Uniforms that should be thrownback

kajeet

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the blue helmet that comes nowhere close to matching the rest of the uniform and those heat pressed numbers make that one awesome set.

There's obviously some fixes to be made there, but I'm pretty sure the non-matching helmet was a relic from the days of molded plastic helmets coming in a few select colors that didn't match very well with royal blue. Teams that used royal blue (Rams, Giants, Bills) had to choose between either the bright pastel blue that the Broncos used, or navy. Neither matched, but navy was less egregious, so that was their pick.

Regardless, the general design of the uniforms was appealing, and is linked to both the franchise's first ever Super Bowl appearance (1979) and their first ever Super Bowl title (1999). In fact, they wore those white jerseys in both.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

dosent bother you the Colts are already in that whole blue and white market?

Nope. Not a bit. I look at it a lot like this guy does...

i think on this board as a whole, there needs to be less focus on if something is totally original or not, or if its a gimmick or not, and instead focus on if its appropriate and if its designed well or not.

:D

that guy is an arse, LOL

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Yeah, the blue helmet that comes nowhere close to matching the rest of the uniform and those heat pressed numbers make that one awesome set.

There's obviously some fixes to be made there, but I'm pretty sure the non-matching helmet was a relic from the days of molded plastic helmets coming in a few select colors that didn't match very well with royal blue. Teams that used royal blue (Rams, Giants, Bills) had to choose between either the bright pastel blue that the Broncos used, or navy. Neither matched, but navy was less egregious, so that was their pick.

Regardless, the general design of the uniforms was appealing, and is linked to both the franchise's first ever Super Bowl appearance (1979) and their first ever Super Bowl title (1999). In fact, they wore those white jerseys in both.

No offense, but I think the "they won with that look" logic is about the silliest argument in favor of a uniform that there is. Using the "they won with that look" logic, there is no reason (or good argument) for the Cowboys to ever change these...

c34c02a338659d80cada72119ba03a64.jpg

The Lions should wear these...

l.jpg

The Browns look pretty much exactly like they should...

275353188001_1185255881001_mike-ada.jpg

And the Eagles have some changes to make...

image-1.jpg

You get the idea. How a team performed in a uniform should have nothing to do with it. All that matters, or ever should matter, is whether or not the uniform looks good. And as we all know, what looks good is entirely subjective.

BB52Big.jpg

the minnesota north stars logos and uniforms have never been thrown back to.

i'd like to see that change for the 50th anniversary of the stars franchise (which is coming up not too long after this coming 20th season in dallas).

de343e68411347a18c86ca300ba709df965c81f7.jpg?x=318&y=400&sig=33ef35fdb9d0bf750cc1f17060a9b4a2

There's absolutely nothing cool about those '68-'80 uniforms the Bengals wore. They had ZERO sex-appeal whatsoever. They're almost as awful (but not totally) as Denver's throwbacks from 1960 that they wore in 2009 for AFL-50

Reds uniform you posted was sharp tho' ... that I will concede.

275px-AFC-1960-Uniform-NE.PNG

I'd love to see the Patriots wear those ... but the preseason version from 1960 without the number beneath the revolutionary era hat.

No offense, but I think the "they won with that look" logic is about the silliest argument in favor of a uniform that there is.

I agree with you when weighing the merits of a full-time uniform set, but for a throwback, there's no sense in throwing back to a uniform that the team did nothing but lose in. The whole point of a throwback is to bring back good memories for the fans.

Using the "they won with that look" logic, there is no reason (or good argument) for the Cowboys to ever change these...

c34c02a338659d80cada72119ba03a64.jpg

Well, technically, they also won in these classics:

dallas-cowboys-michael-irvin-59-edge-advantage-96-nfl-american-football-trading-card-46708-p.jpgdallas-cowboys-kevin-williams-157-score-95-american-football-nfl-trading-card-44731-p.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, technically, they also won in these classics:

dallas-cowboys-michael-irvin-59-edge-advantage-96-nfl-american-football-trading-card-46708-p.jpgdallas-cowboys-kevin-williams-157-score-95-american-football-nfl-trading-card-44731-p.jpg

Classics? They're hideous with 4 giant stars. Looks obnoxious and something you'd see in a football version of a Harlem Globetrotters-like circus team that tours to entertain kids.

The Jets' Kelly Green without black would be a great throwback.

Corbis-U15117-16UNI.jpg?size=67&uid=a149626a-2536-4795-bfb7-298a6449d9b8

49119_01_lg.jpg

Another one, these Giants looked better than the current:

6627.jpg

phil%20simms.jpg

Bengals:

aaa-76073.jpg

uspw_5457584.jpg

87Redskins.png

And now an actually-good Rams uniform:

nfl-rams-super_bowl_xxxiv_warner-kurt-13-white-2000-stockpic1.jpg

Does anybody know why the rams horns on the helmet didnt go all the way to the front?

At some point in the late 1970s the Rams went from painted on horns to decals on that navy blue molded shell (even the blue/white set was painted - Riddell would paint the shell white, mask off the horns, then paint it blue). The placement of the decals evolved over time from first still being under the front bumper like they were when they were painted on, to being close to the front bumper (and actually cut out to go around it) and not quite going all the way to the edge of the shell, to finally that position where they were just slapped on the helmet like above. I suppose it was done to make it easier to replace the horn decals when they got torn during the season. I also suppose it could be so they only had to order one set of decals for all helmets (which back then would have only been Riddell TK shells and Schutt Air shells); the horns may have fit closer to the edge of a Schutt shell. That photo being from January 2000 it was before all the new-style helmets like the Revolution, etc. came out.

The Rams adjusted the decal placement again when they went to the current set in 2000 to get the horns back down closer to the edge of the shell.

Any of the 70s to 89 Falcon uni's would do for me, especially over their currents.

Agreed. My favorite set is the late 80s, with the black facemask. Though the throwback set worn in '94/early 80s looked good too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived