their name had an X in it. Pretty rare. I miss them. I want Montreal to get another chance, but it's not gonnna happen. As far as I know, they don't even have a minor league team.

Another one: the Cincinnati Stingers. If they had made the jump to the NHL and this city had developed a culture of supporting an NHL team, who knows what would've happened. They'd probably have like 9 stanley cups by now :grin:

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived