Sacramento Kings rumor mill

panthers_2012

Ridiculous. I'm so tired of the damn Maloofs and their screwing over Sacramento. The city offers these fools $250 million for their new arena (leaving the Maloofs with a paltry $70 million contribution) and they foul it up. 3rd time they've done that too with regard to an arena deal.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I possibly be the only one who doesn't see Seattle's lack of a NBA franchise to be anything close to the injustice it frequently gets made out to be around here?

I'm not saying Seattle didn't get dicked over, and it sucks whenever a city loses a franchise (unless its Glendale), but its not as if the Sonics were a bastion of NBA tradition or an integral part of the Seattle community... sure they had their fans, but it's not as if we're talking about the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn or the Browns leaving Cleveland here. In five seasons, the Sounders have a bigger following than the Sonics did in four decades.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Seattle is doing just fine without them.

Respectfully, while it would not be fair to draw any comparison to the Dodgers or the Browns, the Sonics were Seattle'sfirst professional sports franchise and only major championship winner. Integral part? Bastion of tradition? Depends on who you ask. Politicians and fans tend to have differing opinions on what is integral or tradition. As a long-time Sonics fan, they were very much BOTH to me and my family.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Watching the documentary on the Sonics and my god that very similar to what happened to the Grizzles in Vancouver in the sense that they got a new owner who said they will NOT move the team (They even had him sing the Canadian anthem when his ownership was approved) and Stern was saying when the switch in ownership happened that the Grizzles would stay. The NBA and David Stern really have it in for the Northwest region don't they?

As far as Seattle goes, for David Stern it was about the arena situation and nothing more, and for Clay Bennett it was about getting a team in OKC and nothing more.

Well I think with Bill Laurie it was getting a team in either Memphis or St. Louis and for Stern, I don't think he ever liked Vancouver... In all honesty though I don't think that Vancouver is a major basketball market and that's what eventually did it in.

Can I possibly be the only one who doesn't see Seattle's lack of a NBA franchise to be anything close to the injustice it frequently gets made out to be around here?

The travesty that saga was cannot be overstated. There's a very good documentary about it called Sonicsgate that I highly recommend for anyone who's interested. This wasn't just any old relocation.

its not as if the Sonics were a bastion of NBA tradition or an integral part of the Seattle community...

The Sonics have a championship, and a legacy of memorable players: Slick Watts, Sikma, Payton, Kemp, Detlef Schrempf, Ray Allen, Kevin Durant...

Yeah, but that championship was one in a long line of historical "WTF" championships in the 1970s NBA. Did you know Washington has an NBA Championship? How about Portland? Oh, and Golden State. Bet you didn't think of Milwaukee as ever being NBA Champion timber either. Man, the 1970s were strange.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How does Columbus keep coming up in these NBA relocation discussions? Now I ain't got nothing against the city at all (especially considering the amount of time I spend in it), but...don't they have enough trouble supporting the one major pro team they do have? The other thing is this: that city, at least from what I've seen, is Ohio State first, second, third and fourth?shoot, I think The Crew probably has a more devoted following than the Blue Jackets. What in the world makes people think an NBA team would work there, especially considering there's one about two hours up the highway? (Now it's entirely possible I may be entirely wrong about this...but this is just what my observations lead me to believe.)

Also...LOL at Louisville getting an NBA team. That's another place I'm in and out of on the regular and...I just don't see that one happening?especially considering all the trouble they're having just trying to get those bridges fixed.

Couldn't Louisville get a D-League Team, especially with the proximity to Chicago, Indianapolis, and Cleveland?

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

The travesty that saga was cannot be overstated. There's a very good documentary about it called Sonicsgate that I highly recommend for anyone who's interested. This wasn't just any old relocation.

its not as if the Sonics were a bastion of NBA tradition or an integral part of the Seattle community...

The Sonics have a championship, and a legacy of memorable players: Slick Watts, Sikma, Payton, Kemp, Detlef Schrempf, Ray Allen, Kevin Durant...

Yeah, but that championship was one in a long line of historical "WTF" championships in the 1970s NBA. Did you know Washington has an NBA Championship? How about Portland? Oh, and Golden State. Bet you didn't think of Milwaukee as ever being NBA Champion timber either. Man, the 1970s were strange.

Lots of those teams had Hall of Famers and guys who belong in the Hall of Pretty Good, so it isn't like some terrible teams won titles.

I think one of those teams was pretty weak, actually. I want to say it was the Bullets or Warriors that had a middling record and just got lucky in the playoffs.

FAKE EDIT: Bullets

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Couldn't Louisville get a D-League Team, especially with the proximity to Chicago, Indianapolis, and Cleveland?

Now that...is entirely feasible?especially due to proximity to those three places. And if that was to ever come to fruition, they'll already have a nickname tailor-made for them*: Colonels.

It'd make entirely too much sense. :P

*Assumes there are no legal rights issues holding up the assumption of that nickname

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Now that...is entirely feasible?especially due to proximity to those three places. And if that was to ever come to fruition, they'll already have a nickname tailor-made for them*: Colonels.

*Assumes there are no legal rights issues holding up the assumption of that nickname

Having a D-League team also allows UL to stay at the Yum Center while the D-L team can use the historic Freedom Hall without too much conflict between both teams.

Having a D-League team also allows UL to stay at the Yum Center while the D-L team can use the historic Freedom Hall without too much conflict between both teams.

Hard to make money when the typical D-League team only draws 3,000 fans a game. They don't have a team since people with money know they cannot make any there. Just be happy UofL is your "pro team".

Hard to make money when the typical D-League team only draws 3,000 fans a game. They don't have a team since people with money know they cannot make any there. Just be happy UofL is your "pro team".

You have a point, but Louisville, like most in Kentucky, embrace basketball differently than other cities. Look in Oklahoma City, most love football but the fans are dazzled at their NBA team almost as much as OU and OSU.

The NBA likes to open up pro markets. It tends to get there first. That said, they won't take a back seat to a college team. So Louisville's out.

I think that's a reason a place like Hampton Roads has a better shot of approval than Anaheim. And even Seattle, which got the Sonics first, but has become a market flooded with sports teams. I wonder sometimes if the NBA really wants to go back at all. The longevity factor is lost to the Mariners, Seahawks and even Sounders now.

But if you get the Maloofs, you get the Kings. If they weren't even going to entertain a brand new name for Anaheim and instead go with the long-retired and MLB-used Royals, then the Squires aren't going to get a sniff if they move to Virginia.

Yeah but Anaheim didn't have a prime nickname ready for the Kings to use like the Squires. All they had was "Amigos", which was never gonna happen. That'd why they were simply gonna go back to Royals. Squires is a much better and more professional sounding name so you can't really discard it as a possibility until they come out and actually say it ain't gonna happen.

But if you get the Maloofs, you get the Kings. If they weren't even going to entertain a brand new name for Anaheim and instead go with the long-retired and MLB-used Royals, then the Squires aren't going to get a sniff if they move to Virginia.

Let me dream dammit!

spacer.png

Archived