Uniforms that should be thrownback

kajeet

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the blue helmet that comes nowhere close to matching the rest of the uniform and those heat pressed numbers make that one awesome set.

There's obviously some fixes to be made there, but I'm pretty sure the non-matching helmet was a relic from the days of molded plastic helmets coming in a few select colors that didn't match very well with royal blue. Teams that used royal blue (Rams, Giants, Bills) had to choose between either the bright pastel blue that the Broncos used, or navy. Neither matched, but navy was less egregious, so that was their pick.

Regardless, the general design of the uniforms was appealing, and is linked to both the franchise's first ever Super Bowl appearance (1979) and their first ever Super Bowl title (1999). In fact, they wore those white jerseys in both.

No offense, but I think the "they won with that look" logic is about the silliest argument in favor of a uniform that there is. Using the "they won with that look" logic, there is no reason (or good argument) for the Cowboys to ever change these...

c34c02a338659d80cada72119ba03a64.jpg

The Lions should wear these...

l.jpg

The Browns look pretty much exactly like they should...

275353188001_1185255881001_mike-ada.jpg

And the Eagles have some changes to make...

image-1.jpg

You get the idea. How a team performed in a uniform should have nothing to do with it. All that matters, or ever should matter, is whether or not the uniform looks good. And as we all know, what looks good is entirely subjective.

i agree about 50% of the way there. the thing is people have an emotional connection to a uniform/logo at all times and when the team is successful it is strong. there is good memories tied to it. eventually if you dont keep your success on the field up, you end up like the Lions or the Eagles there and your design becomes irrelevant. the equity dries up and you have to re charge the culture and fan base. in the special cases of the Browns for example, thats just a good design (for those who dont agree just let me have it for the sake of the argument) that has no major flaws and has stood the test of time. the Eagles there have a horribly drawn wing on the helmet and quickly became dated. theres multiple reasons to change or not to change. its hard to do sometimes though when you're going from a uni/logo with great history tied to it into something new that fits the future. not all are brave enough to take the leap; sometimes you have to disconnect from the past and build that better future.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Well, technically, they also won in these classics:

dallas-cowboys-michael-irvin-59-edge-advantage-96-nfl-american-football-trading-card-46708-p.jpgdallas-cowboys-kevin-williams-157-score-95-american-football-nfl-trading-card-44731-p.jpg

Classics? They're hideous with 4 giant stars. Looks obnoxious and something you'd see in a football version of a Harlem Globetrotters-like circus team that tours to entertain kids.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic when he called them classics.

I think the NHL should take a page out of the NBA's book and throwback to some of the more "unique" designs from the 90's. Some of them (Ducks' Wild Wing, Kings' Burger King, Lightning's storm) are a little too over-the-top, but I wouldn't mind seeing Robo-Penguin, the Sharks original teal uniform, or the Coyotes originals.

While we're talking the Houston (and Tennessee) Oilers, this needs to be thrown back to soon:

Warren-Moon.jpg

As for others:

The whites have already been thrown back to (about 2004), but I wouldn't mind seeing either be thrown back to:

pollStockton.jpg

Though the early 1980s green uniforms can come back any time. While the current alternate greens are perhaps my favorite of the current Jazz set (and near the top of any Jazz set IMO), I wished the old greens hung around for more than a year.

ciccarelli.jpg

Either the Dallas Stars or Minnesota Wild throwing back to these would be all right. Hopefully, if the Stars are getting new uniforms and logos, they should go for the D logo inspired by the North Stars' N and done by ColeJ.

warren-cromartie-montreal-expos.jpg

Hopefully, the Nationals some day will recognize their franchise history pre-2005. If the Tennessee Titans can do so, maybe there's hope after all. :P

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Yeah, the blue helmet that comes nowhere close to matching the rest of the uniform and those heat pressed numbers make that one awesome set.

There's obviously some fixes to be made there, but I'm pretty sure the non-matching helmet was a relic from the days of molded plastic helmets coming in a few select colors that didn't match very well with royal blue. Teams that used royal blue (Rams, Giants, Bills) had to choose between either the bright pastel blue that the Broncos used, or navy. Neither matched, but navy was less egregious, so that was their pick.

When did the Bills have blue helmets? :P

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I loved those uniforms - they were bold, brash, and over-the-top, which is COMPLETELY appropriate for the Dallas freaking Cowboys. Just switch to a simpler wordmark and those could be a great full-time set for the Cowboys right now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I wasn't being sarcastic. I loved those uniforms - they were bold, brash, and over-the-top, which is COMPLETELY appropriate for the Dallas freaking Cowboys. Just switch to a simpler wordmark and those could be a great full-time set for the Cowboys right now.

agreed. love those jerseys

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

romo_0.jpg

These by a mile

that is their current thowback.

wait, what are we doing here again?

If i'm not mistaken the Cowboys don't have an alt this year.

The point of the thread though was to post a good old uniform that has never been thrown back too.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I want every NFL team to throw-back to last year's uniforms so we don't have to see those ugly Nike collars. Just do it, NFL, just do it.

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

de343e68411347a18c86ca300ba709df965c81f7.jpg?x=318&y=400&sig=33ef35fdb9d0bf750cc1f17060a9b4a2

According to gridiron database, these were used as throwbacks in 1994 but I can't find a picture.

They were worn in 1994 (both home and road if I'm remembering correctly). There used to be a website that had photos of all the 75th Anniversary throwbacks but I can't find it anymore; I guess the owner took it down.

No offense, but I think the "they won with that look" logic is about the silliest argument in favor of a uniform that there is.

I agree with you when weighing the merits of a full-time uniform set, but for a throwback, there's no sense in throwing back to a uniform that the team did nothing but lose in. The whole point of a throwback is to bring back good memories for the fans.

Using the "they won with that look" logic, there is no reason (or good argument) for the Cowboys to ever change these...

c34c02a338659d80cada72119ba03a64.jpg

Well, technically, they also won in these classics:dallas-cowboys-michael-irvin-59-edge-advantage-96-nfl-american-football-trading-card-46708-p.jpgdallas-cowboys-kevin-williams-157-score-95-american-football-nfl-trading-card-44731-p.jpg

Eh techinically NO THEY DID NOT! The Cowboy busted out the one on the right in the NFC Championship game against the 9ers Jan 95 (see 75th anniversary patch on the shoulder) so they'd have something "flash" to wear for their "three-peat" and were then promptly schooled at Candlestick by the 49ers.

On a side note tho, they were the first jersey's I ever remember seeing with the crest on the chest, something which is common practice now.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Am I really the first to bust this out?

ziggy-fish.jpg

They would sell like crazy. Alot better than the mess of a third they have now.

I'm not so sure, considering that it was negative fan reaction that deep-six'd that design in the first place.

Archived