NHL Ice Archive (FrozenFaceoff.net)

billman29

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update on our progress. We are currently working on Vancouver. This one has taken us longer mainly on my part. I have had a family emergency which has taken up quite a bit of time but I hope to be back up to normal pace very soon. Also, after we finish the 30 current teams, we plan on hitting past teams such as the North Stars, Whalers, original Jets, etc. Hope you all are enjoying the site. More to come!

-DTC

I generally like one big logo at center ice. Two logos on each side of the red line only works if the logo has a roughly 2:1 ratio (Flyers, Canadiens), or else there's too much white space and they don't look right. Two tiny Sabres crests looks clunky to me. Having a circle within a circle only makes sense.

In general I agree with that, but I think teams get way too carried away with the logo size.

BOS+-+Dirty.png

I like the Bruins current one better, but to me that's fine as well. You don't need to go crazy with size. Pretty much every team now has this giant center ice logo. And I know where the game is being played. I don't need to be reminded every 10 seconds. That's what it comes off as to me. For some teams it does work, but not everybody.

thats the best one ive seen. im not a hockey guy at all, never seen a full game in my life, but looking at this stuff as a designer im just disappointed at how so many teams treat the center of the ice. the center line is such an eyesore in most of these applications. the Maple Leafs have some good ones, but the Bruins here have definitely done it right

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

People don't watch hockey on black-and-white TVs anymore, why can't teams just use a solid red line now? The checkered look is bad and I cringe whenever Mike Emrick calls it the "checkered line."

Quick update on our progress. We are currently working on Vancouver. This one has taken us longer mainly on my part. I have had a family emergency which has taken up quite a bit of time but I hope to be back up to normal pace very soon. Also, after we finish the 30 current teams, we plan on hitting past teams such as the North Stars, Whalers, original Jets, etc. Hope you all are enjoying the site. More to come!

-DTC

Take your time, hope everything is OK. Your site is awesome.

I generally like one big logo at center ice. Two logos on each side of the red line only works if the logo has a roughly 2:1 ratio (Flyers, Canadiens), or else there's too much white space and they don't look right. Two tiny Sabres crests looks clunky to me. Having a circle within a circle only makes sense.

In general I agree with that, but I think teams get way too carried away with the logo size.

BOS+-+Dirty.png

I like the Bruins current one better, but to me that's fine as well. You don't need to go crazy with size. Pretty much every team now has this giant center ice logo. And I know where the game is being played. I don't need to be reminded every 10 seconds. That's what it comes off as to me. For some teams it does work, but not everybody.

thats the best one ive seen. im not a hockey guy at all, never seen a full game in my life, but looking at this stuff as a designer im just disappointed at how so many teams treat the center of the ice. the center line is such an eyesore in most of these applications. the Maple Leafs have some good ones, but the Bruins here have definitely done it right

Some time, in the mid/late 90s, the NHL instituted a rule that stated that the red line could not be obstructed by any centre ice markings, logos included. It's such a shame, as it killed a lot of potentially interesting designs. Boston and Toronto, for example.

Is it permitted for the logo to poke out beyond the center circle? I would like to see the Red Wings try this: Fill the circle with the wheel, and have the wing extend out to the upper right. (Of course the blue of the circle would cut across it, but I can live with that.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Is it permitted for the logo to poke out beyond the center circle? I would like to see the Red Wings try this: Fill the circle with the wheel, and have the wing extend out to the upper right. (Of course the blue of the circle would cut across it, but I can live with that.)

I am pretty sure the logo must remain inside the circle now. NHL rules for ice graphics are pretty strict these days. In fact, the LA Kings were going to put their new primary logo on the ice last season, but there was too much black near the center and it was going to be too hard to see the puck, however I do not know if the league said something about it or if it was a decision by the Kings organization.

• 2 weeks later...

So many of those logos, especially ones that are actually quite nice, are simply drowned out by venue logos and locations.

How horrible does the Bear's 75th Anniversary logo look, simply because a gigantic ass "GIANT CENTER" logo is smothering it?

The Barons looks great because the venue is kept to a minimum. Same with Springfield.

The following link is a page where I post graphics from any other league besides NHL, AHL. It can also include college rinks.

http://frozenlocals.blogspot.com/

If you would like to see your local team's ice or any other team for that matter, please send a photo showing your teams center ice along with the League, City, State/Province/etc and the approximate date taken to frozenfaceoff57@gmail.com.

Hershey+13.png

Here is a concept for Hershey that I think is still too busy, but at least the name is less than half the size.

I think your update is a huge improvement, but I think they could have taken inspiration from the Rangers did at MSG. They could probably take out the "Hockey Club" text and substitute "Giant Center".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived