Smarty Jones Loses At Belmont

bosox

Man oh man, he had that! Oh so close. If I remember correctly, Zito (the winning owner) also played spoiler last year and was booed in Belmont as well.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I'm no particular fan of horse racing but I did watch this race and it was tough. Just when it looked like Smarty was gonna pull away -- birdstone or whatever caught up. Oh well, it's horse racing so I don't really care that much.

IUe6Hvh.png

It seemed like he was too much of a sure thing. Everyone assumed he would do it. There was no drama. And because of that, I had a feeling in the back of my head that it wasn't going to happen. But, once the race started it sure a heck seemed like he'd pull it off. Then Birdstone just flies by. The crowd reacted like they just saw a public execution. Crazy, crazy race.

Second!?!?!? Who the hell comes in second!?!?!?

I didn't actually see the race yet because it happened to take place in the middle of my hockey game, but everyone else in the building was stuffed into the food court area during that time. There was a loud, collective gasp when Birdstone passed Smarty Jones and I knew he'd lost. Too bad...America was ready for another one Triple Crown winner.

Second...The best horse in the last 25 years comes in second.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I didn't know what to expect out of the race in terms of whether he would win or lose because we've seen this situation alot in the past -- however, when that horse wouldn't go into the gates (he had 'ten' in his name), I thought he was a sure thing because they talked about that horse being Smarty's toughest challenger. Not to mention, the jockey of Secretariat said he thought Smarty could win by up to 25 thingies if he raced at his best.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived