Colorado Rockies

raysox

The worst is drawing a concept at the very start of the first class during a double header.

So I drew a concept over 3 hours and came out with the baby to this. Lets face it, the Rockies have an outdated set. But they should always use purple, just a refresher of a logo unchanged since the early 90s. I wanted to do a traditional look with modern flair. I've tried to do this before, but failed. I did realistic mountains(used from my Denver Altitude yakball concept) on a diamond. I added some run off on the diamond to balance it all out. I did the font completely custom too. I dropped the R from the cap logo, because the Rockies are the only team that have the city and team name letter on their cap.

I hit a point where I thought I was done, but it needed something. I did draw a ball flying on my sketches but forgot about it. I wanted to do curved streaks, but got frustrated and went for angled. TURNS OUT it looked SO much better.

Rockies.png

Traditional uniforms here. I did piping and purple. I put some design on the numbers similar to the Rangers. I had to do stirrups, for a guy named Jake on the Creamer boards pushing the Rockies to wear them. That was literally my thought process. The alt is a continued movement to have a white hat in the majors.

RockiesUnis.png

I'm surprised to be saying this, but I'm really not a fan of that primary logo. To me it just doesn't feel like an MLB logo. Particularly, I think that the modern looking mountains don't match the style of the Diamond surrounding it, and the baseball just looks out of place. I think there is too much white space around the ball, which is what causes this. Obviously it is supposed to resemble the current logo, but I think the baseball needs to either be removed, enlarged/moved (to remove the white space), or edited in order to fix that.

Otherwise, I like the concept. The word mark is clean and legible, and I really love striped socks, so those are a plus. The biggest issue I see with the uniforms are the cap logo. To me, it is too similar to the Cleveland Indians hat. Maybe try using the R on the home hats and C on the away, just to give them some uniqueness. I also like the white hat a lot, and would love to see that on the field.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

its better than what they have now... but it looks like a cross between the angels/rangers font and indians C, not sure if im feeling it

I think the ball with the tail should be a sleeve patch by itself. the white hats with purple brims are a nice touch too, as well as the purple alts.

theres some good ideas here, and nothing technically wrong in execution but it feels boring and ridged; too stiff. theres so many sharp corners and angles in each logo and type i think it would benefit from some simple variety in shape. instead of using the diamond as a containing shape, try a circle.

i think the purple and white is just hard on the eyes. especially with this much purple. some addition of grey as a trim/highlight color would soften this look and could be used to define some shapes more clearly (mountains especially) not sure how you feel about pinstripes but grey pinstripes on the white uniform i think would be ace.

i bet theres a good way to use the ball over the mountain as more of a sun/moon with the streaks being integrated into the mountains. just something to think about. also on the primary logo i would drop "colorado" there. its too small as it is and making it larger dosent really do much.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm surprised to be saying this, but I'm really not a fan of that primary logo. To me it just doesn't feel like an MLB logo. Particularly, I think that the modern looking mountains don't match the style of the Diamond surrounding it, and the baseball just looks out of place. I think there is too much white space around the ball, which is what causes this.

The ball was actually after I was done, the jerseys had a non ball version of the primary because I forgot I drew a ball. Thing was, I thought it was unfinished and the ball filled the empty space. Here was the logo based off my sketches

8zjh1s.jpg

theres some good ideas here, and nothing technically wrong in execution but it feels boring and ridged; too stiff. theres so many sharp corners and angles in each logo and type i think it would benefit from some simple variety in shape. instead of using the diamond as a containing shape, try a circle. i think the purple and white is just hard on the eyes. especially with this much purple. some addition of grey as a trim/highlight color would soften this look and could be used to define some shapes more clearly (mountains especially) not sure how you feel about pinstripes but grey pinstripes on the white uniform i think would be ace. i bet theres a good way to use the ball over the mountain as more of a sun/moon with the streaks being integrated into the mountains. just something to think about. also on the primary logo i would drop "colorado" there. its too small as it is and making it larger dosent really do much.

Yeah, I get those comments. I didn't consider a roundel because half the teams use one. My original sketches had a shadow, but didn't look the same on inskcape so I ended up dropping them.

If I did do a second color, it would be a shade of grey.

Absolutely love everything about this. The rigidness about it works I think because it evokes a sort of western feel about it without screaming "HEY! WESTERN!!!11!!", you know? The straight up purple and white looks sharp and would be a welcome look for the league. I can't think of any other teams off the top of my head with just purple and white in the pro sports world, so that's something the Rockies would call thier own.

This all works. It just does. Another great one, raysox!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Honestly, I think that this concept is so fresh. I love the use of white trim on the road uniform, I love the scripts, the striped socks, and the white cap to go with the purple alternate. I get what other people are saying, but this is a look that I'd absolutely love to see become a reality.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The mountain clashing against the diamond shape is really bothering me, just doesn't look right when they don't line up. I'd use a rounded diamond like the Phillies use to hide the asymmetry (sic?). I don't like the baseball, either make it go downwards to make it look like a shooting star or better yet just leave it off. The scripts look fantastic, and I really pike the unis, however it could look better with some dark grey thrown in.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

If I did do a second color, it would be a shade of grey.

I think a light forest green would look great with this shade of purple.

That would look really good. I'm just not sure how I could put more into the set. I like the balance I have now.

@anythinglogos

What do you mean that the mountain or highlights on the mountain?

What I'm saying is that the top of the asymmetrical mountain doesn't line up with the top of the diamond. That, coupled with the ball mostly being on the heavier side, makes it feel skewed. If the ball was going leftwards it would balance it out, but now it looks like the left portion is really empty compared to the right.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I wanna start by saying right now, this set looks great. That said, as people have pointed out, it can be tweaked a bit for the better. Purple and white can work perfectly by itself, IMO. No need to throw another color in there. My high school baseball unis were just purple and white, and I'm telling you that's an incredibly clean, sharp look. Purple & white is a great combo. As far as the diamond in the logo: I LOVE the runoff you have from the diamond in the logo, I think that gives it some good character. I agree there can be something done about the baseball however. People are saying that the diamond doesn't work, and I agree with you that there are already too many circle primaries in the sport, so I'd stay away from that. Maybe try a shape similar to what they have now? Like a half circle. They're the only team in the league that utilizes a half circle like that, I think it's a good identity to build around. Not sure how the mountains would look in the half circle, but it works decently with their current logo, so I'm thinking it could maybe work with your mountains as well.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived