How do you get this effects like these?

JGCleveland

I love working with photoshop and making desktop wallpapers but most of the time my work comes out looking flat. I'm not sure that I'm asking for a tutorial from anyone (unless they feel compelled to do one), I just want to know the basic technique to getting effects like these on the player renders.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Those lighting effects are so hard for me to pull off. Does it have something to do with the Layer Mode, or Curves, or Brightness Contrast, or even a plug-in? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Try messing with duplicating layers and applying various transparencies to them (hard light is especially helpful), as well as messing with curves and levels on the image. That's usually what I do, but IMO there's no real universal "way" to do it. Depends on what you're trying to do, and it varies by picture. Takes some toying around.

You can do all of the effects with brushes such as these or these.

Here are some tutorials that might help:

All the lighting stuff was done in curves and/or levels, but like Doug said - each designer has their own way and method. I usually only employ multiply/overlay/screen when doing designs like these and utilize 'levels' for lighting on specific layers. I only use curves with the final image.

They may have used Topaz Labs HDR plugin too, I can't really tell.

My best advice: give those tutorials a whirl, fatten up your brushes folder (and organize your brush collection if you can - after you get 100+ you'll thank yourself for doing it), and play with different options.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived