The Matchups We Should Have Seen

Lights Out

Isn't this essentially one big wish list?

It's not even a wish list. Who in their right mind wants to see the 49ers burgunday and black uniforms again??

I still say that was the best they ever looked.

This. Easily better than these clownsuits...

Patrick-Willis1-239x300.jpg

You're doing it wrong....

We're really through the looking glass when we're referring to drab uniforms as clownsuits, aren't we.

Anyway Lights Out, you did try to create an original topic, so the very least I can do (well aside from snark) is to provide some C&C...

Colts/Bears-

The blue pants for the Colts is an alright look, it just doesn't fit the team. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I consider the all white look to THE definitive Colts look.

The Bears' orange jerseys, likewise, just don't work. You keep saying the navy jerseys are bland. No, they're not. They're rather sharp, actually. The Broncos finally look right again in orange, they're an orange team with blue highlights. The Bears are a blue team with orange highlights. Not every team has to be flashy or "pop," and why you keep insisting they should is kind of puzzling. Different aesthetics work for different teams. The Bears look "right" in navy.

Eagle/Browns-

Those Eagles uniforms are from the first year of the current scheme if I remember correctly (BBTV could confirm this) and they just look unfinished. Like someone designed them as a rough draft and they eventually became the jerseys they have now after some tweaking and feedback.

I don't like the orange pants with the brown jerseys for the Browns.

Rams/Lions-

This is where this whole thing starts to fall apart on you Lights. You say you don't like long sleeves and that these uniform design would be worn on modern templates. Well I actually like that Rams uniform, and I like long sleeves, so everything works. You though? You WILL NOT fit that ram horn sleeve pattern plus a number on the non-existent sleeves you think look so spiffy. So yeah, like I said, this whole thing starts to fall apart, because a few of these designs will only work with longer sleeves which you seem to dislike.

The Lions' pre-black uniforms are alright, but I prefer the current updated Lions logo.

Patriots/Titans-

No complaints here, I love that Pats set.

The Titans have a great look and to many combos. They need to reduce the number of pants and jerseys used to develop a consistent look. The combo you posted is not one I'd keep.

Falcons-

Agreed, I love that Falcons look. Again though, it's only a look that works with actual sleeves.

Jaguars/Vikings-

Give me the custom number font for the Jags please.

The Vikings? Gah. Over piped and over panelled mid 2000s nonsense.

Saints-

Sorry, I find this look atrocious.

Bills/Jets-

I rather like the current Bills look. If any past look has a one-up on it it's the 1974-83 look.

I don't get the love for this Jets look. Compare it, from the neck down, to the current look. The 1978-97 jerseys are so generic in comparison to the 1963-77/1998-present design. As for the helmet? It all comes down to logos. Neither the the JETS wordmark or the current/old logo are any good. If you're a New York team you should play up the city, not the team name, in my opinion. The JETS wordmark decidedly does NOT do that. They really just look like green versions of the Giants from that era.

Dolphins-

Meh. I appreciate the lack of navy but I prefer the current logo to any variation of the original logo.

49ers/Packers-

I love this look for the 49ers, but I think I prefer the current look a bit more. The cherry/candy red just looks to good not to use. Also, this is another uniform design that only works with long sleeves.

This look was just a tad over the top for the Packers, but it's not to bad. Again though, you need those long sleeves you seem to hate to pull it off.

Seahawks/Cardinals-

The new Seahawk uniforms are atrocious. Also mismatched.

I actually like the classic Cardinals uniforms. Slap the current, improved logo on the helmets and sleeves and you've got something.

Buccaneers-

All things considered, the creamsicles are probably a better look then what they have now.

Steelers/Broncos-

Those Steelers uniforms are interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing them. Problem is...yep, you need sleeves to pull the look off.

I love that Broncos set from the neck down, but that helmet logo is atrocious. Pair it with a blue helmet featuring the current logo or the 1968-96 logo and you'll have a sharp looking set. Again though, you need sleeves to make it work.

Cowboys/Giants-

That Cowboy set is a great update of the classic double star look, but it's just a case where it doesn't work for the team. The Cowboys shouldn't be a team that tries to be "out there."

The Giants? I prefer the recent revisions (multi-striped grey pants, red heavy road jerseys, ny under the collars).

Ravens/Bengals-

I do prefer that first Ravens set to their current set, but it's not coming back, and we all know why. Still, even though I like that set, I'm not fond for the helmet logo.

The Bengals? I prefer the later version that added the leaping tiger to the sleeves and moved the tv numbers to the shoulders.

This. Easily better than these clownsuits...

Patrick-Willis1-239x300.jpg

Gray facemask? Cut-off stripes? Weird khaki color instead of a rich metallic gold? Remind me again why people like these (or the "classic" uniforms they were based on, for that matter)?

Also, the burgundy color looked better than their current shade of red, IMO. I don't dislike the shade of red they wear now, but burgundy was more distinctive and looked really good with gold.

I am indifferent to the gray facemasks. It is a nod to tradition and has a strange but striking balance with the gold helmet. The sleeve stripes are inexcusable and should be changed. The sleeve stripes on the last set were pure garbage, with drop shadows and a logo in the middle. The metallic gold pants are a moot point now since Nike told all teams they have to wear matte pants to be "kewl", but I put them there with the gray facemasks. It's what they did traditionally. It looks peculiar, but still good for them. The burgundy looked like trash. They went away from a color scheme which no other pro or major college teams wore (after owning those colors and winning five championships) to wear colors that most football fans would always associate with Boston College or Florida State. The picture above is a powerful, unique and vibrant uniform. The last set was overstriped garbage, following the trend of the last 15 years of "let's make our colors darker for no reason just to muddle the look." Not only did they make the red darker, they added black, making the uniform even drearier. To make things worse, they eliminated all white striping from the pants and helmets.

In conclusion, the last set sucked. This above is, more or less, what the 49ers should look like forever. Red facemasks and metallic gold pants would be gravy, and the sleeve stripes need to be fixed. However, even in the current state, it is still in 49ers colors and still far better than the dreary mess they used to wear.

+1, pretty much word for word.

Part II

Redskins - Saints:

image20.jpg3fd45cf0b4fa893db75d3b3f67ab3060.jpg

Bills - Jets: Perfect as is.

Dolphins - Titans:

mercury_morris_1972_09_17.jpghouston-running-back-arian-foster1.jpg

49ers - Packers: Fine as is.

Seahawks - Cardinals:

136322250_extra_large.jpgt_26815_05.jpg

Panthers - Bucs: Fine as is...more or less.

Steelers - Broncos:

PURE%20STEEL_Hoge_s.jpgJohn+Elway.jpg

Cowboys - Giants: Fine as it is...more or less.

Ravens - Bengals: This one is going to start some :censored:.

anderson_ken_440.jpg

Chargers - Raiders: Raiders are fine as is.

lance_alworth_1968_10_01.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I am indifferent to the gray facemasks. It is a nod to tradition and has a strange but striking balance with the gold helmet. The sleeve stripes are inexcusable and should be changed. The sleeve stripes on the last set were pure garbage, with drop shadows and a logo in the middle. The metallic gold pants are a moot point now since Nike told all teams they have to wear matte pants to be "kewl", but I put them there with the gray facemasks. It's what they did traditionally. It looks peculiar, but still good for them. The burgundy looked like trash. They went away from a color scheme which no other pro or major college teams wore (after owning those colors and winning five championships) to wear colors that most football fans would always associate with Boston College or Florida State. The picture above is a powerful, unique and vibrant uniform. The last set was overstriped garbage, following the trend of the last 15 years of "let's make our colors darker for no reason just to muddle the look." Not only did they make the red darker, they added black, making the uniform even drearier. To make things worse, they eliminated all white striping from the pants and helmets.

In conclusion, the last set sucked. This above is, more or less, what the 49ers should look like forever. Red facemasks and metallic gold pants would be gravy, and the sleeve stripes need to be fixed. However, even in the current state, it is still in 49ers colors and still far better than the dreary mess they used to wear.

AMEN! Beautiful unis. Classic. Gorgeous. Colorful. Look like heaven on an HDTV.

All the drab, dark unis of the 90s should be phased out with bright, colorful unis that do well in high def.

Archived