Changes expected in Cleveland

canzman

The Browns' uniforms are so bad. Gigantic, obnoxious sleeve stripes that look horrible on any modern uniform template. A blank, orange helmet for a team named the Browns. An ugly dark shade of brown that often looks black. No more orange pants, and a new and annoying love of white at home. Their identity is a complete mess and they need to start over.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He overpaid for them so of course he is going to have to sell stadium naming rights.

Wouldn't he just name it Pilot Stadium or Flying J Field or something?

I ain't wanna be the one to say something about that...so I'm glad you did. :P

And since you did...FYI, once all the dust settles on this merger (and all the anti-trust issues are worked out), all travel centers bearing those two names will go under the Pilot name, even though the combined entity is and still will be known as Pilot Flying J.

All of which is to say...Pilot Flying J Stadium is a possible name. But I wouldn't put too much money on that actually coming to pass.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Browns' uniforms are so bad. Gigantic, obnoxious sleeve stripes that look horrible on any modern uniform template. A blank, orange helmet for a team named the Browns. An ugly dark shade of brown that often looks black. No more orange pants, and a new and annoying love of white at home. Their identity is a complete mess and they need to start over.

No they don't. The Browns are an old team in an old city and have to look the part. They certainly need to get their identity back on the rails--a truer shade of brown, some consistency with home/road sets, a tasteful primary other than the helmet--but they don't need to start over.

As I've said many times, my preference would be brown jerseys (and not the brownish black they have now) with orange pants and brown striped socks at home for a perfectly autumnal look, and white jerseys with white pants and white striped socks on the road. There was a concept about a month or so ago that culminated in some really good proposals for a Browns primary based on the helmet striping; I'd go with one of those. I'd keep the stripes. Someone has to.

I'm not terribly averse to selling the naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium if it helps a heritage franchise stop being such a doormat (though when does it ever). Pro football nomenclature in Ohio has always been a bit vexing, as it's the Bengals who play in a stadium named for Paul Brown while the team named for Paul Brown only visits once a year. Yes, I know the Bengals have just as much a claim to Paul Brown as the Browns do, but I still feel like if it can't be the Cleveland Browns who play in a place called "Paul Brown Stadium," it might as well just be called "Dan Gilbert's Comic Sans Coliseum" or whatever. I mean, it's not a particularly venerable venue, anyway. Neither is the one in Cincinnati, for that matter.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only thing I'm going to say about that is this: the franchise was named for a man, not a color, so orange helmets work perfectly fine. Orange and brown, colors of autumn...makes perfect sense, especially for that part of Ohio.

Besides...you don't see/hear nobody bitching about the GREEN Bay Packers not having GREEN helmets, now do you? Green for "Green" Bay (though it wasn't always that way, yellow for cheese :P ...again, makes perfect sense.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

this thread is going to get chaotic. let me help it get started: identity is great as it is, no major changes needed. B/ball logo is great and orange pants suck

It is so gonna be Clevejacked.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It already is.

I'd say it's likely that something about the uniforms might be changed, but don't see anything drastic happening. Haslam was interviewed dozens of times today, and one of the first questions he was repeated asked was about the uniforms. So, he admitted that he knows it a touchy subject and wouldn't do anything without input from the fans. But surprisingly it seems like most would be open to change. I will admit there are things I would like to change, but I wouldn't stray to far from tradition. I would mainly just like some consistent striping, like below. Given his Vols connection I wouldn't be surprised to see orange take a more prominent role in the uniforms. Hopefully at least bring back the pants.

ClevelandBrowns.jpg

As long as they don't have a brown facemask, I'm good. BG is proof that it doesn't work.

414b07f2b50ca01015411e8150c24a82.jpg

No they don't. The Browns are an old team in an old city and have to look the part. They certainly need to get their identity back on the rails--a truer shade of brown, some consistency with home/road sets, a tasteful primary other than the helmet--but they don't need to start over.

As I've said many times, my preference would be brown jerseys (and not the brownish black they have now) with orange pants and brown striped socks at home for a perfectly autumnal look, and white jerseys with white pants and white striped socks on the road. There was a concept about a month or so ago that culminated in some really good proposals for a Browns primary based on the helmet striping; I'd go with one of those. I'd keep the stripes. Someone has to.

I'm not terribly averse to selling the naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium if it helps a heritage franchise stop being such a doormat (though when does it ever). Pro football nomenclature in Ohio has always been a bit vexing, as it's the Bengals who play in a stadium named for Paul Brown while the team named for Paul Brown only visits once a year. Yes, I know the Bengals have just as much a claim to Paul Brown as the Browns do, but I still feel like if it can't be the Cleveland Browns who play in a place called "Paul Brown Stadium," it might as well just be called "Dan Gilbert's Comic Sans Coliseum" or whatever. I mean, it's not a particularly venerable venue, anyway. Neither is the one in Cincinnati, for that matter.

God damn the sleeve stripes are priceless. I just know that if they make a dramatic change it will make a lot of people realize how perfect and timeless their look is.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

2776820424_017ef58131_o.jpg

If Haslam were to change the uniform something to this, I would not mind. It keeps the classic stripes, but adds a modern touch with the piping on the side and also the pants stripes.

And most of all, the orange helmet stands the same.

Just curious...is there a reason Romeo is photoshopped in this picture? :P

T1oYViW.png

2776820424_017ef58131_o.jpg

If Haslam were to change the uniform something to this, I would not mind. It keeps the classic stripes, but adds a modern touch with the piping on the side and also the pants stripes.

Please Lord let this be sarcasm...

I think the orange helmet with the same stripes should stay, but I wouldn't mind seeing what HGI could do to improve it. Maybe a more metallic/chrome finish could look cool. Just not matte.

No they don't. The Browns are an old team in an old city and have to look the part.

You mean a dying city, with 3 horrible professional franchises that haven't won anything in 100 years?

The Browns uniforms are terrible. Completely out-of-date and antiquated. Synonomous with losing and drab football.

There are some teams that can pull of a "older" look. The Packers. The Bears. The Raiders. The Giants. Those are legendary, winning franchises and their uniforms still "work" today. The Browns? Nope.

S-can those sorry-ass striped socks and those goofy looking sleeve stripes. Both look like they belong with leisure suits and bell-bottoms.

Keep the helmet the way it is. The Browns have a unique identity. They are known for not having a logo on their helmet. Nobody in the NFL does that. Keep the grey facemask, even. Or go with a brown one. Doesn't really matter. Both look better then the white one they used to wear.

Modernize the rest of the uniforms. Keep the brown jersey's. Another unique feature of this team to any in the NFL. Bring back orange pants. With the exact same striping on the helmet. White pants also will have the exact same striping. Modernize the number font. White number trimmed in orange would look good on the brown jersey. Brown number trimmed in orange on the white jersey.

Go with solid brown socks with both pairs of britches. Just looks modern and clean. Black shoes.

And don't be afraid to wear a orange alternate either. Not with the drop-shadowing of the old orange alts. Same look as the brown and white jersey's.

Brown and orange can work, if you do it right. The Browns right now are a mess. Clean them up and they can look "cool" again.

Archived