Major League Football (my fictional concept league)

hugevolsfan

The Memphis Blues!

In 1993 the MLF was deciding between three cities Los Angeles, Memphis, & Tampa Bay to receive two bids for expansion teams.

The ownership group in Los Angeles fell through at the last moment & Memphis was awarded the last franchise.

In a name the team contest the Blues name was picked over Hounddogs & Pharaohs.

The team had some success in their first few years but never finished with a record better than 10-6.

In 2004 Terry Nolan was hired as head coach from college and brought one of the most exciting offenses to the league.

His first move was to pick Chad Kessler #1 in the 2004 draft to be his QB.

The next four years saw Kessler throw for 80 touchdowns & Memphis to post a 39-25 record.

However in 2008 Kessler went down in the first game of the season with an injury & the team finished with a 1-15 record.

As a result of the season & some philosophical agreements with the owners Nolan was fired.

Don Brooks was hired who had several successful runs as head coach in the NFL most recently with the New York Generals.

His first move was to sign free agent RB Otis McNeil from New York who was 34 at the time to help establish a running game which was not a high priority in Nolan's offense.

Kessler who became a free agent as well was signed by Miami who had hired Terry Nolan as offensive coordinator.

The team decided to sign free agent backup QB Brian Garrett to run the new system.

The team also drafted RB Shaun Wallace to boost the running game.

Most of the great receiving corps was also not resigned including Mark Toney who went to Baltimore & Delano Dawkins who signed with Miami.

The one retained was Kendrick Hill who considered the least likely to be a #1 receiver.

However he proved the naysayers wrong catching more passes than any other WR the last 4 years.

Brooks has went 33-31 the last four years & is in jeopardy of losing his job so this year is the biggest for this team.

Here are the logos & uniforms C & C

MEMLogosUniformsSheet.png

MEMAltUniformsSheet.png

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Miami Marauders!

Miami was awarded an expansion franchise to begin play in 1964!

A name the team contest was done & Marauders was selected over Dolphins, Suns, & Mariners.

Over 20,000 entries were entered & over 800 selected Marauders but Mary Johnson was awarded season passes & declared the official winner of the contest.

The team started off winning its first two games but then went on to lose the next 24 which is still a record for the longest losing streak.

Miami had some of the worst teams in football until they hired Mel Weinhoff as coach in 1983.

Weinhoff has won 288 games & 2 MLF championships in 31 years as the head coach.

However the majority of the games were won with Hall of Fame QB David Dodd who lead the team for 18 years & won 152 games.

After Dodd's retirement in 2000 Miami had several years of average football teams & Weinhoff was on the verge of losing his job until he hired Terry Nolan as OC in 2009.

Miami has won three straight American Conference South titles & Weinhoff has indicated this will be his last year as head coach.

Miami has strong team on offense with QB Chad Kessler, RB Cory Collins, WR's Michael Carter & Delano Dawkins, & TE Mark Reilly

The improvement they need is on defense if they want to give Weinhoff the championship send off.

They do have on of the best Safeties in football with Donovan Green & one of the best middle LB in Rob Manning.

Here are the new logos & uniforms redesigned in 2008. C & C is always welcome.

MIALogosUniformsSheet.png

i feel like most of your concepts include a blank jersey with a logo on the sleeves. i think you should go a little more out of the box on these

I will agree to an extent especially the last couple but look at the NFL not much different there but there are 32 teams & some of them will be completely different.

Miami is considered a modern approach & if you look at the last few uniform updates in the NFL besides the Seahawks & Jaguars they have all been kinda of the same approach.

I hate the piping like the Jaguars & Falcons have but I am really going to have to do a team with something similar to make this realistic.

I feel like a lot of the teams have some shade of blue as their primary color maybe try some different color schemes? I mean the Blue and Breakers use two shades of blue...

You are right but it really is just the way they have been laid out so far I would say out of the 20 teams left you will only see maybe 5 more teams with blue in the color scheme.

When you make a league with 32 teams that is realistic you are going to have similar color schemes there is just no way around it.

It is not easy to come up with different color schemes that teams would have if they started in the 20's.

Memphis logo does look like the Philly Soul but I do not know how it can be helped since I have envisioned a musical note for this team forever.

The good news is the wordmark is totally different & so are the colors.

I have had Memphis for a long time but it was in my 8 team league that was kinda like a USFL or XFL & I put it in when I could not come up with a good TN team.

I had the TN Copperheads forever but when I really started making logos for this league I realized that name just does not sound professional.

On a side note here are some teams that have stood the test of time that I have not changed at all over the years amazingly they are only 5 now.

Chicago Barbarians

Denver Riders

Indianapolis Racers

New York Generals

St. Louis Stallions

Are you skipping the Barbarians/Riders?

For now Chicago is almost done still have the wordmark to do but I am reworking the Riders logo some.

I am pretty sure most will not like it but it is what I envisioned for a long time it will also be the third horse themed logo for this league.

That is a lot but the NFL has several bird & cat logos that look very similar.

I approached this league how real life happens & people just did not give this stuff alot of thought decades ago like we do now.

I am tempted to post the Stallions next as I have done a total rework on this one from last time.

I feel it is the best logo I have created so far but I am sure some will not like because it is a horse head like the Broncos.

I changed the colors in the last few days to Purple & Gold from Silver & Black to kind of show what could have been if Stallions expansion team would have happened in the NFL.

I also gave another team Pittsburgh those colors so I decided to give the Stallions something new which turned out great IMO.

The St. Louis Stallions!

History:

In 1960 the other city to receive a bid for expansion was St. Louis.

The ownership group headed by Fitz Jennings asked the fans to pick the team name.

Stallions was the overwhelming favorite over other suggestions such as Archers & Spirits.

The team has had many ups & downs including going to three American Conference Championships & a 15 year playoff drought.

In recent years the Stallions have had lot of success under Head Coach Brian Turner including one MLF Championship in 2007.

Turner a former offensive coordinator for Dallas during their championship runs has teamed with QB Craig Matthews, RB James Dunn, & WR's Vincent Green, Bobby Kelly, & Cedric Moss to create one of the best offenses in the MLF.

All Pros CB Ken McIntyre & DE Keith Jefferson lead a good but not great defense.

In 2011 the team went 8-8 losing the last 4 games of the season.

The team played without Jefferson for 7 games & Matthews for 10 games.

44 year old QB Don Brandt finished the season as the starter becoming the first 40 plus QB to throw for 20 TD's but he also threw 12 Ints.

He was talked into one more year as backup to the 35 year old Matthews who was a part of the famed 1999 QB draft.

Here are the new uniforms that debuted in 1998. C & C

SLLogosUniformsSheet.png

SLAltUniformsSheet.png

Archived