Modern or Traditional Football Uniform fan

nuordr

Listen up guys, most people on this board have considered me to be a modern uniform junkie. Well I thought I was as well until yesterday when I listed out my top and worst looks of NFL Home teams uniform and the results were shocking to me. Now what I consider traditional and modern may be the difference in my list, but that is why I want your opinion. What type of uniform fan am I according to the NFL? Below is the list that I created. I first ranked the best uniforms in each division, then create the Top 8 Best and Worst looks based solely on the Home Teams Uniform.

The worst list will shock several people, but my reasoning is those damn gray face masks on teams that have no gray in their uniform. In addition, I have two teams is the Top 8 worst that I considered to me a modern design and only one in the Top 8 best looks.

Now based on my list, I know there will be people that disagree with me and that is fine, but based on the Top 8 alone, I believe I like more traditional designs more than modern so do you agree? Or do I just have bad taste?

NFL.PNG

spacer.png

Damn. And I thought I was serious about football uniforms.

To answer your final question, your tastes are neither good nor bad. It's all subjective; people just forget that sometimes. BTW, I agree with you 100% on your view of grey facemasks.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

It's not about "tradition or modern" it's about what looks good. You'd probably consider me a traditional fan, but I like modern designs like the Texans, Patriots, and Titans (among others) because I think they look good. I don't like the Cardinals' or Vikings' looks because I think they look bad. Not because I dislike "modern" design trends. Likewise if you tend to like modern designs there's nothing wrong with liking a traditional look either. Like what you think looks good. Don't like something just because you want to be "a modern guy" or "a traditional guy."

It's not about "tradition or modern" it's about what looks good. You'd probably consider me a traditional fan, but I like modern designs like the Texans, Patriots, and Titans (among others) because I think they look good. I don't like the Cardinals' or Vikings' looks because I think they look bad. Not because I dislike "modern" design trends. Likewise if you tend to like modern designs there's nothing wrong with liking a traditional look either. Like what you think looks good. Don't like something just because you want to be "a modern guy" or "a traditional guy."

Yeah exactly, it's not just black and white. I'm sure there are some uniforms that would be modern to some and classic to others. Some would consider the texans look classic while some would consider them fairly modern. With that being said pretty much anything with pipin would be considered modern to most if not all. And I only think the falcons look good when it come to piping.

There's a lot of uniforms that I would rank so closely that I don think I'd be able to put a list together. Yours is fairly solid though IMO. Kind of a homer pick but I think I'd put the texans first.

Yeah exactly, it's not just black and white. I'm sure there are some uniforms that would be modern to some and classic to others. Some would consider the texans look classic while some would consider them fairly modern. With that being said pretty much anything with pipin would be considered modern to most if not all. And I only think the falcons look good when it come to piping.

There's a lot of uniforms that I would rank so closely that I don think I'd be able to put a list together. Yours is fairly solid though IMO. Kind of a homer pick but I think I'd put the texans first.

It's all about whether or not I think a uniform looks good. I don't care if it was designed 30 years ago or 30 minutes ago. if it looks good, it looks good. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

all on the right track. there shouldnt be a division of traditional and modern, there should be a division of good design and bad design. and it's not all about aesthetics either, you have to account for what is appropriate. grey mask for the Browns and Colts are appropriate for their identity. sometimes you have to admit a design is good even if you don't like it

and Noudor for whats its worth (not much because who cares?), from your top/bottom choices i'd say you have terrible taste. :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's all about whether or not I think a uniform looks good. I don't care if it was designed 30 years ago or 30 minutes ago. if it looks good, it looks good. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

all on the right track. there shouldnt be a division of traditional and modern, there should be a division of good design and bad design. and it's not all about aesthetics either, you have to account for what is appropriate. grey mask for the Browns and Colts are appropriate for their identity. sometimes you have to admit a design is good even if you don't like it

and Noudor for whats its worth (not much because who cares?), from your top/bottom choices i'd say you have terrible taste. :)

Like I said, I expect people to disagree with me. Now as far as the Browns or Colts, you put a white and blue facemask on those helmets and they are top 10 teams. People say that socks make a major difference in terms of appearance and that is how I feel about the gray facemasks. To each their own.

spacer.png

Although I'm probably thought of as a crazy modernist, my tastes are really all over the map. I actually don't mind traditional uniforms, but some traditional ELEMENTS bother me (grey facemasks, long sleeves, huge sleeve stripes, non-team-color cleats). As uniform technology evolves, I don't see a problem with "traditional" looks evolving too.

Some of my favorite NFL uniforms are the Rams sleeve-horn set, the '93 Patriots set, and the 1981-2004 Bengals tiger-stripe set. Those fit into a pretty traditional uniform construct, yet contain creative elements that add visual interest.

Meanwhile, some of my LEAST favorite uniforms are the current Bengals, Patriots, and Cardinals sets. They look like Reebok/Adidas puked every cliched early-2000's piping-and-panels design all over their uniforms. None of those sets flow well at all, and they look like low-budget high school teams. The Patriots even recycled Northwestern's old late-'90s number font, making their uniforms look even more like they were ordered from a catalog.

Ultimately, what I value most in any sports uniform is creativity and consistency. It doesn't matter to me how a team meets those criteria, as long as they get there.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I tend to like modern uniforms on teams with common color schemes, unless they have enough tradition to justify going that route (i.e. the Giants). Conversely, I like teams with less common schemes to go the traditional route... Virginia Tech's "UCLA stripes" uniforms are a perfect example of why that works.

Although I'm probably thought of as a crazy modernist, my tastes are really all over the map. I actually don't mind traditional uniforms, but some traditional ELEMENTS bother me (grey facemasks, long sleeves, huge sleeve stripes, non-team-color cleats). As uniform technology evolves, I don't see a problem with "traditional" looks evolving too.

Some of my favorite NFL uniforms are the Rams sleeve-horn set, the '93 Patriots set, and the 1981-2004 Bengals tiger-stripe set. Those fit into a pretty traditional uniform construct, yet contain creative elements that add visual interest.

Meanwhile, some of my LEAST favorite uniforms are the current Bengals, Patriots, and Cardinals sets. They look like Reebok/Adidas puked every cliched early-2000's piping-and-panels design all over their uniforms. None of those sets flow well at all, and they look like low-budget high school teams. The Patriots even recycled Northwestern's old late-'90s number font, making their uniforms look even more like they were ordered from a catalog.

Ultimately, what I value most in any sports uniform is creativity and consistency. It doesn't matter to me how a team meets those criteria, as long as they get there.

I agree with your assessment of uniforms like the Bengals, Pats and Cards. The only thing I like on any of them is the Cards numeral font. Reminds you of the late-1930s through the end of WWII. Other modern uniforms that I don't like are the Iggles "Midnight Green" and the way Detroit has added Black and uses an awful numeral font. Ditto for Pittsburgh's use of the italicized NCAA-style numerals. As to long sleeves-are you referring to the compression shirts with sleeve stripes a lot of players wear today? I don't like the super-short sleeves most players wear today and much prefer the striped and sometimes numbered compression tops either long or quarter-sleeve. Proper old-time sleeve stripes are something that I miss. Teams like the Browns, Packers and the Stillers looked better in their original uniforms.

As to the Rams-horn jerseys-we saw those in advance at a Sand-Knit dealer seminar in NYC before they were introduced to the public and before Sand-Knit got the NFL contract. We also had a sample of the Dallas Cowboys first mesh jersey. It was made by Southland Athletic of Terrell, Texas, just east of Dallas. The body was made from Pro-Brite 100% Nylon Tricot Mesh with the 1/4 sleeves made frm Southland's No. 54 cloth which was 50% Nylon/50% urene Mercerized Cotton Plaited Fabric. The reason the sleeves were made this way was because the Cowboys wanted knit-in striping and you can't knit stripes into Tricot Mesh. All the numbers were tackle twill. Southland outfitted the Cowboys from 1960 through the 1980 season. Southland also made the original Brown & Gold uniforms for the Denver Broncos, the ones they bought from a defunct football organization.

I don't define my tastes by "modern" or "traditional". Me personally, I define my tastes by decade. I love the styles from the 80s (despite being a 90s kid). Colored facemasks. Sensible sleeve striping as well as the emergence of sleeve logos. White shoes. In terms of aesthetics in football, that is my favorite time period.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

So the first post was my favorite Home Teams, but now I have created my favorite Road Teams based on teams that had the option to wear colored pants on the road, if they do not generally wear colored pants on the road, then they are probably down toward the bottom of the list. Enjoy:

AwayTeams-1.jpg

spacer.png

Gray facemasks should only be used on the same day when the Yankees stop wearing pinstripes and the Cowboys switch to home-blue jerseys.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived