NFL Fauxback Alternates- Tennessee added

MDGP

My next team is the Minnesota Vikings. Everybody remembers back in the 1994 season when the Steelers and Bears threw back to their late 20's, early 30's uniforms with disastrous results. For this series, I wanted to try a similar style of uniform that wouldn't look completely stupid. This was originally the concept for the Bills I previously alluded to, but I decided to change teams, and felt that the Vikings color scheme would suit the style. The uniform is based on a very popular style of uniform of the era.

Obviously this concept isn't 100 percent accurate. This concept was more about taking an old template and somehow making it work in today's NFL. I chose yellow, since another team at the time already wore purple. The sleeve and shoulder stripes are the dual strips that were on the arms of some jerseys at the time. I also realized that the new flywire collars would be a simple, effective way to represent the chevrons used by several teams. On the body, I obviously needed numbers, so I couldn't have the strips across the entire chest. Instead, I limited it to two on each side, one under the arm, and one towards the front of the uniform. Now, I had trouble deciding whether to keep the stripes in the mesh, or extend them below. In the end, I kept them in the mesh, as I felt it was less out of place. The pants are plain tan like everyone else's during the 1931 season.

The helmets are purple and feature a winged helmet pattern that is meant to be a predecessor to the iconic horns that the vikings currently wear.

ScreenShot2012-09-06at50041PM.png

Also, I updated the Patriots! i changed the silver to white, and as aawagner suggested, I also made a navy blue helmet with a white hat. Quite frankly, I love the navy version, but since so many people wanted to see a white one, I kept that one too.

ScreenShot2012-09-06at52005PM.png

Also, I've been thinking about further expanding this to include different era's for teams that didn't exist ( 90's Expansions with 1930's through 1980's uniforms, etc). What do you guys think?

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I've been thinking about further expanding this to include different era's for teams that didn't exist ( 90's Expansions with 1930's through 1980's uniforms, etc). What do you guys think?

I've always loved that idea. Taking a team like the Jaguars and going back to see how their uniform may have evolved through the years.

My favorite you've done so far is the Patriots. I thought it might look too garish if you went away from the silver, but the white pants with either the blue or white helmet both look great. The Bills and Vikings have been good too, but the Patriots just lend themselves perfectly to a striped jersey like this.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Love what you've done here. I like that you're experimenting with helmet styles-both Vikings and Patriots are ingenious. I'd love to see that continue, possibly with eagle style wings for other bird-based teams, horns for other horny teams, hats, whatever. The ingenuity you've shown with the helmets alone has blown me away.

As far as things I'd like to see:

Miama Seahawks throwback-The first pro football team in Florida.

1920s Chicago Cardinals-Great sleeve striping.

Undersleeves: Northwestern has shown that undersleeves can be utilized quite well.

Alright, I've decided to end this particular project to expand on my idea. Instead of just creating throwback uniforms for each team, I'm going to create uniform histories for every NFL team founded after 1950. This project will include:

• Era specific uniforms for every uniform change from the 1920's through the team's real-life founding.
  • Era specific logos
  • Relocations and/or Name Changes
  • New team histories (only for relocate teams, at the moment)
  • Modern alternates based on uniforms concepts.

I also may include stadiums, fan gear, programs, and other merchandise depending on the amount of free time I have outside of school (yay, college)

Obviously this will be a large undertaking, and I don't expect to be ready to even start presenting for awhile, as I need to make templates for every single era of football, and need some time to craft the logos.

Basically, this post is mostly to ask people if they have any suggestions for types of content to add (please do not say, "You should do this team from this year!." I will do every team, and have most of them planned pretty well). Also, I'd really appreciate if anyone knew of a high-quality template I could use for some of the older uniform styles (I mean high quality like andrewharrington's pro combat uniform). If not, that is fine, I'd just prefer to save myself some time and really get to the meat of this project.

Definitely let me know what you think

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 1 year later...

So, if you look up a few posts, you'll see that I started a series in which I create a false history of the NFL. Well, the series is nearly two years in the making, and I'm still working on completing the series, which hopefully will be ready sometime this fall. In the meantime, I created some throwback versions of several teams, as though they wore them now. I wanted to give a sort of preview to the series, as well as ease an itch that I had to post some of the concepts.

First up, I present the Seattle Seahawks wearing a 1952 throwback uniform.

ScreenShot2014-06-03at52100PM_zps4dd98e9.

My second team is a 1943 version of the San Diego Chargers (either that, or a Steve Yzerman owned Chargers team).

ScreenShot2014-06-03at52403PM_zps7b2f259

I really hate that I am just now finding this...These are amazing designs!

Thanks a bunch! In your defense, you probably didn't come across this because it was in stasis for a year before you even joined, haha

I'd love to get some more C+C!

I am not feeling the San Diego helmets. I think a combination of the 1966 Chargers helmet with the single color bolt and the 1963-1964 Chargers helmet with the shield on the front would be a better fit for a 1940's WWII era fauxback.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

I am not feeling the San Diego helmets. I think a combination of the 1966 Chargers helmet with the single color bolt and the 1963-1964 Chargers helmet with the shield on the front would be a better fit for a 1940's WWII era fauxback.

While I do like the idea of the helmet you described, it would not fit the parameters of what I am trying to do. Your description would require plastic helmets, which didn't surface in the NFL until around 1950, so it's be nearly impossible to have the bolt painted on the side, and shield on the front. Furthermore, in 1943, there wasn't a single NFL team with a design that was more intricate than the famous Michigan design, and there wouldn't be until 1948, when the Rams painted the horn on their helmets.

The San Diego design is actually meant to emulate the winged pattern on the front of Lester helmets, while simultaneously being innovative. (I probably should've explained this all earlier).

I think with he Seahawks maybe make both stripes more diagonal. I'm not a fan of just the blue stripe being visible over the facemask. I would make it where they both slant down toward the side of the facemask. Love the Chargers uniform, but not the helmet. Looks a little too bare for me.

Archived