Which past professional sports team would you bring back?

raysfan24

Lets see:

Returning teams:

Seattle SuperSonics

San Diego Clippers

Hartford Whalers

Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Raiders

Montreal Expos

Old Identities Returning:

Houston Texans -> Oilers

Minnesota Wild -> Northstars

Chivas USA -> Los Angeles Aztecs

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim -> Anaheim Angels

Washington Nationals -> Senators

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of wish the PCL had been absorbed under the MLB umbrella. Sure, we have San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Angels (sort of), but I really wish we also had San Francisco Seals, Oakland Oaks, Seattle Rainiers, and Hollywood Stars (especially the Hollywood Stars). It doesn't help that there's something inherently unsettling about a pair of California teams having names that are so tied into New York (the Dodgers more so than the Giants) in what is supposed to be an idyllic pastime in our culture.

Also, am I the only one whose noticed that the Dodgers and Giants names would make more sense if it were applied to the other team?

Yes, my wish is that the teams on the west coast would have adopted the nicknames of the old PCL teams. Those are great names. And while we're at it I'd like to see the Rockies changed to the Denver Bears. I'd also add the Montreal Expos and the Birmingham Barons to make MLB a 32-team, four 8-team division operation. And say what you will, but I think not naming them the Dallas Lone Stars was a mistake.

Agreed on all posts so far. Expos, all the former NHL teams, the Sonics. Bring them all back.

Yeah, I came here to post this exact same thing.

Also, Los Angeles Raiders. The whole "gangster" culture surrounding them was awesome, and is Oakland really a major league city still?

spacer.png

I can't decide which mystique is better for the Raiders. Oakland and Los Angeles have both fit them so well. Easy for us to say that South Central and the Raiders went well together, though. People probably got shivved at games! Really, the Raiders transcend location. They play in the hearts of every outsider, freak, screwup, washout, and Darth Vader cosplayer. aw yeah.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't decide which mystique is better for the Raiders. Oakland and Los Angeles have both fit them so well. Easy for us to say that South Central and the Raiders went well together, though. People probably got shivved at games! Really, the Raiders transcend location. They play in the hearts of every outsider, freak, screwup, washout, and Darth Vader cosplayer. aw yeah.

Indeed. People get shivved in LA, get blown away in Oakland. They've been very consistent in drawing in some of the most degenerate but dedicated fans in sports. However if there was one other thing that was consistent between LA and Oakland its that the Raiders were never great at putting butts in the seats at either location.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I like where the Raiders are right now, in the crappy Oakland Coliseum. It just fits. It would be weird to have a bunch of thug-ish fans in a brand new, beautiful, billion dollar stadium. It just wouldn't go along with the Raiders brand of blue collar, thug football. If they moved to the LA Coliseum, that would be cool too, but that would never happen.

I really wish the Rams would've never left. I probably would've grown up a Rams fan, but I don't think I could ditch the Cardinals as my NFC team if the Rams were to come back.

I don't know, I really never liked the Expos. Baseball doesn't belong in Canada IMO and they never sold out their crappy "Big Owe." Baseball in the capital is a lot better. For teams I would bring back,

Hartford Whalers

Minnesota North Stars (or Dallas Lone Stars)

Seattle SuperSonics

Brooklyn Dodgers

New York Giants

All the PCL teams

Names I don't mind

LA Angels

LA Clippers

Washington Nationals

Oakland Raiders

Houston Texans

I don't know, I really never liked the Expos. Baseball doesn't belong in Canada IMO and they never sold out their crappy "Big Owe."

Yes, they did, actually. Granted, they didn't do it often, but it's hard to with a stadium of that capacity.

Late Edit: Not that it really proves anything that they were able to fill the place (or come very close) every so often, but still.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

MLB:

Buffalo Bison

Indianapolis Blues

Louisville Colonels

MLS:

Tampa Bay Mutiny

NBA:

Pittsburgh Ironmen

St. Louis Bombers

Toronto Huskies

NFL:

Baltimore Colts

Canton Bulldogs

Providence Steam Roller

NHL:

Kansas City Scouts

Seattle Metropolitans (non-NHL)

Sorry folks, I highly doubt the North Stars name will ever come back in the forseeable future. I do believe they can be somewhat reincarnated through a "Northern Lights" rebranding though and even then, the primary identity of the North Stars we miss so much lies with the Dallas Stars, whom we all know are doing a far less than perfect job at embracing it.

Midway.png

Archived