Things you don't see in sports anymore

kajeet

A NFL dress code sign I saw said no bandanas allowed and it got me thinking that if a player tried to dress like Deion Sanders now, how much he would get fined by Goodell. So what are some things you don't see in sports anymore or things not allowed anymore. For example how the one-bar face mask is banned or how there aren't any individual team uniform manufacturers.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ty Cobb was a racist and went into the crowd and beat up a man with no hands one time

There were all sorts of bizarre things during the dead-ball era. Fans/players attacking umps, players going into the stands, etc.

Smoking in the dugout in baseball. I don't know whether this is technically against the rules, but you don't see it much any more.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well, I mean if someone yelled a racial slur at Derek Jeter and he went into the crowd and beat up a man with no hands, I imagine there would be some kind of reprocussion

Yes. What Ron Artest did in the NBA would have not had nearly as much attention (and if any suspension, MUCH smaller) 100 years ago in baseball.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

"We, uh, we called that the stinger. They...they don't let you use that no more."

Nice.

First thing I thought of was big wads of chew in outfielders' cheeks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Regular-season games played in "other"/"semi-home" cities (other than the NFL game in London) - like how the Packers used to play a few games in Milwaukee, a few NBA teams played sporadically in "regional" cities (Jazz in Vegas, Hawks in New Orleans/Charlotte, etc). That seemed to go away in the '80s.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Regular-season games played in "other" cities (other than the NFL game in London) - like how the Packers used to play a few games in Milwaukee, a few NBA teams played sporadically in "regional" cities (Jazz in Vegas, Hawks in New Orleans, etc). That seemed to go away in the '80s.

The NHL did that as well in the late 80's to mid 90's I do believe. Like I remember a Flames regular season game in Saskatoon.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Regular-season games played in "other" cities (other than the NFL game in London) - like how the Packers used to play a few games in Milwaukee, a few NBA teams played sporadically in "regional" cities (Jazz in Vegas, Hawks in New Orleans, etc). That seemed to go away in the '80s.

The NHL did that as well in the late 80's to mid 90's I do believe. Like I remember a Flames regular season game in Saskatoon.

Did some digging and found Celtics games in Hartford (until 1994) and Sonics in Tacoma (as late as 1991) as well.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Players showing true excitement and enthusiasm when they score a goal. I love looking back at old hockey and seeing players score and them just freaking out like they just scored in game 7 of the final. Now you just see players not even really react.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Did some digging and found Celtics games in Hartford (until 1994) and Sonics in Tacoma (as late as 1991) as well.

The Hurricanes have scheduled to play games in Charlotte. Albeit they are preseason games, but games nonetheless...

1. The Freeze, a spray can of ice that was sprayed on baseball players when they got hit by a pitch.

2. Rainbow Man with his sign that says John 3:16

3. Cigarette Ads in stadiums, fans smoking in the stands, players smoking

4. Beer commericals celebrating hard work and relaxing at the end of the day at bar watching sports.

5. Good highlight shows on ESPN

6. Smelling salts used on the field

7. Bullpen Cars

8. Bench Clearing Brawls

9. NHL's Crease rule

10. Must See Boxing events

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

2. Rainbow Man with his sign that says John 3:16

Wasn't he arrested for terrorism or something like that?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived