Soldier Field Concept

TimEOBrien

The issue with the wind is somewhat valid, but in the last decade (with two notable exceptions) the Bears haven't had wind play more of role than most teams. Hell, wind consistently affects Pittsburgh games more, just look at FG numbers at Heinz Field. Plus, as you probably know, the title of Windy City has nothing to do with literal wind. I see wind being somewhat of an issue, but not more so than is acceptable.

That Pittsburgh is more affected by wind doesn't make Chicago less affected. It's plenty wind-touched as it is. If you built it like that so that the wind would come in through those columns and swirl about, it'd be a nightmare. And nickname etymology notwithstanding, because I at no point cited it in the first place, being next to a giant lake in autumn/winter is going to be windy. Let's not forget those miserable Cubs games in April where balls go up in the air and die.

That being said, your execution is coming along nicely! I like the suites in the corners. The whole thing reminds me of Lucas or UOP Stadium, but without the latter's weird empty void at one end. I don't know about the roof, though, or even the general idea of retractable-roof football for the Bears, who I'd rather see all-outdoor, all the time. So would certain Chicago power brokers; the Bears didn't get their roof for a reason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't know about the roof, though, or even the general idea of retractable-roof football for the Bears, who I'd rather see all-outdoor, all the time. So would certain Chicago power brokers; the Bears didn't get their roof for a reason.

The reason I wanted a roof is that (plus capacity) is what's holding Chicago back from hosting a Super Bowl or even the B1G title game.

Of course, but Reinsdorf and Wirtz weren't going to let big concert tours leave the United Center for Soldier Field. That would be bad for everyone, as you'd get what happens in Phoenix where the Pink Taco and US Airways compete for acts and bid themselves down too far (to say nothing of the third venue about which far too much has been said already). I don't feel like a Big Ten championship game is so important as to reduce the Bears to glorified arena ball, and a Chicago Super Bowl would just be miserable for the inconvenienced locals and for the sportswriters bitching that they're not in Miami or New Orleans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Of course, but Reinsdorf and Wirtz weren't going to let big concert tours leave the United Center for Soldier Field. That would be bad for everyone, as you'd get what happens in Phoenix where the Pink Taco and US Airways compete for acts and bid themselves down too far (to say nothing of the third venue about which far too much has been said already). I don't feel like a Big Ten championship game is so important as to reduce the Bears to glorified arena ball, and a Chicago Super Bowl would just be miserable for the inconvenienced locals and for the sportswriters bitching that they're not in Miami or New Orleans.

About the Super Bowl, I've always felt that it should be in a place that typically has nice winter weather so it's a destination that can double as a vacation for fans.

Now, that being said, I was in Indy for the Super Bowl and it was awesome. But that's because everything (hotels, Lucas Oil, the convention center, the ESPN area and the Indianapolis bars) was right next to each other. This is why sports writers loved the Indy Super Bowl and exactly why people would hate a Chicago and the planned NY SB.

Oh, and Indy is so Podunk, officials made it an Open Carry city for Super Bowl week, which was awesome.

I see your other issues, but I'm too into NCAAF and my beer to address them now, but I will say that if the stadium is still open air, and the way I structured it, it's not a good music venue.

You should understand Greek architecture before using it. If this were presented to me in a studio, I would tell you to drop and switch majors. There is nothing good about this concept, and in fact your copying serves to only cheapen the original as it is an added layer of pastiche (and a pastiche which is not understood by the designer). Greek architecture is about proportion and ratios. You have absolutely none here. It is simply not good.

Jesus Christ. What part of, "I am in the early stages," did you not get?

First, I'm not an architect, so if I presented this first draft of an amateur design to a professor of architecture, I'm pretty sure I'd be laughed out of the room.

I understand that.

But I'm not doing that. I'm showing my progress on a sports logos board hoping that people help me fine tune this with insightful critiques, just like my NU stadium thread. And I'm not going to be able to fine tune details, like Doric, Ionic or Corinthian columns. Due to the limitations of the program I use, I just get to put a cylinder in rather than a rectangle (or maybe there's a feature on there that I don't know or haven't seen).

Second, I know the pastiche, as you call it, that I am working with. I graduated Indiana with a minor in classical studies. I know the golden ratio (which is why the LxW ratio is a golden ratio rectangle, jerk) and I know about the many tricks the Greek and Romans used to have the eye believe it was seeing what it wasn't. Now, given that, maybe you will take your invalid criticism, about me have absolutely no proportions or ratios, back.

Originally, the height to width ratio was going to be 1 to 1.618 but I had trouble with the designing roof on sketchup (which I downloaded four days ago) so the roof is too low, the entabliture is too small and the pediment is all out of whack. Today I plan on fixing that in an update.

Third, I am not copying the Parthenon any more than I am copying the old Soldier Field architecture but adding a retractable roof to it, which was my main goal. It just started to shape itself like the Parthenon because of my needs.

And last, don't be a jerk. Your comment just came of as mean-spirited, hurtful and rude. Maybe you're an architect and you find this an affront to all your hard work, but that's not what this is and you know it. Just because you know more than me - and from your ridiculously condescending tone I can only assume that you do - doesn't mean you need to tear me down.

If you do have knowledge in this theater, build me up (no pun intended) and help me correct glaring errors I might have made. If you look at my images thus far, you'll notice I don't even have a single column on one side of the super structure - this is so early in the design, I haven't even added simple structural necessities, scoreboards or press boxes.

So, if this is just the worst thing ever and I have no redemption, please leave my to toil in my futility. If all is not lost, come back to this thread but, please, be constructive this time.

The problem is that you invite this sort of thing without even knowing it, Tim. I know Phil thinks you're god's gift to design and smartassery, but I've pointed out your brazen, cavalier attitude and dreamland approach in the Uni-Watch comments before, too. I understand that you might not like 'tough sh¡t' style critique, but as a designer, that's part of the real world. It's helpful if you want help. It's worthless if you go off the handle every time it comes your way. Believe it or not, 'throw it away and start over' is a perfectly valid piece of constructive criticism.

Let's just take this particular post as an example. In your mind, you're just a guy out of his element posting early stages of an architecture exploration, looking for pointers and suggestions from the peanut gallery. To the rest of us, you're a dick with a billboard-size promotional signature, plugging his designs and website left and right (maybe not as much anymore), dropping design school lessons, fishing for compliments and going first team all-defense whenever someone says something negative. You posted an architecture concept under the title, "Soldier Field Concept: You heard me..." I mean, how cocky does that sound? I know you want to sound cool, important and nonchalant when you present yourself, but it's clearly not working for you currently because I know I'm not the only one who's picked up on these things. Just get over trying to pretend that you're the man and present your work candidly, honestly and with an open mind. Defend your own work if you honestly think it was well thought out and you're proud of the physical toil and mental energy that went into it, but know that you can defend your work without being defensive, if that makes sense. We've all been in that position.

So, with that said, I'll say off the blocks that I don't love the idea of putting a football field inside a replica of another building. I think specimens of architecture should remain one of a kind, but I do think the building could be fun and interesting if executed in the right hands, using cues from greek architecture mashed with some more modern features. Your latest iteration is much better than the original exploration. I understand it's a process, but it's still a bit bland at this point

Greek architecture would look incredibly out of place used in a scale that large. Just eyeballing it, the highest point on that is atleast 400 off the ground. That is insane.

The shape of the building looks a lot like Lucas Oil to me.

Oh, and Indy is so Podunk, officials made it an Open Carry city for Super Bowl week, which was awesome.

Indianapolis is always an open carry city, except in parks and motor vehicles. Most people don't realize that, however, and there are, of course, many alcohol-related ordinances that make it difficult to have much fun in the streets, but carrying open containers of alcohol in public spaces (other than city parks) is not prohibited.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What he is saying, in short, is that saying "C&C is appreciated" followed by a hissy fit every time someone gives C&C is not how the boards run. If you don't want C&C don't post, if you're not ready to hear things you don't want to hear stay off the internet in general.

You have some good concepts, but you need to check your arrogance at the door. We get it, you're Tim E. O'Brien and you like yourself but that doesn't mean you are king of the jungle.

Also, enough of the 'smh' at the end of every post rebutting the C&C you get. Shake your head if you want, but you don't need to tell the world.

You should understand Greek architecture before using it. If this were presented to me in a studio, I would tell you to drop and switch majors. There is nothing good about this concept, and in fact your copying serves to only cheapen the original as it is an added layer of pastiche (and a pastiche which is not understood by the designer). Greek architecture is about proportion and ratios. You have absolutely none here. It is simply not good.

Chill out there professor; no need to be so harsh. The fact is he didn't present it to you in a studio, he posted it on an internet forum. Save your bullying for your students. That being said you're absolutely right, it isn't a very good concept; I just wish you weren't such a jerk about saying it.

I love how being blunt and saying what I think is bullying and being a jerk. I know many people who appreciate my style. Some of you need thicker skins.

I just feel like your constructive criticism could have been just as constructive without you saying "I would tell you to drop and switch majors".

I would say that after seeing this thread and the Northwestern thread, that your execution is improving. Go away and improve some more on SketchUp until you reach the point that your ability does not limit your concepts, then have another go.

I may also add that if you go onto the SketchUp Warehouse, you can download field templates etc. to use as a guide.

My only other comment would be that it doesnt necessarily have to be based within a parthenon, you might want to try and theme the facade off of the greek style of architecture.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I would say that after seeing this thread and the Northwestern thread, that your execution is improving. Go away and improve some more on SketchUp until you reach the point that your ability does not limit your concepts, then have another go.

I may also add that if you go onto the SketchUp Warehouse, you can download field templates etc. to use as a guide.

My only other comment would be that it doesnt necessarily have to be based within a parthenon, you might want to try and theme the facade off of the greek style of architecture.

This.

I love how being blunt and saying what I think is bullying and being a jerk. I know many people who appreciate my style. Some of you need thicker skins.

I just feel like your constructive criticism could have been just as constructive without you saying "I would tell you to drop and switch majors".

Maybe so, but sometimes people just need a wake up call.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Many stadiums have an oval shape to them, even ones that are relatively rectangular in nature. I think this could benefit a ton from having a bit more curvature, specifically on the long sides of the stadium. If you made the sides bow out a little bit, I think it would look a little more footbally.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 9 months later...

I found this off of google and was hoping the Bears were actually discussing putting a roof like this on Soldier Field. First of all, I don't want any part of the current stadium demolished. No, I was not in favor at all of building a stadium that was still the smallest in the NFL but at the same time I don't have a problem with the UFO and Greek current look. The next logical step would be expansion and a roof. To accomplish this, a building within a building would be magnificent. The Parthenon would be built over the current stadium instead of a completely new stadium.

My only concern is that I still think a Parthenon stadium should go over LP Field not Soldier Field because Nasville and the TItans have a better connection to Greece.

Archived