Renaming the Big East

Waffles

Boise State plays exactly 3 tough games per year. A big opener, a bowl game, and against whichever other MountainWAC team (TCU, Nevada, etc) happens to be good that year. Contrast that with a future Big East schedule which will include Cincinnati, Louisville, UConn, USF and possibly Houston, UCF, etc. Not exactly the same as being the snot out of Utah State and New Mexico every week.

Boise is a decent program, but they fall victim to the "big fish, little pond" scenario. They've slain some giants, but I have serious doubts that they can hang in with the rigors of a tougher conference slate. I seem to recall them resting their starters by halftime in most of their conference games.

Regarding the possible Big East name change, they should consider that their history is built on teams shuffling in and out on their way to greener pastures (lookin' at you, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, West Virginia, Pitt and Syracuse).

Maybe just call it the "JuCo Conference?" Seems like their members get an Associate's Degree and then graduate to a real conference.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boise State plays exactly 3 tough games per year. A big opener, a bowl game, and against whichever other MountainWAC team (TCU, Nevada, etc) happens to be good that year. Contrast that with a future Big East schedule which will include Cincinnati, Louisville, UConn, USF and possibly Houston, UCF, etc. Not exactly the same as being the snot out of Utah State and New Mexico every week.

Boise is a decent program, but they fall victim to the "big fish, little pond" scenario. They've slain some giants, but I have serious doubts that they can hang in with the rigors of a tougher conference slate. I seem to recall them resting their starters by halftime in most of their conference games.

Regarding the possible Big East name change, they should consider that their history is built on teams shuffling in and out on their way to greener pastures (lookin' at you, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, West Virginia, Pitt and Syracuse).

Maybe just call it the "JuCo Conference?" Seems like their members get an Associate's Degree and then graduate to a real conference.

Utah seems to be doing just fine...

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

And who would that be? I don't think the PAC12 is interested.

They aren't interested now, but when the superconferences start forming and the PAC has to expand, they won't have many good options to get to 16.

I think they could very well end up with the Oklahoma schools and Texas in that scenario (which has been rumored for a while now), but then who else is left that makes any sense at all geographically? Hawai'i? Fresno State? San Diego State? Not a lot of great options there. At least Boise is a relevant top-flight program with BCS bowl wins to their name who can draw in ratings, even if the academics are lacking.

As for the Big Least's new name - how about the Blue Turf Conference? :P

Not to disrespect Boise State, but Boise mostly played in a weak conference in the WAC and now the Mountain West. Boise has the opportunity to prove that they're a top program by playing UL in the BE in 2013.

Sorry y'alls. The Big East circa 2013 is basically the pre-2003 Conference USA with Rutgers. Clearly the stuff of myth, terror, and legends, that...

The Big East is not a top conference. The only reason it still has the vestigal BCS autobid is because nobody felt it was that important to take away and the East Coast TV markets need to have something to look forward to. Boise State was added by the Big East BECAUSE it was assumed the Broncos might be something of a nationally competitive football team, something the Big East is in most urgent need of now that West Virginia went to the Big XII.

But they haven't proven that by beating Georgia or Virginia Tech?

Or Oklahoma, or Oregon (twice), or TCU, for that matter? I mean, Louisville is pretty far down the totem pole, realistically.

Oh yeah! I was just trying to think of their last 2 opening season games.

I meant that Boise plays in a real conference.

This assumes the Big East is a real conference. This is a shaky assumption.

The Big 12 has had plenty of chances to grab the Broncos, and yet they haven't. What does that tell you?

That they're still mourning the losses of the Tigers, Aggies, Buffs and Huskers?

OK, I like Nebraska too, but I'm willing to concede that ESPN has given the remaining Big XII enough monetary reasons to 1) Ignore any remaining structural concerns about league governance and 2) Not terribly miss their losses.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Let's see, the Big Basketball Conference?

I have lived in the Northeast my whole life, no one cares about college football here. I've gone to games at perennial powerhouses like Army, Columbia, and Dartmouth. Very riveting.

Hoops and pucks sell out though. I went to a mid major school and basketball was the big thing. I lived near a school for a while with a solid hockey team, and the games were great. The locals with no attachment to the schools went to those games. It was fun.

Perennial powerhouses? Army hasn't been good in 60 years, not to mention Columbia and Dartmouth aren't even FBS. I can't imagine you would get "pumped up" watching bad teams play in front of 20,000 people (Except when Army-Navy play in DC).

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Guilty as charged.

Utah seems to be doing just fine...

Utah went 8-5 last year. Granted, their starting QB got injured early season, and they were in a slight rebuilding year, but they were clearly not as dominant as they were in the MWC.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

That they're still mourning the losses of the Tigers, Aggies, Buffs and Huskers?

Texas is mourning the loss of spanking Little Red every two years. They had a lot of fun with it, though I imagine that's why you opted to play Minnesota and Indiana.

FsQiF2W.png

I'd just like to say that I think Boise State is INDEED a top-flight FOOTBALL program. They seek out top teams and play them on their home turf. They regularly whip teams from the Big XII, SEC, and PAC 12. They are expertly coached, trained, and disciplined. They've won BCS bowls and finished multiple seasons ranked in the Top 10 and Top 25.

And they've done all this without the luxury of a roster filled with 5-Star recruits. 'Powerhouse' teams like Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, and Georgia would do well to perform like Boise State.

Sigs are for sissies.

Big Nation/National or Big America/American would probably be the best options, if the conference does change.

There's a fat joke in there somewhere.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Actually, shouldn't the non-football schools agree to such a name change or contract before they start this mess?

Let's say that DePaul/Georgetown/Providence/Marquette/St.John's/Seton Hall/Notre Dame all leave. That should be able to get another east coast team and have a little hoops conference.

Actually, shouldn't the non-football schools agree to such a name change or contract before they start this mess?

Let's say that DePaul/Georgetown/Providence/Marquette/St.John's/Seton Hall/Notre Dame all leave. That should be able to get another east coast team and have a little hoops conference.

I'd let the Big East name stay with the non football schools if the conference seperates.

Archived