Renaming the Big East

Waffles

From BloombergBusinessweek:

The Big East is taking steps to ?tweak? its name now that it includes schools from California, Idaho, Texas, Tennessee and Florida, according to Joe Bailey, the conference?s former interim commissioner.

The Big East has commissioned a study to consider alternative names, Bailey said today at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit hosted by Bloomberg Link in New York. He wouldn?t say when the names would be presented to conference presidents for their consideration.

The Big Travel Nightmare?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Big East is taking steps to ?tweak? its name now that it includes schools from California, Idaho, Texas, Tennessee and Florida, according to Joe Bailey, the conference?s former interim commissioner.

The Big East has commissioned a study to consider alternative names, Bailey said today at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit hosted by Bloomberg Link in New York. He wouldn?t say when the names would be presented to conference presidents for their consideration.

They need to leave their name the same and not invite teams from across the country. I find it crazy that San Diego State and Boise State are going to be in the conference. I have a feeling that Boise will do a TCU and back out of the deal and go to a bigger conference. But the funny thing about the name change for me is that in the last two conferences that Louisville has been apart of, those conferences changed or may change their name. Metro Conference to C-USA and now the Big East to WE NEED TEAMS.

spacer.png

They need to leave their name the same and not invite teams from across the country. I find it crazy that San Diego State and Boise State are going to be in the conference. I have a feeling that Boise will do a TCU and back out of the deal and go to a bigger conference. But the funny thing about the name change for me is that in the last two conferences that Louisville has been apart of, those conferences changed or may change their name. Metro Conference to C-USA and now the Big East to WE NEED TEAMS.

And who would that be? I don't think the PAC12 is interested.

Let's see, the Big Basketball Conference?

I have lived in the Northeast my whole life, no one cares about college football here. I've gone to games at perennial powerhouses like Army, Columbia, and Dartmouth. Very riveting.

Hoops and pucks sell out though. I went to a mid major school and basketball was the big thing. I lived near a school for a while with a solid hockey team, and the games were great. The locals with no attachment to the schools went to those games. It was fun.

FACT: There is no other place for Boise State to go for football. No other conference will give them the financial windfall and TV exposure than what Joe Bailey and Chris Bevilacqua, their lead negotiator, can get with his previous experience as a TV executives. Boise's time in the WAC and MWC was giving them on average $1million/year from television. The Big East will easily be 12x that.

Plus, for them and SDSU, this is football only. Boise State had to give the Big West $2.5 million over five years with the Big East paying 80% of that.

I was thinking the BIG 12? I would think that at some point they would like to get back to 12 teams and Boise seems like a logical fit, well at least more logical than the Big East.

spacer.png

The Big 12 has had plenty of chances to grab the Broncos, and yet they haven't. What does that tell you?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was thinking the BIG 12? I would think that at some point they would like to get back to 12 teams and Boise seems like a logical fit, well at least more logical than the Big East.

You can't assign logic to this. TCU to the Big 12 is about the only logical conference moved that has happened in the latest realignment.

You can't assign logic to this. TCU to the Big 12 is about the only logical conference moved that has happened in the latest realignment.

Tcu can join the b12 when the oklahomas and texas join the pac12...16 team mega-conferences and an 8 team playoff will be the future model going forward after the current tv contracts expire.

Well that was my thinking right or wrong. I suppose apart of me would like to see them in the Big 12 alongside TCU.

spacer.png

I have lived in the Northeast my whole life, no one cares about college football here. I've gone to games at perennial powerhouses like Army, Columbia, and Dartmouth. Very riveting.

Hoops and pucks sell out though. I went to a mid major school and basketball was the big thing. I lived near a school for a while with a solid hockey team, and the games were great. The locals with no attachment to the schools went to those games. It was fun.

Perennial powerhouses? Army hasn't been good in 60 years, not to mention Columbia and Dartmouth aren't even FBS. I can't imagine you would get "pumped up" watching bad teams play in front of 20,000 people (Except when Army-Navy play in DC).

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

Perennial powerhouses? Army hasn't been good in 60 years, not to mention Columbia and Dartmouth aren't even FBS. I can't imagine you would get "pumped up" watching bad teams play in front of 20,000 people (Except when Army-Navy play in DC).

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Archived