Things you don't see in sports anymore

kajeet

One thing I don't see much in sports, especially in college athletics, is integrity. Many schools like SMU, Penn St., and UNC that traded academic and ethical integrity for short or long (for Penn State)-term athletic success. Their lack of integrity resulted in coaches being fired and for PSU and SMU, the near destruction of their athletic programs. If there is one way to save college sports is to increase the importance of integrity and it's effects on universities.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I don't see much in sports, especially in college athletics, is integrity. Many schools like SMU, Penn St., and UNC that traded academic and ethical integrity for short or long (for Penn State)-term athletic success. Their lack of integrity resulted in coaches being fired and for PSU and SMU, the near destruction of their athletic programs. If there is one way to save college sports is to increase the importance of integrity and it's effects on universities.

As long as we have the current myopic obsession with the same old good ole' boys in college football, there will always be cheating. Why? Because the good ole' boys cheat. Cheating is just an extension of the same political BS that is slowly killing the sport.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

star players staying with one team for their entire career, i.e. Jeter or Chipper Jones

How can two things actively happening right now be something you don't see anymore?

Yeah we definitely see this in sports still. The NBA has Kobe and Tim Duncan, the NFL has Tom Brady, and because of all the 10+ year contracts in the NHL there are a lot of great players that will probably play their entire careers (or the most significant parts of them at least) with one team. Off the top of my head I can think of Crosby, Toews, Ovechkin, and the Sedins.

star players staying with one team for their entire career, i.e. Jeter or Chipper Jones

How can two things actively happening right now be something you don't see anymore?

Yeah we definitely see this in sports still. The NBA has Kobe and Tim Duncan, the NFL has Tom Brady, and because of all the 10+ year contracts in the NHL there are a lot of great players that will probably play their entire careers (or the most significant parts of them at least) with one team. Off the top of my head I can think of Crosby, Toews, Ovechkin, and the Sedins.

Notice how you didn't put any players for baseball. They all want to go to bigger market teams and some (Like Pujols) leave for the money

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Notice how you didn't put any players for baseball. They all want to go to bigger market teams and some (Like Pujols) leave for the money

Joe Mauer, Ryan Braun, Paul Konerko, Justin Verlander, Ryan Zimmerman, Todd Helton. Sure, you could make the argument that these guys won't stay their whole career but I feel that they will. There was also many others guys in their late 20's I could have named.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Joe Mauer, Ryan Braun, Paul Konerko, Justin Verlander, Ryan Zimmerman, Todd Helton. Sure, you could make the argument that these guys won't stay their whole career but I feel that they will. There was also many others guys in their late 20's I could have named.

Konerko played for other teams.

But I'll add Howard, Utley and Rollins. While not a superstar, Brian Roberts might be a lifetime Oriole.

Which is fine, because they should try and get all they can.

Wow, you want to talk about integrity when you are a Louisville homer?

Not only did U of L hired Pitino's his son as an assistant coach which is still nepotism, It led the kid to get a head coaching job at FIU,

U of L also permitted his affair with Karen Sypher and let him keep his job.

Today, I don't see indoor soccer stars like Tatu, Julie Vee or the great Steve Zungel.

Konerko played for other teams.

But I'll add Howard, Utley and Rollins. While not a superstar, Brian Roberts might be a lifetime Oriole.

Konerko's a borderline case because of the small amount of time he spent in LA and Cincy compared to his time with the Sox.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived