Sacramento Kings rumor mill

panthers_2012

The $150 million requested from the state includes $70 million to build the arena and $80 million to help the team relocate.

Wait, what?

Yep. 30 mil to pay the relocation fee and 47 mil for losses the Maloofs would suffer playing at Old Dominion for 2 years in their relatively small arena. And 3 million for hookers and blow.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The $150 million requested from the state includes $70 million to build the arena and $80 million to help the team relocate.

Wait, what?

Yep. 30 mil to pay the relocation fee and 47 mil for losses the Maloofs would suffer playing at Old Dominion for 2 years in their relatively small arena. And 3 million for hookers and blow.

What I don't get is why they'd play at ODU instead of the much bigger and more historic Scope?

bYhYmxh.png

What I don't get is why they'd play at ODU instead of the much bigger and more historic Scope?

Where have they said that they'd play at ODU if they move?

That aside, the Scope is a pretty outdated building and it doesn't seat much more than the Constant Convocation Center. It's in a pretty lousy neighborhood too. On the other hand, the CCC is quite beautiful and modern, in a very nice area and has plenty of parking.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/council-to-hear-arena-financial-plan

The Virginia Beach City Council gave Comcast-Specator its verbal consent Tuesday, to move forward with negotiations to bring a sports arena and anchor tenant to the Beach.

Peter Luukko, President and COO of Comcast-Spectacor, came to council chambers to get the group's nonbinding support. With the approval of city council, Luukko can tell an unnamed professional sports team that the city is on board with the deal.

"It's important to get support of city council today to move forward in talks with the anchor tenant," Luukko said.

Also if this does happen, my hometown could also be part of this :)

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/virginia/ap_virginia/Va-Beach-NBA-could-temporarily-play-in-Richmond_95848222

Virginia Beach Economic Development Director Warren Harris told city council members on Tuesday that Richmond is a possible venue location. The Richmond Coliseum seats about 12,000 people for basketball. Arenas closer to Virginia Beach in Norfolk and Hampton seat between 8,600 and 10,600 people.

baltimoreravens.png

http://www.wavy.com/...-financial-plan

The Virginia Beach City Council gave Comcast-Specator its verbal consent Tuesday, to move forward with negotiations to bring a sports arena and anchor tenant to the Beach.

Peter Luukko, President and COO of Comcast-Spectacor, came to council chambers to get the group's nonbinding support. With the approval of city council, Luukko can tell an unnamed professional sports team that the city is on board with the deal.

"It's important to get support of city council today to move forward in talks with the anchor tenant," Luukko said.

http://www.wavy.com/...chmond_95848222

Virginia Beach Economic Development Director Warren Harris told city council members on Tuesday that Richmond is a possible venue location. The Richmond Coliseum seats about 12,000 people for basketball. Arenas closer to Virginia Beach in Norfolk and Hampton seat between 8,600 and 10,600 people.

Good luck with them if you do end up with the Maloof owned Kings. You'll be the luckiest region since Hiroshima.

Good luck with them if you do end up with the Maloof owned Kings. You'll be the luckiest region since Hiroshima.

One could only hope that the Maloofs are minor but I doubt it.

baltimoreravens.png

One could only hope that the Maloofs are minor but I doubt it.

Minor? They're the controlling owners. And the way VB has planned out this potential deal, they'd remain controlling owners. VB would be as screwed now as Sac has been since they pissed the bulk of daddy's money away.

If this happens, I've got to think a two-team expansion is on the way. When was the last time the NBA left an arena on the table? They're going to double-back on Sacramento, right? And Seattle is right there as well.

The Grizzlies and Hornets have stablized. The Warriors are headed to SF. Who's left with arena issues? The Bucks? The Wolves? (Or did they end up with Vikings bill money?) And are they unresolvable to the point that either would really be headed west?

The NBA would be stupid to expand at this point. That splits a 30-piece pie into 32 pieces in a time of economic instability and high expenses. Unless there are 2 new franchises that would add well more than they subtract, the league would do well to hold off on expanding until the economy comes around.

The Kings are in a sad state. They're like the '80s Clippers or early-'90s Mavs on steroids. The Maloofs might honestly be the worst owners in NBA history considering how hard they've worked to pinch pennies and prop up their failing businesses at the expense of the taxpayers, team success, and the city government.

Definitely feel bad for Kings fans. Sacramento is a good basketball market but the well has long since been poisoned there under Maloof ownership.

The NBA would be stupid to expand at this point. That splits a 30-piece pie into 32 pieces in a time of economic instability and high expenses. Unless there are 2 new franchises that would add well more than they subtract, the league would do well to hold off on expanding until the economy comes around.

If anything, there needs to be contraction. There's too many teams and not enough talent to go around, and many teams are struggling financially.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Kings are in a sad state. They're like the '80s Clippers or early-'90s Mavs on steroids. The Maloofs might honestly be the worst owners in NBA history considering how hard they've worked to pinch pennies and prop up their failing businesses at the expense of the taxpayers, team success, and the city government.

Definitely feel bad for Kings fans. Sacramento is a good basketball market but the well has long since been poisoned there under Maloof ownership.

I wonder what would have happened if they won in 2002?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I wonder what would have happened if they won in 2002?

We'd still be here, only there might be a little heightened cry to preserve the Kings identity.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If this happens, I've got to think a two-team expansion is on the way. When was the last time the NBA left an arena on the table?

Kansas City? And St Louis before that?

Hmmm... perhaps. But I was thinking more along the lines of Charlotte. And really even with Seattle being able to keep a share of their Sonics history "just in case" they got another arena.

Sacramento was so close to getting that arena that I can't imagine the NBA wouldn't want to revisit it with a new owner, if that's even still a possibility. The Maloofs are to the Kings' previously solid fanbase what Shinn was to Charlotte's. Of course, the Hornets/Bobcats issues are still apparent 10 years later, so maybe that will prevent a repeat of history.

Kansas City's arena wasn't tied to a team, it was built to lure one. St. Louis had the Blues. I don't know if that's the same situation as I was thinking. Of course, my train of thought may be flawed...

Where have they said that they'd play at ODU if they move?

That aside, the Scope is a pretty outdated building and it doesn't seat much more than the Constant Convocation Center. It's in a pretty lousy neighborhood too. On the other hand, the CCC is quite beautiful and modern, in a very nice area and has plenty of parking.

I heard the other day they would play at the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia for a few years then move to the new arena in Virginia Beach if there is a relocation. Richmond Coliseum seats 12,000 with basketball. Definitely bigger than ODU's arena and the Scope. The Coliseum would be a great spot for the team until the new arena gets built. Basketball is pretty big here in Richmond, even more so now that VCU and U of R have recently been in the spotlight.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Yeah, it would definitely be interesting to see NBA ball in Richmond, but I wonder whether the area would really embrace the team knowing that it would be a Tennessee-Titans-to-Memphis style relocation. The Coliseum is a pretty weak arena too.

I'd love to see a return of the Virginia Squires, but I'd never be able to go see them in Virginia Beach. Plus, as I posted earlier, I have major issues with the state funding one penny of this with the current financial pressures in the state and with the Maloofs being involved in any way.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/no--for-arena-in-govs-proposed-budget

According to a spokesperson with the governor's office, there is no funding in his proposed budget to help pay for an 18,500-seat arena in Virginia Beach.

The project could still be funded, but Gov. Bob McDonnell's office needs more studies supporting the arena.

Well, back to our normally schedule program.

baltimoreravens.png

http://www.wavy.com/...proposed-budget

According to a spokesperson with the governor's office, there is no funding in his proposed budget to help pay for an 18,500-seat arena in Virginia Beach.

The project could still be funded, but Gov. Bob McDonnell's office needs more studies supporting the arena.

Well, back to our normally schedule program.

I don't understand why they can't try and do a PSL sort of thing with the arena. Allow people to buy licenses for the seats and it helps build the arena. You never know.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Archived