Things you don't see in sports anymore

kajeet

Regular-season games played in "other" cities (other than the NFL game in London) - like how the Packers used to play a few games in Milwaukee, a few NBA teams played sporadically in "regional" cities (Jazz in Vegas, Hawks in New Orleans, etc). That seemed to go away in the '80s.

The NHL did that as well in the late 80's to mid 90's I do believe. Like I remember a Flames regular season game in Saskatoon.

Did some digging and found Celtics games in Hartford (until 1994) and Sonics in Tacoma (as late as 1991) as well.

The Hurricanes have scheduled to play games in Charlotte. Albeit they are preseason games, but games nonetheless...

Lots of teams do that during the preseason. The Lakers are playing in San Diego, Ontario, Vegas, Anaheim, and Fresno during the preseason this year.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regular-season games played in "other"/"semi-home" cities (other than the NFL game in London) - like how the Packers used to play a few games in Milwaukee, a few NBA teams played sporadically in "regional" cities (Jazz in Vegas, Hawks in New Orleans/Charlotte, etc). That seemed to go away in the '80s.

The Bucks played games at the UW Field House and the Brown County Arena (Green Bay). They still occasionally play an exhibition game in Green Bay (now at the Resch Center), but no one cares about the Bucks anymore.

2. Rainbow Man with his sign that says John 3:16

Wasn't he arrested for terrorism or something like that?

The guy was Rollen Stewart and yeah he was/is a total whack job.

Currently in jail on kidnapping charges and its highly unlikely he'll ever get out because of his mental problems.

We rarely see fans rush the field of play anymore. It's obviously not the most safe thing in the world, and I'm sure the players/leagues would prefer this not to happen, but the only medium I see that happening in still is college basketball, and it feels rather forced.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Regular-season games played in "other"/"semi-home" cities (other than the NFL game in London) - like how the Packers used to play a few games in Milwaukee, a few NBA teams played sporadically in "regional" cities (Jazz in Vegas, Hawks in New Orleans/Charlotte, etc). That seemed to go away in the '80s.

The Bucks played games at the UW Field House and the Brown County Arena (Green Bay). They still occasionally play an exhibition game in Green Bay (now at the Resch Center), but no one cares about the Bucks anymore.

The La Crosse Center in, well, La Crosse was (is?) another semi-regular annual preseason stop for the Bucks. It seats 10,000 for basketball, which isn't that much less than their original home at the MECCA.

CCSLC signature.png

We rarely see fans rush the field of play anymore. It's obviously not the most safe thing in the world, and I'm sure the players/leagues would prefer this not to happen, but the only medium I see that happening in still is college basketball, and it feels rather forced.

I was going to say this too. Too bad you can't rush the field in baseball when your team wins the pennant or division anymore.

Also teams that build championship contenders through the draft instead of buying players. The Thunder and spurs are the only teams I know that were mostly built using the draft.

Spurs,and to a degree the Thunder, were assisted by the draft lottery.

SAS had Robinson with Sean Elliott, Rod Strickland (two years) and Willie Anderson did not get them to the Finals, but they went from a 59 win team to a 20 win team, when Robinson only played six games and got the #1 overall pick to draft Duncan.

Television broadcasts with the only thing on the screen being the game. No scroll, no score box, no station logo -- just the game.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived